Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried the new Mansfield / East Midlands Designer Outlet superchargers this weekend. They were phenomenal. Plugged in at 17% and it went straight up to 211Kw. Very fast, and the shopping centre is a welcome change from the normal service stations/hotels. Shops are open until 8pm, but a couple of the food places are open until 9pm. After that you can still access the site by buzzing the security to lift the barriers (this is signposted). If everything is closed, there is a path over the dual carriageway to a 24 hour McDonalds which is only about 5 minutes if that to walk. I imagine if you are a woman alone at night this isn't a good place to stop.

The faster chargers saved time off my Cardiff-Newcastle hop - quicker than stopping at Hopwood Park and Scotch Corner ParkingEye.

Has anyone seen any work on site at Birch Services on M62? I can see that Tesla have updated their website to say Q3 now instead of Q4.

Having now given up any hope for the Brighouse Services ever opening (Tesla have removed this from their site), Birch services are a decent alternative.

It's been a while since Charnock Richard Supercharger access came up on the forum. It's on the northbound side (M6) and there used to be reports of no access from the southbound services. Is this still the case?

There is an access barrier and warning signs telling you you will be fined if not authorised to use the exit, but I gather that barrier/sign has been there for a few years and no sign of anybody ever being fined, and the barrier is permanently up.

I've used it a couple of times to charge and then nip out of that barrier to get to a bike shop just on the other side and no issues.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I have been hunting for price changes for SuperCharging, as since March it seems like a number of sites have increased their prices (across the board) to 30p+ pkwh, while still cheaper than BP Pulse (free membership @ 42p pkwh) I can't seem to find any info on historical prices or trends for the Tesla supercharger network... plus it seems that they dropped any publicly accessible charging cost info other than the in car sat nav?

When I was able to go every other week up to the football, the riser up from the ground was always in place. The hotel manned the barrier. I don't get why it would be down, unless covid closure has led to had to be flat, as hotel closed.

I suppose Highways England could either step in now, to insist it is in place to stop throughput or relent for good...

It's been a while since Charnock Richard Supercharger access came up on the forum. It's on the northbound side (M6) and there used to be reports of no access from the southbound services. Is this still the case?
Adapado, my home Wall Connector failed in the deepest darkest time of lockdown and I popped to Charnock Richard for a charge. Must have been last Autumn at a guess. I did the shortcut over the bridge and was charging no problem and never received anything about my cheeky little diversion in the post or anything. However, whilst charging I I did see a Mini that had come into the Northbound ’secret‘ entrance engaging with a Police car in some shape or form for about 5 minutes at the entrance. I obviously don’t want to be alarmist about it as I have no idea what they were talking about. Could have been a chat about the weather for all I know but it did get me wondering if it does get monitored still when there are Police around. Also worth bearing in mind that it obviously wasn‘t a shortcut to Tesla charging and it could be that, with a good reason to do the shortcut, it’s less of a ‘crime’?

has there any been any official comment as to whether it’s definitely allowed or is it just a Tesla Driver acceptance that nobody has ever been nicked and so it must be allowed?

EDIT: a quick search turned up this so ignore my last question England M6 Charnock Richard SC

Last edited:
Adapado, my home Wall Connector failed in the deepest darkest time of lockdown and I popped to Charnock Richard for a charge. Must have been last Autumn at a guess. I did the shortcut over the bridge and was charging no problem and never received anything about my cheeky little diversion in the post or anything. However, whilst charging I I did see a Mini that had come into the Northbound ’secret‘ entrance engaging with a Police car in some shape or form for about 5 minutes at the entrance. I obviously don’t want to be alarmist about it as I have no idea what they were talking about. Could have been a chat about the weather for all I know but it did get me wondering if it does get monitored still when there are Police around. Also worth bearing in mind that it obviously wasn‘t a shortcut to Tesla charging and it could be that, with a good reason to do the shortcut, it’s less of a ‘crime’?

has there any been any official comment as to whether it’s definitely allowed or is it just a Tesla Driver acceptance that nobody has ever been nicked and so it must be allowed?

EDIT: a quick search turned up this so ignore my last question England M6 Charnock Richard SC
Looks like the same mess as ever. I’ve never understood why it has to be a problem when it works at some other locations eg Tebay

Oxford Redbridge details now released to the press. 12x V3.

The A34 for a main route down to Southampton / Bournemouth isn’t well served at present. I can see this one coming in handy along with planned ones at Winchester & one north of Southampton on the M27.

The A34 for a main route down to Southampton / Bournemouth isn’t well served at present. I can see this one coming in handy along with planned ones at Winchester & one north of Southampton on the M27.
It’s not a route I’m familiar with but when I was looking at the map I did wonder whether it would be valuable for A34 traffic despite being close to the other Oxford site.

It’s not a route I’m familiar with but when I was looking at the map I did wonder whether it would be valuable for A34 traffic despite being close to the other Oxford site.
The other one near Oxford is on the M40 and is a little out of the way for A34 traffic and is V2. It might get busy as it serves both northbound & southbound traffic. There are some on the M40 at Warwick and also a little way off the M40 at Banbury, but for me something a little further south is ideal from a personal perspective.

I’ve done that route quite a few times, but none since I got the Tesla due to COVID.

The more the better as far as I’m concerned. Hopefully in a years time most routes that I use will be well covered by Superchargers. The main one that isn’t is that large southbound stretch on the M5 without one.