TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

UK Supercharger Site News

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by WannabeOwner, May 22, 2017.

1. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

just in case helpful to anyone I thought I would create a thread to bookmarkany threads about new Supercharger construction starting, or sites opening.

For anyone short of time to read all the threads on the forum hopefully this thread will be useful to keep up to date with progress if you want to Bookmark or Follow it. I tend to check the Supercharger Info site daily, and if there is any new UK activity I will update the relevant thread and post a comment here. That will leave any chatter about the actual sites in the relevant thread, rather than here.

2. WannabeOwner

3. WannabeOwner

4. WannabeOwner

28 May
    Warwick South M40 J13-J12 is now open (According to Supercharger Info, not showing on Tesla's site yet though)

5. TC56

TC56 Member

I did see a report that the Darts Farm site near Exeter is being expanded with 8 additional bays (not verified).

• Like x 1
  6. DJP31

DJP31 Member

IMG_0643.JPG

Work underway as at yesterday.

• Like x 1
  7. cezdoc

cezdoc Member

This Electric article mentions Supercharger expansion at Birmingham Hopwood Park. The article speculates 12 more bays are being built but on another forum 5 charger crates were counted = 10 extra bays. Ironically the article is mainly about US Supercharger network expansion ahead of the release of the Model 3 which won't affect the UK for a couple more years, but the current spike in construction activity is great news for the UK Model S & X owners!

There is also construction activity at the Oxford Supercharger, where 5 crates (=10 extra bays) have been spotted.

Info for both of the above has been scraped from other forums, I haven't been able to check for myself.

8. WannabeOwner

I saw that article, didn't recognise the "Hopwood Park" name and thus assumed it was a Birmingham in the USA !!

9. cezdoc

cezdoc Member

10. stigmeister

stigmeister Member

If any of you have had the misfortune of waiting for an hour for one of the 2 bays in Warrington you will be pleased to know that there is a replacement site in plan.

Tesla representative acknowledged the issue, said it was well documented and a new site was coming soon, with old site to be decommissioned. Will be interesting to see if that is at the Lymm interchange so serving M56 and M6 both directions, or closer to Wales which is very underserved at Chester services perhaps.

11. cezdoc

cezdoc Member

The Warrington replacement is almost certainly Burtonwood Services M62 J8 site mentioned above, not quite as well positioned as Lymm to serve travel in all directions but 8 charger cabinets are apparently on site which will give much more capacity than the current 2 bay site. A bit of a detour for the route in to North Wales but Tesla do have another "coming soon" site on the A55. No news of any construction activity in that area though, so it could be a while; there is always the option to use Ecotricity chargers with a CHAdeMO adapter in the meantime.

In the past when travelling north from South Wales I have avoided Warrington in the expectation that I'd have to wait and/or share, making Hopwood and Keele a more reliable strategy so I'm happy that this new site will give me more route options.

I wonder if the Park Royal hotel will install destination chargers when the Superchargers are decommissioned? it would seem like a good location for such a set-up.

12. GB_gen3

GB_gen3 New Member

Stopped at Newport Parnell services (South) and saw this. Looks like a 20 bay supercharger station to me..
    Not sure what the silver cabinets are to the right.

Also stopped at the fleet services (North) and saw a similar number supercharger going through the final implementation steps.

Attached Files:

13. WannabeOwner

Newport Pagnell South is 12 bays :)

14. cezdoc

cezdoc Member

Thanks for the photo! As noted by WannabeOwner the Newport Pagnell Southbound Supercharger has 12 bays (see also Tesla's website). However, I have seen comments suggesting that there is enough cabling/space available for a future 12 bay expansion at this location.

The silver cabinets to the right are the Supercharger units which generate the DC charging current. The charging stalls (the white frames holding the charge cables) are fairly simple in comparison - essentially just cabling (and lighting for the Tesla logo). Each Supercharger cabinet can generate up to 120 kW DC; charging stalls are connected to cabinets in pairs and power is shared between them if two cars are charging at the same time. So at Newport Pagnell there will be 6 Supercharger cabinets (they are out in the open in this case there but at some locations they are hidden behind fencing).

15. cezdoc

cezdoc Member

I have seen a report of four Supercharger crates (=8 bays) spotted at Welcome Break Keele - Northbound (M6 Stoke-on-Trent). No photos as yet, but it would make sense to complement the four bays already installed on the southbound side. Hopefully the southbound side will also be expanded in due course.

16. cezdoc

cezdoc Member

I have seen a report of four Supercharger crates (=8 bays) spotted at Welcome Break Keele - Northbound (M6 Stoke-on-Trent). No photos as yet, but it would make sense to complement the four bays already installed on the southbound side. Hopefully the southbound side will also be expanded in due course.

17. cezdoc

cezdoc Member

Another report, this time for Tebay Services Southbound (M6 south of Penrith): construction pretty advanced with 8 charging stalls already in place. Confirmed by a couple of pictures on another Tesla forum. Great location: plugs a gap on the west coast route to/from Scotland but also handy for visitors to the Lake District.

18. CJA Hulskamp

CJA Hulskamp Active Member

IMG_7592.JPG

At Birmingham HopWood park

19. Sound

Sound Member

I sincerely hope they DO NOT decommission the Warrington SC's at Park Royal. They are perfectly placed for me, travelling from e.g. Manchester into Wales, and I am sure for the many others I see there. The new Burtonwood site is welcome for sure but would necessitate diverting through Liverpool.

20. WannabeOwner