Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry i forgot to post my report of my site visit!!

Starbucks is the coffee shop :)

Oh and no sign of any charge units near or around the area, they still haven't got to laying the tarmac or paving slabs but very close to doing it. I recon a few week it will be complete. I was raining when I drove past.

I'll have another look next week and hopefully see more

When would they deliver the units to site to get fixed in? Weeks before or a few days before?

Reactions: cezdoc
Is there a list of Superchargers which have been converted to CCS for the model 3?

Tracker CCS on Superchargers

That implies that half a dozen UK sites have no CCS yes (but Elevden, at last, is wrong and it seems unlikely that Newport Pagnell doesn't ...) and that about 50% of sites have had ALL stalls converted. Rest of EU has close to 100% of sites with at least a couple of CCS-capable stalls, maybe (now) UK does too and the list is out of date ...

Note that Satnav in M3 ONLY shows you CCS-capable Supercharger, so it won't be offering you one that isn't ready for you :)

Sorry i forgot to post my report of my site visit!!
When would they deliver the units to site to get fixed in? Weeks before or a few days before?
Historically it appears that Step 1 is delivery of charging equipment: Supercharger cabinets (with white covers but displaying the Tesla logo and site name), supply cabling, the concrete feet that are the foundations for the charging stalls, and these days the wheel stops to prevent you backing in too far. Usually parking bays are fenced off at this time and groundworks are undertaken & completed (stall foundations, underground cabling and cabinets put in place). This usually happens within a week or two of equipment delivery. Then there is a pause of between 1 week and several months before the plastic stall cladding and charger cables with sockets are installed (they don't seem to be left on site).

• Informative
Reactions: ediflyer
At the end of last week there were a couple of new additions to Tesla's "Coming Soon" wishlist:

Tesla Superchargers in United Kingdom | Tesla UK

Aberdeen (but beware, if you follow the link you end up in Maryland!)
Builth Wells
Colchester (already under construction)
Eurocentral (already under construction)
Fleet (coming soon) (back again after dropping off the list at the start of 2018)
Inverness (back after disappearing when Aviemore opened)
Leavesden (already under construction)
Tamworth

As far as I can tell, none of the other grey pins have gone (for example, Crossgates (near Builth Wells), Ipswich (near Colchester), Chandler's Cross (near Leavesden) ). I don't expect these pairs to last long!

Target time "2019". That's Tesla Time (TM) of course.

There's also a couple more in Eire ("Target 2020"): Cork, Athenry (nr Galloway) & Sandyford (Dublin).

not 6 as shown on the spreadsheet

Now that pretty much all sites have "some" I think some of the appetite for updating that spreadsheet has gone? Although it does seem to contain recent data

I suppose whoever initiated the spreadsheet thought Info would be needed on the assumption that Tesla would not get round the whole of EU in a 3 months !!

By my calculation:

436 sites have been converted, and 18 yet to do
There was an initial "test" of 15 sites over 4 weeks
thereafter 407 sites where converted (many "just 2 stalls") within 12 weeks (nearly 35 sits per week) which I find really impressive
The remaining 14 have been done in dribs and drabs over the subsequent 10 weeks

Whole-site conversion is complete for 219 out of the 436 completed sites, and over the last couple of months has been running at about 15 sites a week

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W. and cezdoc
I was at Fleet services yesterday and I think I counted 10 bays all new with chargers yet to be unwrapped.

Does this mean that Fleet superchargers are not real? Or at least not Model 3 ready? All the different connectors still confuse me sometimes. Presumably with M3 being CCS (only?), will it work with an existing supercharger? Or is it SC and CCS ready?

Fleet is my nearest supercharger - don't normally use the services as its so close to home so have not taken a look, but being a supercharger, that may make it an emergency/convenience stop going forward with M3 ownership. Just don't want to rock up there in early days of ownership and find nada.

Update on Leicester Forest East South bound services.

No sign of any SC or bays (looks like parking for the Starbucks), it has also been rumoured that the company that was supposed to install them at LFE (and other sites apparently) has gone into administration and has left all construction that they were about to do and carrying out in the hands of the administrators.

All we can do is wait (and hope!) for the administrators to sell off what they have to someone else that will carry on the works.

Company is Camborne Energy that has gone bump.

Last edited:
Does this mean that Fleet superchargers are not real? Or at least not Model 3 ready? All the different connectors still confuse me sometimes. Presumably with M3 being CCS (only?), will it work with an existing supercharger? Or is it SC and CCS ready?

Fleet is my nearest supercharger - don't normally use the services as its so close to home so have not taken a look, but being a supercharger, that may make it an emergency/convenience stop going forward with M3 ownership. Just don't want to rock up there in early days of ownership and find nada.

Northbound are working fine. 12 stalls, 8 are live, 4 are ready for Model 3.

D9A9CDCA-8C2E-41DC-8CB4-6E29024EC98B.jpeg

Southbound (12) are not online at all yet.

0784B912-B43E-4D4E-9340-2FB0B228C7A2.jpeg

The supercharger finder on the built in navigation on your Model 3 will only suggest location with stalls compatible with your car.

Last edited:
Does this mean that Fleet superchargers are not real?

Work started on Fleet Welcome Break Southbound, M3 on 21-Sep-2017 - Tesla must be WELL pissed about it. There are a handful of sites from back then, still not live, where greedy landowners are trying to hold Tesla to ransom; red tape not sorted; and so on.

All the different connectors still confuse me sometimes. Presumably with M3 being CCS (only?), will it work with an existing supercharger? Or is it SC and CCS ready?

When M3 launched in EU Tesla retro-fitted a M3-compatible CCS "plug" to a couple of stalls at existing EU Supercharger sites, including UK. Of the 436 sites in EU only 18 have not yet been converted. Over 50% of the converted sites have had "all stalls" converted.

SatNav on M3 will only take you to Superchargers which have already been converted.

You can also charge at any 3rd party site that has CCS, although there are only a couple in UK, so far, that are over 50kW (Supercharger is 120kW-ish)

Fleet is my nearest supercharger

When you are out-of-range your best Supercharger is the one nearest to your destination - Battery charges fastest 10% - 60% so benefit in stopping when it is "low". Topping up when "nearly full" takes MUCH longer. But realistically 50 - 100 miles from home would be "ideal", something really close to home is probably going to be "too far" when home is also "too far"

Also, if you stop close to your destination you will already have had any delays for traffic / roadworks - spending 20 minutes driving at 40 MPH will dramatically reduce fuel consumption, so when you stop later on you will need less (to reach your destination). You might even find you can get home without the splash-and-dash you had expected :)

(That assumes you have off-street parking and home-charger)[/QUOTE]

Thanks both for info on Fleet - saved a potential wtf moment as would have expected to go for an SC explore soon after taking delivery - wouldn't have been off to a good start.

Thankfully its Fleet 'northbound' that is in service, so its on way back from west country/Southampton. Doesn't matter which way for an emergency fill-up, but would have been a pita if it was other side as with us being off at M3 J4, only south/west bound would have meant an additional U-turn.

Unfortunately, we are back in the position where an emergency 60 mile round trip is always on the cards, so we need to be mindful with how much we have available (probably 25-30% min in winter) when we get home just incase we need to go straight back out with no time to get a meaningful charge back in at home.

Before committing to M3, I had a number of simulations (done with abetterrouteplanner) of trips in various climates and battery states that we may need to do in various cars Tesla/iPace/eTron. Havant and Warrington (although I understand that Trent is probably a better bet) SC's were the deal maker for us - and now I see Liphook. South coast is rather sparse for meaningful charging and our holiday appt has no way to get external power. Tesla's 300+ mile options seem to be the only ones at this point in time that fulfil our needs in the time frames needed. I just hope that ABRP is as accurate as many make out as it has been central to our decision making.

I'm another person who uses the fleet northbound charger a lot, and its awesome because its always free (no queue) and i used to stop there en-route to London for coffee anyway. Plus i have free supercharging :D.
The situation with the southbound charger drives me nuts. I've even tweeted at elon about it twice. If my local MP didn't hate my guts I'd be pestering him to look into it (although its outside his constituency anyway).
I would love to know the holdup. The government claims to be pro-ev charging, yet clearly are happy to allow this bullshit to continue.. may have to write angry letters :D

Tesla NEEDS that southbound one ASAP. Its a prime spot, at exactly the right distance coming out of london for people doing a trip to the SW. Plus the bays are super visible as you drive in to the very popular services so its prime, free branding.

so we need to be mindful with how much we have available ... when we get home just incase we need to go straight back out

Sounds like it would be worth topping up at Supercharger on your way home to mitigate that risk. There isn't a lot of different in charging speed between stopping at anything up to 60% and 80% (each 10% below 60% is about 5m, 70%-80% is 9m, slows down significantly after that)

I just hope that ABRP is as accurate as many make out

It has been for me - and that's not including Traffic / Roadworks, which saves fuel / increases Range

I've emailed him

:cool: