Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is awesome news. I hope it comes true, it will be a game changer for my long journeys. Mind you, the new Mansfield site looks like its well placed for a Cardiff/Newcastle run, being almost exactly half way. They kept that quiet - was it even on the 'coming soon' map? Seems to me that Moto, Welcome Break et al. are really shooting themselves in the foot with not allowing Tesla to set up at their services. There will now be 1000s of Tesla drivers diverting to a factory outlet store in Mansfield, and a myriad of hotels etc, and no longer stopping at the traditional services.

On the Tesla map situation - I'd love to speak to the person in charge of the map - it would avoid so much speculation if they'd just put on it what was going on e.g. - planned, awaiting planning, or - infrastructure upgrade underway or something like that. Wouldn't be hard.
Welcome Break have Superchargers at all their sites that HV power allows, and Moto have just started the rollout in their network. Roadchef don’t have any, but Rownhams is the first to have one planned. Extra are committed to Ionity so we may never see Superchargers at their sites.
Tesla wont reveal more info than necessary as it could jeopardise negotiations (they’ve had this happen a couple of times a few years ago where over-zealous owners caused problems and the sites fell through).

Extra are committed to Ionity so we may never see Superchargers at their sites.
True but they also have Ecotricity at all but one of their sites so hopefully they will be able to roll out a extra units at those sites now that they have done the Gridserve deal, at a more reasonable price than Ionity. I don't actually care whether I use a supercharger or another brand so long as its a comparable on price, easy to use, reliable and there is a high number per site to reduce the likely hood of being unable to charge due to demand or breakdowns. Up to now there have been exactly zero other options that meet all of those criteria that I know of except Gridserve's one site. Ecotricity may be about to go from the bottom of the list of alternatives straight to the top! It would be in Extras interest to let them unless they want to become the place you only stop to charge when you have no other option. Ionity must be livid. Monopoly is the only way they can succeed with their sky high price business model and Ecotricity/Gridserve might be about to muscle in on their prime sites.

Sounds like Woodall is back on the cards!! Hearing 66 kV double circuit infrastructure is being put in for support of “massive EV charging spot at the services”, towards the end of the year!

Current planning expires in July 2021 so might be some activity soon to keep it active.
Interesting… do you have any source you can quote? The M1 would be so much better served if this can be solved!
Found this on the DNO’s site (Northern Powergrid) which supports the 66 kV plans, publicly. Woodall Services is between junctions 30 and 31. (Other services are also listed, such as Ferrybridge and Blyth) but haven’t had chance to cross ref)

19A9463E-B7BC-44D1-AEA0-85286C256E1D.jpeg

Northern Powergrid’s 2021 Future investment sites

Also,

Interesting chat with staff whilst at Leeds SC today:
-Wetherby Services Supercharger site in the works
There’s a tenure going out for infrastructure to support “up to” 250 EV chargers at Wetherby Services. Yes 250. Heard it here first. Not sure on timeframes.

If a new connection other then short 11kv is needed, 250 chargers is the right sort of scale to plan for as its beset if grid investments are sized for at least the next 30 years.
A quick search shows a 275 kV supply just north of Wetherby Services

4A2C9AED-FCC8-44D6-B0F6-6CA5DC21FA85.jpeg

Reactions: PB1975
That open infrastructure map is really interesting, just in general never mind for Tesla related stuff. But was interested to see there’s a 132kV line very close to where the pin on the map is for the proposed Ferndown supercharger location if that means anything…

That this sort of location Gridserve may wish to make money at with large grid balancing batteries. May also remove problems from the solar farm on bight days.

That open infrastructure map is really interesting, just in general never mind for Tesla related stuff. But was interested to see there’s a 132kV line very close to where the pin on the map is for the proposed Ferndown supercharger location if that means anything…

View attachment 660149

View attachment 660149
11 and 33kV are the most useful HV power levels for supplying a normal Supercharger site I believe, so if those are accessible that’s really helpful. Any higher and there is expense and complexity with hardware to step down the power.

Reactions: ringi