Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think they’re cabinets. They’re just shipping crates of stuff.

I disagree, clearly equipment bases, question is exactly what.

V2 supercharger cabinets are almost square (760x743mm); V3 are rectangular and much bigger, though I don't have data.

The base in the foreground of the Fort William picture (with the word "FRONT" clearly visible) looks rectangular but doesn't look very big. Could possibly be a base for the AC switchgear cabinet if it's not a V3. Further back in the photo are two more nested together; they look squarer, but maybe that's just the photo perspective.

The drum of signal cable doesn't help - it's 7-core, and V2 superchargers used 7-core (6-core + earth), I don't have any info whether V3 are the same or different.

Next person to visit Fort William please take a tapemeasure!

Probably only of historic interest now, but when V2 charger stalls were being installed those metal boxes weren't used

The construction techniques have gone through quite a number of revisions separate from the V1/V2/V3 progression of the equipment itself. Originally the ducting and foundations was all poured concrete with jigging/formwork assembled on-site to get the positions correct before the equipment was installed later; then there were the steel 'goalposts' for the stalls which were set into the concrete and had brackets to hold the duct in the correct relative position without jigging, then came the pre-cast bases for the stalls, and later still cabinet bases. There were probably other tweaks along the way that I've missed.

Amesbury, Wiltshire

Just walked past a constructions site just starting on the right hand side entrance as you head to McDonalds just off A303. Builders confirmed Tesla Charging Station being built ready for 18th. I think they said 6 stalls but I could be wrong.

Annotation 2020-08-10 163701.png

Just my two cents having had a little experience of getting some large scale electrical works done (bigger than a bank of superchargers, but still)

Planning approval is one thing, but DNO works and particularly wayleaves are another. You can have permission to build something, but the civils can be complex especially if landowners (who then know they have some power) want to make life difficult. Adopted streets may be OK because they are under the PUSWA (think that may now have been superseded), but there are sharks out there with their hands (fins?) out who can block infrastructure works and can hold the developers to ransom. If you need to drive a big truck past a field and that requires taking the fence down for an hour and rebuilding it, the fence owner can hold out for a fortune to give permission to do it. And tell their neighbour fence owners that they can also shake the money tree. So something seemingly simple can get complex and viciously expensive (way more than the engineering cost) very quickly, particularly in rural areas where a lot of the land is not owned by the local authority, and even more so if the landowners think there is a money pot they can milk (like a company owned by a prominent billionaire for example)...

Reactions: ringi
Just my two cents having had a little experience of getting some large scale electrical works done (bigger than a bank of superchargers, but still)

Planning approval is one thing, but DNO works and particularly wayleaves are another. You can have permission to build something, but the civils can be complex especially if landowners (who then know they have some power) want to make life difficult. Adopted streets may be OK because they are under the PUSWA (think that may now have been superseded), but there are sharks out there with their hands (fins?) out who can block infrastructure works and can hold the developers to ransom. If you need to drive a big truck past a field and that requires taking the fence down for an hour and rebuilding it, the fence owner can hold out for a fortune to give permission to do it. And tell their neighbour fence owners that they can also shake the money tree. So something seemingly simple can get complex and viciously expensive (way more than the engineering cost) very quickly, particularly in rural areas where a lot of the land is not owned by the local authority, and even more so if the landowners think there is a money pot they can milk (like a company owned by a prominent billionaire for example)...
Before I owned a Tesla and had an interest in the Supercharger network I had very little awareness of these sorts of issues other than the occasional news story about ransom strips affecting homeowners. Tesla have clearly made mistakes in the past in terms of starting construction before all the power supply requirements, permissions and access rights were sorted. I certainly don't have your insight into the process but have seen the impact it's had on some UK locations, arguably the most frustrating example being the 2 x 8 Brighouse W & E Superchargers which were built in March 2017 but remain lifeless, apparently due to a wayleave issue for getting power to them. Another sad example, where cables have been put in (although the actual charger stalls weren't added), is Leavesden but that was a more straightforward retrospective planning refusal due to proximity to a listed building. The recent planning applications for Moto sites are encouraging though as it would appear that one big blocker, Ecotricity, have done a deal with Tesla to share charging locations.

Hopefully these days the Supercharger team have the requisite amount of experience for dealing with all the planning & logistics required in the UK. I would be surprised if _all_ the Supercharger plans mentioned on Moto planning applications end up getting built, even more so for the Service Centres where Supercharger bays are just indicative, but these days I don't think any groundworks will start unless and until all the planning, access and power supply ducks are in a row.

Amesbury, Wiltshire

Just walked past a constructions site just starting on the right hand side entrance as you head to McDonalds just off A303. Builders confirmed Tesla Charging Station being built ready for 18th. I think they said 6 stalls but I could be wrong.

View attachment 574529

I can't find any planning approval or applications for this site.

Wasn’t LFE a power issue prior to the contractor going bust?

Not so far as I am aware. LFE was planned to have battery storage already. HV supply (bidirectional given the storage) was to be taken from a nearby housing estate on one side of the motorway, with storage and one set of superchargers on that (southbound) side, then HV cables across the footbridge to feed superchargers on the other (northbound) side. There was a rumour that the work to fit cables across the roof of the footbridge required the M1 to be closed, and that they had missed an opportunity to do that when the motorway was being closed for other work. I have not heard anyone mention the wayleave needed to bring the feed in to the site, though it's only a short distance and looks like local authority land.

There was also the prospect of the whole service area getting moved, though I haven't heard any more about that recently.

Last edited:
Reactions: CMc1
I can't find any planning approval or applications for this site.
Having just tried to find planning apps for a couple other older sites (Bristol Lysander) I wasn't able to. Taking a look at the planning regs, I think they may be able to get away with installing the chargers without planning, if it is already a car park that is. The other kit may need planning though.

Very keen to find out on this one as I would use it a lot!

Reactions: ringi
There are 2 instavolts in Wimborne and another 2 in Bournemouth
I had the misfortune to attempt using Chargemaster/CYC network (Siemens QC45 units) last weekend...none at all working on Chad/CCS only AC in the BCP area - I did find one that did work on Christchurch Rd - but I managed to brick it halfway through a charge...it completely died. I think its nuked my Chad adapter too ;-(