Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, been reading the forum for a while but this is my first official post. Has anyone noticed some more grey supercharger locations on the UK map today, I swear they weren't there yesterday. 3 that seem to stick out to me are Aberystwyth, Crossgates and Fort William?

Hi all, been reading the forum for a while but this is my first official post. Has anyone noticed some more grey supercharger locations on the UK map today, I swear they weren't there yesterday. 3 that seem to stick out to me are Aberystwyth, Crossgates and Fort William?
Hi @jgwozdzicki

Yes well spotted. As mentioned above on this occasion Elon Musk tweeted a few days ago that a worldwide map update was imminent but there isn't always any prior announcement. Big map updates seem to happen once or twice a year- the last one I noticed that added "Coming Soon" pins in the UK was in September.

Also as mentioned above most of the new points look like notional locations but there are a few changes that caught my eye:

- Scotch Corner has officially replaced Wetherby (the construction was spotted in July last year so this is no surprise) and is due to open "Summer 2018". This could well be the next new UK site to open.
- Gloucester has gone, probably moved to Worcester. The old pin was on the Gloucester services area: sister services to Tebay which already has a Supercharger - a shame if there has been a change of heart.
- pins for Derby, Ross-on-Wye and Hull have also gone.
- North Wales has moved - the old pin looked notional so why bother changing it? But then again the new pin also looks notional.
- Peartree is at a Welcome Break service area north of Oxford often touted as a good site for a Supercharger so might be an accurate pin (but the same could have been said of the old Gloucester pin).

Some "coming soon" pins, e.g. Fleet and Perth have disappeared from the map but this looks like link gremlins: they are still included on the alphabetical list at www.tesla.com/en_GB/findus/list/superchargers/United+Kingdom and actually link to the new Barlborough pin!

By my reckoining the full list of changes is as follows:

6 old (2018) "Coming Soon" pins removed/renamed:
- Amesbury (now Membury)
- Derby
- Gloucester
- Hull
- Ross-on-Wye
- Wetherby (now Scotch Corner)

19 new (2019) pins added (not all are completely fresh locations: some are moved/renamed pins and some are split sites each side of the carriageway)
- Aberystwyth
- Barlborough
- Berwick
- Cardiff Gate
- Chandler's Cross
- Coventry
- Crossgates
- Edgware
- Ferrybridge (replaces Hull?)
- Fleet (differentiates southbound from already open northbound)
- Fort William
- Great Chesterford
- Leicester Southbound (differentiates from Leicester Northbound pin)
- Membury (replaces Amesbury, presumably will be eastbound)
- Newport Pagnell northbound (differentiates southbound from already open southbound)
- Peartree (nr Oxford)
- Scotch Corner (replaces Wetherby)
- Wokingham
- Worcester (replaces Gloucester?)

Reactions: EV Guy
2019 should be Elon time I fear

Lots of charger locations on the 2017 map ... and 2016 map ... did not/ have not happened. There are sites that were installed a year ago that have not opened (greedy landowners holding up way-leave negotiations; slow government/planners; etc.) Tesla has changed to now solve Red Tape before starting installation

So best to wait for a site to open, rather than rely on, or get excited by, any proposed site.

But there are more all the time, and it makes getting around the country easier, over time :)

That will dramatically improve my East-West-East trip to Bristol :)

Reading was a tad far for a Reading-Bristol-Reading segment. Membury West fixed that ... but charging at Reading is quite a way off the M4, 4-stalls, and nothing much nearby, and nothing at all out of hours.

That will dramatically improve my East-West-East trip to Bristol :)

Reading was a tad far for a Reading-Bristol-Reading segment. Membury West fixed that ... but charging at Reading is quite a way off the M4, 4-stalls, and nothing much nearby, and nothing at all out of hours.

On the few occasions I needed to I just used the access road between the two sides, along with countless other cars.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Although its not that long (March :) ) since Membury West opened ... my Bristol jaunts were going on before that, including the SatNav trying to take me over Clifton Suspension Bridge to the Gordano services ... when I didn't have any coins with me. Scrapped the rims trying to reverse out of the toll booths ... but was in a loaner that day (and Tesla were very obliging about it ...)

Used the Polar Charger back then as an alternative too. Didn't have a Type-2 cable, so used their 13-AMP plug.

"Wouldn't you like to take out the subscription option Sir? Its only £X per month, and it avoids the £Y charge every time you connect. How long is Sir going to be connected this time?"

"21 hours"

"o_O"

Hehehe ... when I tell my grandchildren about this in 20 years time they are going to neither understand nor care !