Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any info on the Superchargers that are supposedly coming to Fort William & Inverness, scotland? Planning a road trip in October. Would be ideal if these was open by then fingers crossed
Fort William: site is known, equipment delivered ~end June, no construction activity AFAIK (a photo from 27th July showed no change). A power supply box was put in at the start of the year so an October opening isn’t impossible but there’s some way to go yet.

I’ve seen rumours of a city centre site in Inverness pending a suitable power supply upgrade but there’s nothing in terms of planning requests that I could find, so I wouldn’t bet on it.

50kW charging on the extensive ChargePlace Scotland rapid network works pretty well though, you’ll cover less miles on the windy roads so the charging stops aren’t as frequent and don’t need to be Supercharger speed. The Aviemore Supercharger will get you to Inverness with plenty in the tank (I think it’s open, not sure of the impact of COVID on the hotel).

• Helpful
Reactions: nandol97
Fort William: site is known, equipment delivered ~end June, no construction activity AFAIK (a photo from 27th July showed no change). A power supply box was put in at the start of the year so an October opening isn’t impossible but there’s some way to go yet.

I’ve seen rumours of a city centre site in Inverness pending a suitable power supply upgrade but there’s nothing in terms of planning requests that I could find, so I wouldn’t bet on it.

50kW charging on the extensive ChargePlace Scotland rapid network works pretty well though, you’ll cover less miles on the windy roads so the charging stops aren’t as frequent and don’t need to be Supercharger speed. The Aviemore Supercharger will get you to Inverness with plenty in the tank (I think it’s open, not sure of the impact of COVID on the hotel).
Regarding Aviemore, I was there last week and can confirm hotel has re-opened and Supercharger working normally. I can also confirm 2 good experiences with Charge Place Scotland fast (50kW rated) chargers, which remain free to use for the time being.

• Helpful
Reactions: nandol97 and CMc1
Hi guys new account Aaron21 from before.

Does anyone know if there are now more M3's in the UK than X and S have been noticing a lot on the road but interestingly not many at superchargers?
I would think so yes. I see a lot more. On the road. On average they have longer range than the legacy SX fleet and no free supercharging so that might explain why less are seen at superchargers. They also probably charge a bit faster. Faster rate and smaller battery so don't stay as long. That will also skew it.
The not free also means that even when we do stop we only take the min needed and move on not fill up. I can charge at home for 5p/kwh don't need to fill up at 24p more than the minimum needed to get home.

Last edited:
Reactions: Godsense and ringi
Regarding Aviemore, I was there last week and can confirm hotel has re-opened and Supercharger working normally. I can also confirm 2 good experiences with Charge Place Scotland fast (50kW rated) chargers, which remain free to use for the time being.
Thanks for the info, yes been reading a lot about the charge place Scotland network, although I hear they are not very reliable. I think a chademo adapter will be very useful for my Scotland NC500 trip that I’m planning in October.

Someone has had a successful charge using Leeds whitehouse so these must be online now (source: TezLab app bot -although says V2 confirmed)

upload_2020-8-5_10-33-34.png

Reactions: cezdoc
Following the news at Leeds Service Centre I was reading through some discussion on the FB owner's group and noticed that Superchargers are mentioned in plans for a new Service Centre in Chelmsford. A ground plan shows an indicative area with 4 stalls but number and location TBC.

Simple Search Planning ref. 20/00432/ADV

@MarcoRP @Chuq this is a very similar status to the Cardiff Service Centre (UK Supercharger Site News), i.e. Superchargers are indicative but not part of the formal planning application. Never-the-less signage is being designed with gaps for directions to the charging bays so it looks likely they will be installed somewhere on the site. For info, I reckon the indicative location is at (51.750400, 0.510600) but as with Cardiff it may be a little too soon to put a pin on supercharge.info.

Annotation 2020-08-05 120320.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1 and JupiterMan
The Leeds SC Supercharger is apparently operational, per a post on Twitter

View attachment 572740
Yes definitely live.
Concerningly, it's appearing on my car Nav but I don't have CCS so can't use this Supercharger (unless I get the CCS retrofit). I hope Tesla start to correctly filter what the Nav shows in non CCS cars otherwise it will become a real headache as more V3 only sites get rolled out. It's like the early days for M3 drivers (who couldn't charge with the legacy Type 2 plug) but in reverse.
Annotation 2020-08-05 152534.JPG

Following the news at Leeds Service Centre I was reading through some discussion on the FB owner's group and noticed that Superchargers are mentioned in plans for a new Service Centre in Chelmsford. A ground plan shows an indicative area with 4 stalls but number and location TBC.

Simple Search Planning ref. 20/00432/ADV

@MarcoRP @Chuq this is a very similar status to the Cardiff Service Centre (UK Supercharger Site News), i.e. Superchargers are indicative but not part of the formal planning application. Never-the-less signage is being designed with gaps for directions to the charging bays so it looks likely they will be installed somewhere on the site. For info, I reckon the indicative location is at (51.750400, 0.510600) but as with Cardiff it may be a little too soon to put a pin on supercharge.info.

View attachment 572728
And another one in the same vein - this time 8 Superchargers are shown in plans for the new Glasgow Service Centre.
https://publicaccess.glasgow.gov.uk/online-applications/
Ref: 20/01793/ADV
Display of illuminated and non-illuminated signage. | 20 Kennedy Street Glasgow G4 0EB
On the site plans there are 8 bays at approx. 55.867500, -4.239200.

Also what looks like a bagged up V3 charging cabinet has appeared at Manchester Service Centre, and new earthworks have started. Looks like the existing 4 bays are being expanded.

Keep your eyes peeled for diggers people!

Annotation 2020-08-05 153706.JPG

Does anyone know if there are now more M3's in the UK than X and S have been noticing a lot on the road but interestingly not many at superchargers?

Adding up the figures here (note that the numbers are the total still registered in that year, so you need to add vertically but not horizontally), I get approx totals of:

Model 3: 15868
Model X: 4857
Model S: 9668

So at the end of 2020 Q1, Model 3 had just overtaken S+X together; the difference is probably bigger now.

At a very rough guess, maybe half of those S/X have free supercharging.

Last edited:
Reactions: ringi
Adding up the figures here (note that the numbers are the total still registered in that year, so you need to add vertically but not horizontally), I get approx totals of:

Model 3: 15868
Model X: 4857
Model S: 9668

So at the end of 2020 Q1, Model 3 had just overtaken S+X together; the difference is probably bigger now.

At a very rough guess, maybe half of those S/X have free supercharging.
I see many many more M3s than S + X here in the midlands but I am guessing a lot of those S+X are clustered in the South East where the earliest congestion charges were ( and where most of the money is! ). The locations of early delivery centres/service centres/superchargers would also tend to support this. The M3s are probably much more evenly distributed.

And another one in the same vein - this time 8 Superchargers are shown in plans for the new Glasgow Service Centre.
https://publicaccess.glasgow.gov.uk/online-applications/
Ref: 20/01793/ADV
Display of illuminated and non-illuminated signage. | 20 Kennedy Street Glasgow G4 0EB
On the site plans there are 8 bays at approx. 55.867500, -4.239200.

Also what looks like a bagged up V3 charging cabinet has appeared at Manchester Service Centre, and new earthworks have started. Looks like the existing 4 bays are being expanded.

Keep your eyes peeled for diggers people!

View attachment 572756

I’m due at the Stockport (Manchester) SC on Saturday morning for a test drive so I’ll take a quick look If my confirmation for the test drive comes through.

• Helpful
Reactions: cezdoc and CMc1
Hi guys new account Aaron21 from before.

The fact you are seeing fewer at superchargers is probably a use case thing. The s and x with their size, and air ride and comfort, are big mile cruisers, the type of trips they take are wins that would need a splash and dash at a supercharger. The 3 is smaller and could be used as a city car (OK, it's not exactly Zoe small) but will probably be used for shorter journeys and therefore just charged at home of a night.