Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My satnav was taking me to the next junction and back!

I just made a leap of faith! Weather was atrocious!
That's the service road you have to access by getting off just before at junction 30 isn't it? I know it comes out right by the superchargers but is that actually allowed? The location of the chargers makes it look like it was designed that way but could you get into trouble? I ask because I am due a car and Woodall while Northbound would be a very very useful stopping off point but I don't want to get into trouble. I assume the no entry s there for a reason?

That's the service road you have to access by getting off just before at junction 30 isn't it? I know it comes out right by the superchargers but is that actually allowed? The location of the chargers makes it look like it was designed that way but could you get into trouble? I ask because I am due a car and Woodall while Northbound would be a very very useful stopping off point but I don't want to get into trouble. I assume the no entry s there for a reason?
Strictly speaking it’s not allowed - emergency and authorised vehicles only. I used to use them regularly several years ago when we had the Leaf, as there always seemed to be the Ecotricity charger out of order on one side!

Highways England are supposed to be getting the MSA operators to clamp down on unauthorised use - there’s talk of installing ANPR cameras for enforcement. If you do get caught I think it’s a fine and 3 points

FC09F60F-E574-4604-8CEC-01C1AA3193FF.png
Hi,

I charged my SR+ M3 for the first time at Keele M6 yesterday.
What charge rates should I expect?
I was expecting ~100kw, but I only achieved 41kw which is what my old Nissan Leaf received from Ecotricity pumps. Disappointing.

View attachment 474243 Hi,

I was expecting ~100kw, but I only achieved 41kw which is what my old Nissan Leaf received from Ecotricity pumps. Disappointing.

Charged my SR+ at Woodall yesterday, it’s first time having just driven up from Birmingham. Battery would have been at temperature, I wasn’t sharing with anyone else, I had 90 mile range left but it only charged at 61kw. I was expecting a bit quicker.

A few weeks ago I went all detective to find out more about the Mid Wales Supercharger.
It was originally on the coming soon list for Llandindod Wells, and I saw it had moved to Builth Wells.
after speaking to the owner of the Metropole Hotel and Spa in Llandrindod Wells (They have the Polar charger there) who confirmed the Tesla Superchargers were originally going in there. However when they received paperwork, were not happy to let them develop the site for whatever reason.
The search continued and I then spoke to the lovely new owners at the Cae Beris Manor Hotel in Builth Wells. They confirm they are having the Tesla Superchargers there and hope it will be within the next 6-9 months or so.
When we spoke, they were waiting on paperwork apparently. I also note they have updated their website confirming they will be the first location in Mid Wales to have Superchargers.

Our Environment — Caer Beris Manor Hotel

They already have destination chargers there. It is going to be a lovely location when completed. Nice food too.

Reminder that this thread is for NEWS about Supercharger Sites ONLY please. Sites opening / closing / not working, and for just a link to other threads where discussion is taking place.

Then folk that just want news can bookmark this thread for useful info and not be bombarded with chatter.

Thanks

There are many different factors that affect the rate ... including some chargers sometimes running slow. Were you in a "paired" stall? That splits the power between adjacent vehicles. Did you set the navigation in the car to arrive at the Supercharger? This is more important in cold weather as it makes sure to warm up the battery before you arrive so that you get the maximum charge. You will also tend to get your maximum charge rate at lower percentages (though at 60% it should indeed be higher than you were seeing). Keep an eye on things but my view is that it's unlikely to be a car problem.

A few weeks ago I went all detective to find out more about the Mid Wales Supercharger.
It was originally on the coming soon list for Llandindod Wells, and I saw it had moved to Builth Wells.
after speaking to the owner of the Metropole Hotel and Spa in Llandrindod Wells (They have the Polar charger there) who confirmed the Tesla Superchargers were originally going in there. However when they received paperwork, were not happy to let them develop the site for whatever reason.
The search continued and I then spoke to the lovely new owners at the Cae Beris Manor Hotel in Builth Wells. They confirm they are having the Tesla Superchargers there and hope it will be within the next 6-9 months or so.
When we spoke, they were waiting on paperwork apparently. I also note they have updated their website confirming they will be the first location in Mid Wales to have Superchargers.

Our Environment — Caer Beris Manor Hotel

They already have destination chargers there. It is going to be a lovely location when completed. Nice food too.
Brilliant detective work! I had noticed the relocation of the Mid Wales "coming soon" pin but didn't get past a quick Google of hotels in the Builth area so it's interesting to hear the reason behind it. Hopefully news will filter out and the hotel will get a bigger profile among the Tesla community even before the Superchargers go in.
I notice Caer Beris is Grade 2 listed so I hope Tesla have learnt their lesson from Leavesden: at that site a retrospective planning application was refused and the visual impact on the main hotel building was one factor (I believe it's now under appeal).

Reactions: WannabeOwner
My satnav was taking me to the next junction and back!

I just made a leap of faith! Weather was atrocious!
The day nav will as it it’s a valid road for sat nav but the pin text definitely tells you to do it.

it’s worth checking the text on every one that only has chargers on one side as a lot have access routes (tebay for example) and others even state pin codes for gates etc.

Charged my new SR+ at Woodall on Wednesday after collecting at Birmingham (yeah i had to double back from North to South) and was getting 60kw, battery was warm and i only had 90 mile range left so i was expecting it to be quicker. Then yesterday i charged at the Camponile in Washington, wasn't on a pair with anyone else, had 100 mile range left at was getting 30kw.
Slightly underwhelmed by the supercharging rates at the minute.

battery was warm and i only had 90 mile range left so i was expecting it to be quicker.

Had you specifically set navigate to the Supercharger? The warmth from normal usage is not "warm" in terms of optimum charging. It's interesting to see these different charge rates. The SR+ is supposed to be going up to a maximum charge rate of 170kW in a future software update but in practise we want to see good rates across the board. The present headline rate for SR+ of 100kW is already speedy ... but only if you routinely get that in real life charging! The reality of course is that no EVs charge at their headline rate all the way to 90 or 100% but the nearer we get to that the better.

Charged my new SR+ at Woodall on Wednesday after collecting at Birmingham (yeah i had to double back from North to South) and was getting 60kw, battery was warm and i only had 90 mile range left so i was expecting it to be quicker. Then yesterday i charged at the Camponile in Washington, wasn't on a pair with anyone else, had 100 mile range left at was getting 30kw.
Slightly underwhelmed by the supercharging rates at the minute.
Were you paired at Woodall?

Washington can be a bit odd to be honest, sometimes changing stall can help. Was it cold and had you set sat nav to charger?

Faster when nearer empty.
Slows for the 'top up'.
Make sure you have exclusive use of a pair of chargers or than will slay both parties rate. (Just in case you were not aware of that)

I saw someone pull in to a half empty Kerle on Saturday and park next to a charging vehicle. Others empty. The original Tesla left in a a couple of minutes, fortunately.

Were you paired at Woodall?

Washington can be a bit odd to be honest, sometimes changing stall can help. Was it cold and had you set sat nav to charger?

No I was down the end closest to the main building, there was an X & S sharing a stall nearest to the exit road but i was alone. I hadn't set my sat nav to goto Woodall particularly, it was set to goto the one in Barnsley but the M1 on Wednesday night was a write off so i decided to come off early and goto Woodall - i assume from that the battery should have been conditioned?
Washington i had set the nav to go there, again i wasn't paired with anyone, there was an X on the next stall down, and a couple of S taxis at the other end.