TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

UK Supercharger Site News

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by WannabeOwner, May 22, 2017.

1. IanMcL

IanMcL Member

The TV said that currently, there were no vehicles, on the market, which would use them to capacity. Current models not equipped.

2. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Waiting patiently for a tow

#462 VanillaAir_UK, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    If it was the article I saw, the company is Ionity (IONITY - Wikipedia) a joint venture from VAG, BMW, Mercedes, Ford and hopefully others.

The were 350kW chargers, which, as mentioned, no current car is equipped to charge at, although the Audi guy was quick to jump in and mention that an upgraded version of e-tron would.

I think the 40x is number of individual charge points, not geographical sites. There seem to be 2 UK sites so far (4 chargers each) and one in Eire. So 8 charge points in total for the whole of UK. Maybe 10 geographic sites for whole of UK? IMHO hardly worth the news story especially as it was mostly about the speed of charging from 350kW capacity stools.

200 sites, Europe wide planned by 2020.

Screenshot (142).png

3. dan223

dan223 Member

Does anyone know any progress for Colchester and Brighton superchargers?

4. Slarty1080

Slarty1080 Member

And its still reported as coming soon in July 2019. Frankly I don't believe it. It's not coming soon its coming some time or never

• Like x 1
  5. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

Any more news on this one? The "Decision Notice" at that link said it was approved August 2018.

6. zap fizzle

zap fizzle Member

Isn't it fascinating watching the almost complete lack of progress on superchargers in England, and contemplating the M3 sales buzz.

The "opening soon" sites on the map are just another example of Tesla's marketing including bare-faced lies.

There's going to be utter chaos at the popular supercharger sites within months. I'm surprised at the denial on this forum; doubling the number of Teslas on the road in a year cannot possibly result in anything other than carnage at Birchanger, Norton Park, Leeds, any of the London sites. There are going to be "I paid £40k for this car but I can't use it because I can't charge" stories in the press this time next year.

Their MO is to lie like crazy and gaslight owners; that might work OK for them when it's stuff like "breaking AP2 until it's an unusable mess and can't even do cruise control" or "removing 10kWh of capacity from peoples packs overnight" but I don't think it's going to fly when people trying to drive from London to Leeds have to queue an hour to get on a supercharger.

• Disagree x 3
  7. gangzoom

gangzoom Member

So greedy land owners refusing to give access for power cables, or Ecotricity having a legal monopoly at most M way service have nothing to do with??

If the UK government is serious about EV adoption they need to make legal changes to allow chargers to be installed quicker.

I cannot see Fastned or Ionity managing to do any better over the next few years in the UK either.

• Like x 4
  8. gangzoom

gangzoom Member

Who about I paid £70k for an iPace/eTron/Merc EV and cannot charge stories??

If you think Tesla owners have it bad you need to go and see what life is like for every other EV other owner.

9. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Member

Yes they also need to block monopolies like Ecotricity from being the only charge point operator at certain places

• Like x 2
  10. goRt

goRt Member

The other way of looking at this is Tesla's too cheap to pay the going rate or didn't think things through and ecotricity is paying for the privilege of exclusivity at some motorway services as part of its business model.

11. gangzoom

gangzoom Member

And Ionity, Fastned are going to do any better here in the UK??

12. Mr Miserable

Mr Miserable Member

I was lead to believe the recent delay to supercharger commissioning was because of the decision to go ahead with V3. Once production of the V3 version has ramped up and existing sites are converted I would expect to see a fairly rapid expansion.

• Funny x 1
  13. vitesse

vitesse Member

Do any of these half finished sites, of which there seem to be many, eventually get commissioned?

14. pgkevet

pgkevet Member

Aah... the optimism of a Tesla owner..

They could just as easily decide to let other companies roll out BP's forecourt chargemasters, the chargemasters at Mitchell and Butler Pubs, Tesco's link up with VW. Mind you there'll only be 1 or 2 stalls at each site but hopefully another site down the enxt street..Chargemaster Bingo and Polar Pogo will enter the Oxford Dictionary as Chingo and Popogo

• Funny x 3
  15. Asterix187

Asterix187 Member

I get your point but that’s why I bought a tesla and not one of the mentioned cars above.

16. culverwood

culverwood Member

Just drove the Tesla to East Anglia. Wow, its a desert for Superchargers out there!

• Like x 1
  17. Marc Roberts

Marc Roberts Member

I'm in Wells-next-the-sea, no particularly useful charging here....

18. Roy W.

Roy W. Member

Yes, apart from Grantham and Elveden, the whole of the east of the country is pretty much neglected! Going north the next SC near the east coast is Washington, Tyne & Wear. Something around Hull would be a good idea.

• Like x 1
  19. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Waiting patiently for a tow

Sussex coast is pretty baron too. Something promised for Brighton, but Havant (further west) and then Liphook changed viability for us. We don't have home charging when we are in that part of the world and 7kW (2 car point) whilst grocery shopping isn't really going to be something to rely on.

Unfortunately we have to factor in possible need for an unscheduled 50 mile dash so can't let things get too low.

• Like x 1
  20. zap fizzle

zap fizzle Member

Hahaha hahaha hahahahahaha <breathe> hahahahahahaha

They didn't let waiting for v3 stop them expanding Grimtham.

If that excuse came from Tesla, it's just another example of them lying.

• Disagree x 1