Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, of course that makes sense. Normally I will charge at home but since we are now a 2 electric car family (Hyundai Kona - very nice considering price) it may come in handy once in a while. And good to see the system expanding. I assume it will be a V3?
Supercharger locations in europe are likely to be, at best, 50/50 V3 and V2 stalls at each location since most of the Model S/X fleet can't use V3 which only have CCS2 cables.

Supercharger locations in europe are likely to be, at best, 50/50 V3 and V2 stalls at each location since most of the Model S/X fleet can't use V3 which only have CCS2 cables.

I am planning on getting a new MX in spring...is it possible that this may get a software update to allow it to use v3 in the future or will MX never use v3 unless they bring out an all new MX or the new plaid?
Thanks

Kind off. Yeah. The Model S/X in Europe still have a Type 2 socket only, but it has internal gubbins which work with CCS when you use the free/included CCS adapter that your car will come with. You have the best options because you can then use any cable on any supercharger, including V3, and you can use any Type2 AC or non-tesla CCS charger too.

Kind off. Yeah. The Model S/X in Europe still have a Type 2 socket only, but it has internal gubbins which work with CCS when you use the free/included CCS adapter that your car will come with. You have the best options because you can then use any cable on any supercharger, including V3, and you can use any Type2 AC or non-tesla CCS charger too.

That’s great thanks
So if I used a supercharger that WAS V3 using the supplied ccs adaptor, it would still charge faster than a v2?

apologies for the slow pick up

mans if I use the

Don't assume it is not possible to put the old type cables on a V3 supercharger, it is just pointless if there is a v2 charger cluster at the same site.

I think this means they’re going to be CCS only

“V3 Superchargers in Europe will natively support CCS connectors, but will be accessible to all Tesla owners. Model S and Model X owners using a CCS adapter will benefit from V3’s lack of power sharing at about the same peak rates as on V2 Superchargers”

500th Supercharger station in Europe: a milestone in more ways than one

Last edited:
Colchester supercharger at marks tey best western hotel in progress!!!

Witnessed first hand today

with pictures...
13488B3B-6A14-4864-B238-9D1C4443D94E.png

...I assume it will be a V3?
with pictures...
Colchester will be all V2 based on the charger cabinets visible in the pictures posted on SpeakEV / @CMc1 's post.
The V3 cabinets at London Park Royal are bigger with grilles at the top (see the Fully Charger Christmas episode for a close look at them). Also one V3 cabinet serves 4 Supercharger stalls (one V2 cabinet serves 2 stalls).

• Informative
Reactions: tj333 and CMc1
Colchester will be all V2 based on the charger cabinets visible in the pictures posted on SpeakEV / @CMc1 's post.
The V3 cabinets at London Park Royal are bigger with grilles at the top (see the Fully Charger Christmas episode for a close look at them). Also one V3 cabinet serves 4 Supercharger stalls (one V2 cabinet serves 2 stalls).

based on Park Royal using power from the London Underground I think the growth of V3 will be slow.

I charged my SR+ at the V3 Park Royal supercharger on Boxing Day.

I know the SR+ is limited to maximum 170 kW charging rate, but I only managed 95 kW.

FYI, the car was being preconditioned for about 45 mins before I arrived with 25% SoC and there were no other cars charging at any of the V2 and V3 superchargers while I was there.

So I don’t know whether the up-to 250 kW V3 superchargers are fully enabled or if it was the state of my car that limited my charging rate.

based on Park Royal using power from the London Underground I think the growth of V3 will be slow.

What does that have to do with anything? It just means that for this specific site, the nearest HV connection was one that also fed the Underground. Not sure why it implies that HV connections are hard to come by in the rest of the country?

V3 Superchargers don't take that much more AC power from the grid on a per-stall basis than V2. 350kVA per 4 stalls versus 320kVA for V2. The big difference is that they have a DC bus connecting the cabinets so that if you have fewer cars present, each car can charge faster. The DC bus also provides a more economical way to connect stationary storage batteries. Stationary storage can allow a higher peak site output for a given grid connection or it can minimize utility demand charges.

Long journey home from north to south today.
Keele supercharger first. All occupied. Wait.
Get space (1 of 4), very slow charging. Eventually, partner vehicle leaves and get up to 80. Minute later occupied and charging halves. Over ab hour to get just enough for trio to Nembury M4.

Get there....all bays occupied!!! Fortunately, one vehicle leaves virtually straight away (thanks!).

Nonetheless, is this going to be the same as Keele?

No! 86kw and stayed at 80 for a time. Much swifter than Keele.

Hooray!

Long journey home from north to south today.
Keele supercharger first. All occupied. Wait.
Get space (1 of 4), very slow charging. Eventually, partner vehicle leaves and get up to 80. Minute later occupied and charging halves. Over ab hour to get just enough for trio to Nembury M4.

Get there....all bays occupied!!! Fortunately, one vehicle leaves virtually straight away (thanks!).

Nonetheless, is this going to be the same as Keele?

No! 86kw and stayed at 80 for a time. Much swifter than Keele.

Hooray!
2500 M3 miles so far and zero supercharging so not at all an expert at all but I thought the first person at a pair of superchargers got priority so when the second person arrived in your pair at Keele i thought they should get slow charging but it should not affect you i.e. they get whatever spare capacity exists until you leave then they become the primary. Is that not correct? Have I got it wrong or is there something odd with that site?