Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It costs no-one anything though and you get the £80 of miles yourself too, so it's foolish to miss out.

Indeed, just didn't want anyone who hadn't done that to feel they had missed out.

You've actually got to be going somewhere too ... if you are just using the free 1,000 miles at the Supercharger instead of charging at home on an Off Peak tariff you'd only be saving £20-30 ... for sitting at Supercharger for nearly 4 hours ...

Given that folk may need to Supercharge on the way home from collection (or indeed "want to try it out") the Freebie Supercharging does make that easier. Dunno what the deal is if you haven't registered a credit card at that moment in time (credit card used for deposit would be assumed, but if that had expired in the meantime etc ...) so could be a snag I suppose (it used to be that if No Credit Card on file you would get charged at next service, dunno if that still applies and Tesla laid-back about it) ... so Referral is a solution to that.

Personally I think its only effect is to clog up the Superchargers, albeit that I don't think many people will actually use that amount up within 6 months. I'm a relatively high mileage driver (30,000 miles a year) and only in some 6 months periods do I nudge above 1,000 miles at Supercharger.

No denying the psychological effect though. If they offered 80-quid off the car I don't suppose it would make any difference ... whereas "1,000 free miles" seems much more attractive ...

you get the £80 of miles yourself too

and also the 6 months ... so if you have two referrals you have 2,000 miles to use up, and 12 months to do it in, which would be handy if you have a long trip 6+ months from now. However, law of diminishing returns on being able to use them up. The entry in the Draw might be more worthwhile, even if long odds ...

Bjørn Nyland has 1,000,000 KM in referrals ... and 139 years to use them up in :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
Indeed, just didn't want anyone who hadn't done that to feel they had missed out.

You've actually got to be going somewhere too ... if you are just using the free 1,000 miles at the Supercharger instead of charging at home on an Off Peak tariff you'd only be saving £20-30 ... for sitting at Supercharger for nearly 4 hours ...

Given that folk may need to Supercharge on the way home from collection (or indeed "want to try it out") the Freebie Supercharging does make that easier. Dunno what the deal is if you haven't registered a credit card at that moment in time (credit card used for deposit would be assumed, but if that had expired in the meantime etc ...) so could be a snag I suppose (it used to be that if No Credit Card on file you would get charged at next service, dunno if that still applies and Tesla laid-back about it) ... so Referral is a solution to that.

Personally I think its only effect is to clog up the Superchargers, albeit that I don't think many people will actually use that amount up within 6 months. I'm a relatively high mileage driver (30,000 miles a year) and only in some 6 months periods do I nudge above 1,000 miles at Supercharger.

No denying the psychological effect though. If they offered 80-quid off the car I don't suppose it would make any difference ... whereas "1,000 free miles" seems much more attractive ...

and also the 6 months ... so if you have two referrals you have 2,000 miles to use up, and 12 months to do it in, which would be handy if you have a long trip 6+ months from now. However, law of diminishing returns on being able to use them up. The entry in the Draw might be more worthwhile, even if long odds ...

Bjørn Nyland has 1,000,000 KM in referrals ... and 139 years to use them up in :rolleyes:

That’s helpful, as I didn’t realise that gaining another referral gave you a further six months to use the miles, I assumed it would just reset the 6 month counter back to zero.

That’s much more valuable to me now I know that.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
That’s much more valuable to me now I know that.

Refer yourself, and put both cars on the same My Tesla count. Even better :) Both parties get the 1,000 miles, but they are shared by all vehicles on the account. Plus any other referrals you get are available to all vehicles in your My Tesla. So might be worth a family member sharing an account, rather than having their own.

At least i *think* that's how it is supposed to work (Tesla Chaos aside of course ...)

• Informative
That’s helpful, as I didn’t realise that gaining another referral gave you a further six months to use the miles, I assumed it would just reset the 6 month counter back to zero.
Yep that's one of the key benefits IMO. I've got one referral made so 6k over 12 months is way more handy than 5k over 6! No home or work charging either so suspect I'll use a fair chunk of it.

I've got one referral made so 6k over 12 months is way more handy than 5k over 6!

I don't think it works like that. I think your 5x boost 5,000-mile referral has to be used n the first 6 months, and then the second 1,000 miles in the second 6 months. But I may be wrong ... and that isn't how Bjorn has calculated his (but I suspect his calculation is more For Telly than accuracy :)

I have a 5x boost referral ... if another would extend that 6 months it would make it worth while for me to BUY one !

I don't think it works like that. I think your 5x boost 5,000-mile referral has to be used n the first 6 months, and then the second 1,000 miles in the second 6 months. But I may be wrong ... and that isn't how Bjorn has calculated his (but I suspect his calculation is more For Telly than accuracy :)

I have a 5x boost referral ... if another would extend that 6 months it would make it worth while for me to BUY one !

It seems clear enough in the referral rules...

Free Supercharger miles will apply to any vehicles on the same account, and will expire 6 months after the miles are added. Each additional referral will extend the expiration date by 6 months.[\quote][\quote]

Last edited:
Just to clarify:

Time limited to be used by new owner within 6 months

1,000 miles @ 333wH/mile = 333kWh @ £0.24p is £80 ... not exactly significant

(if I have done my maths correctly ...M3 should get more miles than that, I have no idea how Tesla converts "1,000 miles" to kWh)
I believe I recall Model 3 is "rated" by Tesla at 250 watts per mile, making a kW = 4 miles, and the LR 75 kW pack thus = 300 miles, which equates to the true real world range in decent weather. 1000 miles at that rate is just £60.
Whether 1000 free miles is "worth" £60 or £80 is not really the point though. It is a "nice to have", but not a big deal on a £50,000 purchase.
Some of us (me) will have £5000 free miles, and I will struggle to even use that in six months. I will have a good go though.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Update on Hunton Bridge (Mercure hotel at Hunton Park, Essex Lane, WD4 8PN) (so called 'Leavesden Site').

Probably the worst case of ICEing - that wont really bother anybody for a while at least!

Picture taken today (8 August 2019), so no progress recently.

Hunton bridge ICEing 2019-08-08.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: cezdoc and Roy W.
We are visiting the Harry Potter Museum 1.October, do you recon Hunton Bridge will be opened by then?

No way of knowing ... plenty of history of sites getting to completion state and then there being a massive holdup for some arguing-the-toss.

A1/M25 intersection South Mimms Supercharger is not far away ... depending on which direction you are going

South Mimms Supercharger | Tesla UK

Did my good deed for the day, helped another Tesla driver get the right side of the confusing South Mimms Superchargers.

Two model 3s there at the same time too.
Blue performance
White SR/LR

Still haven’t seen a red M3 in the flesh yet. Can one of you make sure you're here next time I am, please ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: ediflyer