Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
still only have a small number of stalls converted

I've seen this quoted a few times recently, not sure where it comes from ...

76% of all stalls in the UK have been converted, and all sites have at least 2 stalls converted. Risk that Model-S/X owners don't realise and occupy those stalls.

There are a few significant (i.e. large) sites with only 2 stalls converted

SatNav shows number of stalls, so if only 2 showing then you could choose to charge elsewhere if available. There aren't many Ionity sites available in UK yet, but if there is one en route it should be faster than Supercharger

In particular, current superchargers modules (same as used to be used in the cars) are of a design where the limiting factor is the current - running flat-out they will always draw 16A/phase and the power will therefore be higher if the supply voltage is higher.

The published output rating of the complete supercharger cabinet is 115kW at 380/220V (historic France), 120kW at 400/230V (EU notional) and 145kW at 480/277V (USA). I am not sure if the step up from 145kW to 150kW is pushing the current a bit harder or just that they get slightly above notional voltage at those sites.

Back in the UK, some sites have a grid connection at 11kV and Tesla-supplied transformers to American spec (480/277V) and so get the same out of them as sites in the USA. The small UK sites picking up whatever existing supply is already there may well be only around 400/230V and so 120kW output. Sites with a standard DNO-installed transformer will have transformers wound for 253V - since UK supply is now* officially 230V +10%-6%, the maximum they are allowed is 253V so they start with max possible by the transformer and allow it to droop through the wiring towards the consumers. Tesla with the superchargers installed right next to the transformer will be seeing very close to 253V, so scaling the published numbers that would give 132kW output.

Possibly the 138kW vs 132kW represents the same 'pushing harder' as took USA sites from 145 to 150, or possibly they have been able to negotiate that where they have a dedicated 253V transformer that it be tapped for a slightly higher voltage - out of spec for public supply but still within the capacity of the standard-fit transformer.

*(and in the old days it was 240V+-6% so max of 254V - actually no change!)

Out of interest, do they share where they are planning super chargers at all?
Where i live (board of Cambridgeshire and Bedfordshire), if i go north, south or west, I have no issues with there being a super charge on my normal routes. However if i go east the only super charger is Theford which is well out of the way unless you are going to Norwich. Anything on the A14 would nice.

Perhaps in all the work going on around A14 East... Cambridge services would be ideal.

Reactions: Tatoo1 and Roy W.
Drove past this a couple of times yesterday, going to be a handy one for me! Apparently there's a meetup happening there today?

Yep, the Owners Group do what they call a “Scramble” pretty much as soon as a new Supercharger site opens. Just a bunch of friendly enthusiastic owners, usually a glass of glass of something floating around and banter around all things Tesla.

There are currently only 9 out of 50 where they have more than 2 stalls and only 2 have been converted to CCS, the rest have more than 2 stalls converted where there are more than 2 stalls.

The spreadsheet may not be up to date but here it is
Tracker CCS on Superchargers

Any idea why they haven't done many at Warwick? That would seem to be a fairly major trunk route location.

That sheet seems to be missing Launceston, Cornwall.

Any idea why they haven't done many at Warwick? That would seem to be a fairly major trunk route location.

But so are many of the other incomplete ones (Keele, Hopwood park). I suspect it's more a matter of not having got round to it than any strategic intent - they quickly went round and did 2 stalls everywhere, but seem to have been more sporadic at going back to fill out to full coverage.

It could be based on actual measured demand - but I bet it isn't.

Reactions: Roy W.