Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fact you are seeing fewer at superchargers is probably a use case thing. The s and x with their size, and air ride and comfort, are big mile cruisers, the type of trips they take are wins that would need a splash and dash at a supercharger. The 3 is smaller and could be used as a city car (OK, it's not exactly Zoe small) but will probably be used for shorter journeys and therefore just charged at home of a night.
I don't get this at all.The model 3 is probably at least as well suited to long journeys as the S and X. It's more efficient than the S and X so will go further on a given state of charge and charges faster than older S and X models. My 12 months with the SR+ tells me it is not a city car (quite inefficient on short journeys especially in winter) and is at its happiest on the open road.

Reactions: NewbieT and MacPaul
Yes definitely live.
Concerningly, it's appearing on my car Nav but I don't have CCS so can't use this Supercharger (unless I get the CCS retrofit). I hope Tesla start to correctly filter what the Nav shows in non CCS cars otherwise it will become a real headache as more V3 only sites get rolled out. It's like the early days for M3 drivers (who couldn't charge with the legacy Type 2 plug) but in reverse.
View attachment 572754
Surely if they have 6 chargers and V3 are always in banks of 4 it must be 4 V3&2 V2 Superchargers?

I don't get this at all.The model 3 is probably at least as well suited to long journeys as the S and X. It's more efficient than the S and X so will go further on a given state of charge and charges faster than older S and X models. My 12 months with the SR+ tells me it is not a city car (quite inefficient on short journeys especially in winter) and is at its happiest on the open road.
It’s not a city car, no. But it is small for a big mile muncher. And much less comfortable. Air suspension is just the king of the long journey. If I only did big miles I’d favour the s over the 3. With the x being better than both but it’s also an suv

Can anyone do their worst? I’m not quite sure what I’m looking at but... 8 branded chargers. Could they be?
82581727-F08A-4B52-A41C-E04E61E051CD.jpeg
Link to planning docs - Disclaimer

Reactions: cezdoc
I fail to see way GirdServe would need Tesla chargers as well as their own high power rapid chargers unless Tesla drivers are totally unable to mentally cope with the concept of using a charger that is not on the in car display.

Their business model depends on getting many EV drivers to use them as the default option, hence I am expecting their pricing to be lower then many of the other networks.

View attachment 573332
This is zoomed in on what I can find. Units don’t look like a representation, but the markers in the bay are similar to tesla. Am I reading into it too much?
Here's the same area in the Illustrations document. For the drawings, it looks like the branded chargers use the same 3D template as the smaller ones under the canopies. They are laid out just like a Supercharger would be, including an fenced enclosure next to the stalls where Tesla would put the charger cabinets. Would you go to the trouble of making a plan using Tesla and ?Fastned layouts if you weren't in discussion with them?

Annotation 2020-08-07 094207.JPG

In any case this project looks really impressive and well thought out - if you were going to design a rapid charging hub from scratch I don't think you could do much better (having it next to the the solar PV farm makes for excellent optics, and hopefully there's money to be made from the coffee shop and newsagents while travellers charge up).

I believe gridserve have one up and running (no solar farm though) up near Chelmsford way? Not sure if there is any information on price from that? I did mention it in the consultation stage about getting tesla involved without restricting current plans as there could be cost sharing and it would increase footfall to the site significantly. It looks like a state of the art site and I’m excited, but it does look like there is some pushback from the local community about it so it’s by no means clear to go ahead. I will try and rally some fellow ev owners locally and make sure they get heard.

Reactions: ringi
I believe gridserve have one up and running (no solar farm though) up near Chelmsford way? Not sure if there is any information on price from that? I did mention it in the consultation stage about getting tesla involved without restricting current plans as there could be cost sharing and it would increase footfall to the site significantly. It looks like a state of the art site and I’m excited, but it does look like there is some pushback from the local community about it so it’s by no means clear to go ahead. I will try and rally some fellow ev owners locally and make sure they get heard.
Some details about their Chelmsford/Braintree site here:
Simple Search 20/00155/VAR
UK’s first Electric Forecourt® is under construction, opening Summer 2020 | Braintree District Council
It had the go-ahead in May, presumably the coronavirus pandemic has caused some delays - I'm sure Gridserve will want to publicise it as soon as it's open.
This one has 6 "spaces for future charging" in the equivalent "branded chargers" area. Maybe they are speculative and they haven't got a tenant yet, Porsche might be another possible user for example. I presume the HGV chargers areas are also designed in the hope they can accommodate the technology when it arrives - do we have electric HGVs in the UK yet?

Reactions: ringi
Some details about their Chelmsford/Braintree site here:
Simple Search 20/00155/VAR
UK’s first Electric Forecourt® is under construction, opening Summer 2020 | Braintree District Council
It had the go-ahead in May, presumably the coronavirus pandemic has caused some delays - I'm sure Gridserve will want to publicise it as soon as it's open.
This one has 6 "spaces for future charging" in the equivalent "branded chargers" area. Maybe they are speculative and they haven't got a tenant yet, Porsche might be another possible user for example. I presume the HGV chargers areas are also designed in the hope they can accommodate the technology when it arrives - do we have electric HGVs in the UK yet?
Good point. Maybe I assumed it was up and running. I know there is a tesla supercharger near you that site anyway so may be why tesla is not there.
Good point on hgv side of things, let’s hope ay. I will keep an ear out in the community to see what’s happening and whether it’s likely to go ahead.

Their video https://www.gridserve.com/electric-vehicle-charging shows what looks like Tesla chargers hidden at the back without any rain protection with their own chargers getting the prime location with rain production and a nice cover path to coffee/wc. They also talk about being the lowest cost rapid charging.

The 6 spaces that look like areal are for “Future Charging” according to the planning documents.

Attachments

• 29E67523-01C7-4DF8-B2AB-770AC27A4CAC.png
    29E67523-01C7-4DF8-B2AB-770AC27A4CAC.png
    725.1 KB · Views: 98
View attachment 573338

In any case this project looks really impressive and well thought out - if you were going to design a rapid charging hub from scratch I don't think you could do much better (having it next to the the solar PV farm makes for excellent optics, and hopefully there's money to be made from the coffee shop and newsagents while travellers charge up).

I know it's just an illustration but if you were to park at the chargers with the front or rear towards the charger the car would stick out into the one-way route. Alternatively going side on would require people to squeeze in between other charging cars by reverse parking.