TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

UK Supercharger Site News

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by WannabeOwner, May 22, 2017.

1. Jeeves

Jeeves Member

I’d never heard of GridServe before reading this. If they live up to the promise on their website, then it looks like a great proposition. Will be very interesting to learn what their charges will be.

2. JupiterMan

JupiterMan Member

to share the costs?

ecotricity and Tesla seem to have a similar arrangement

3. Joelly

Joelly Member

I believe gridserve have one up and running (no solar farm though) up near Chelmsford way? Not sure if there is any information on price from that? I did mention it in the consultation stage about getting tesla involved without restricting current plans as there could be cost sharing and it would increase footfall to the site significantly. It looks like a state of the art site and I’m excited, but it does look like there is some pushback from the local community about it so it’s by no means clear to go ahead. I will try and rally some fellow ev owners locally and make sure they get heard.

• Like x 1
  4. cezdoc

cezdoc Member

Some details about their Chelmsford/Braintree site here:
    Simple Search 20/00155/VAR
    UK’s first Electric Forecourt® is under construction, opening Summer 2020 | Braintree District Council
    It had the go-ahead in May, presumably the coronavirus pandemic has caused some delays - I'm sure Gridserve will want to publicise it as soon as it's open.
    This one has 6 "spaces for future charging" in the equivalent "branded chargers" area. Maybe they are speculative and they haven't got a tenant yet, Porsche might be another possible user for example. I presume the HGV chargers areas are also designed in the hope they can accommodate the technology when it arrives - do we have electric HGVs in the UK yet?

• Like x 1
  5. Joelly

Joelly Member

Good point. Maybe I assumed it was up and running. I know there is a tesla supercharger near you that site anyway so may be why tesla is not there.
    Good point on hgv side of things, let’s hope ay. I will keep an ear out in the community to see what’s happening and whether it’s likely to go ahead.

6. ringi

ringi Member

Their video https://www.gridserve.com/electric-vehicle-charging shows what looks like Tesla chargers hidden at the back without any rain protection with their own chargers getting the prime location with rain production and a nice cover path to coffee/wc. They also talk about being the lowest cost rapid charging.

7. NorfolkMustard

NorfolkMustard Active Member

#1667 NorfolkMustard, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    I visited the Braintree site a couple of weeks ago - building underway / ground cleared and it looked like from the road that the base/footings were in

[​IMG]

• Informative x 3
  8. Alexa

Alexa Member

The 6 spaces that look like areal are for “Future Charging” according to the planning documents.

Attached Files:

9. Adopado

Adopado Active Member

I know it's just an illustration but if you were to park at the chargers with the front or rear towards the charger the car would stick out into the one-way route. Alternatively going side on would require people to squeeze in between other charging cars by reverse parking.

10. Mr H

Mr H Local Vendor - The UK & Ireland

The MAN eTGM | MAN Trucks United Kingdom

11. Stuart1714

Stuart1714 Member

#1671 Stuart1714, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    I went for a spin in a M3P at the Stockport/Manchester SC and can confirm the reports about more Superchargers being installed. There are 4 new Superchargers being fitted according to one of the staff and the space where the work is going on looks like it can old hold 4 and it’s outside the secure gate. The box in the pictures with the wires hanging out was unwrapped whilst I was out for a test drive and something else arrived on a pallet as I was going out in the M3P, but I didn’t see it.

Attached Files:

• Helpful x 1
  12. dcdaniel

dcdaniel New Member

Hi Guys - thought you all may be interested, the Glyn Hopkin Honda showroom in Chelmsford closed down a couple of months ago and a major refit has been going on - Tesla signage went up this week - had a nose around this morning, full on showroom opening soon, desks, wifi hubs, offices, customer seating and signage installed already - great location close to the A12 Boreham interchange and next to Mercedes and opposite BMW showrooms.

On another note the Gridserve charging station is almost complete in Braintree, 8 miles up the road from Chelmsford.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
  13. ringi

ringi Member

Not if the length of the spaces in front of each charger are long enough.

14. MarcoRP

MarcoRP @MontrealTesla

Finally, we have photos of the Fort William Supercharger. Equipment is on site, but no digging has occurred yet. At this point though, I think it is safe to say this location is under construction. V3

Twitter

03E6E589-AD60-41EC-AFF5-7D78A89C33C4.jpeg

E6EAE7A6-6CBD-481D-B22E-488808C339E1.jpeg

• Informative x 2
    • Love x 1
  15. CMc1

CMc1 Supporting Member

Where these from?
    Can anyone confirm kW with cabling?

16. MarcoRP

MarcoRP @MontrealTesla

Updated post

• Like x 1
  17. NewbieT

NewbieT Member

The smaller reel on top 18AWG is probably control wiring or for the tombstone sign lamps. So doesn’t really help.

• Like x 1
  18. cezdoc

cezdoc Member

@MarcoRP @CMc1 I'm assuming the metal stand with the "FRONT" label is for a charger cabinet, it looks like there are two more stacked behind so three in total. Comparing these with the V3 charger cabinet bases pictured at Heathrow Hilton T5 (UK Supercharger Site News) I think they are smaller and don't have as many holes/have a different hole pattern for the cable conduits. I'm therefore guessing these are V2 cabinet bases which would imply they could supply 6 V2 stalls. That would also tie in with a previous report from a (knowledgeable) owner who'd been to the site (but didn't post any pictures).

• Informative x 1
  19. NewbieT

NewbieT Member

20. MarcoRP

MarcoRP @MontrealTesla