Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Tesla thinks it's in the Nederlands.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Evening all,
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this behavior. My UK model 3 browser thinks I'm in the Nederlands. I tried to order from papa John's the other day and got their dutch menu. Every site I access defaults to the .nl version. Including when I use YouTube through the entertainment menu.

Any ideas?

All Europe cars seem to use a Dutch sim, the pro’s are it will freely change between uk networks if needed, the downside is it appears to be in NL and you have to use country specific links (eg Google is google.co.uk?hl=en to both point at uk results and use English. You also get barred from some geo-locked content.

(Really old Teslas on 3G are in Spain I believe)

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
So, infotainment is in the The Nederlands whilst voice commands are in the US.
presumably tyre pressures are in pounds per square Yuan… ;)

Oh, and with voice commands struggling with messaging, “wife” which is heard as “boy”. I changed her to ”boy”. but that’s heard as ”Boyd”
I plan to keep trying until the car and I can agree on something. o_O

So, infotainment is in the The Nederlands whilst voice commands are in the US.
presumably tyre pressures are in pounds per square Yuan… ;)

Oh, and with voice commands struggling with messaging, “wife” which is heard as “boy”. I changed her to ”boy”. but that’s heard as ”Boyd”
I plan to keep trying until the car and I can agree on something. o_O
gerald-cooper-jeremy-clarkson-farm-3102952.png

All Europe cars seem to use a Dutch sim, the pro’s are it will freely change between uk networks if needed, the downside is it appears to be in NL and you have to use country specific links (eg Google is google.co.uk?hl=en to both point at uk results and use English. You also get barred from some geo-locked content.

(Really old Teslas on 3G are in Spain I believe)
well that's a bit rubbish isn't it?

It allows cars in Europe to roam without the need to switch providers. The other alternative would be to loose connection when moving to a different country.
Bare in mind the connectivity is provided free unlike some other manufacturers who charge a fee.
Makes sense I guess, still a tad frustrating when it comes to making life easier.

I think we need an FAQ for new owners.
The FAQ simply needs to say:

"You're not the first person to own a Tesla in the UK and Ireland. It's likely someone has already asked your question. Hop over to the search bar and enter your question there first."

But seriously, I think the strength of this forum is how well curated the content is. (Hats off to the mods, past and present) On other forums you have to wade through dozens of threads to find what you're looking for. Using search before adding another thread helps with this and is IMHO a courtesy.

I'm happy that I added unlimited phone data at £8 rather than Teslas £9.99/month, it's useful both in the car as well as elsewhere.

WiFi tethering gives UK content* & I don't miss the satellite map view or seeing traffic routing especially as the nav uses it just the same.

*Netflix/Youtube etc

Last edited:
Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
I'm happy that I added unlimited phone data at £8 rather than Teslas £9.99/month, it's useful both in the car as well as elsewhere.

WiFi tethering gives UK content* & I don't miss the satellite map view or seeing traffic routing especially as the nav uses it just the same.

*Netflix/Youtube etc
you got me hunting for black Friday unlimited deals now :)