Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies for dirty screen (I'll blame the wife).. very quick and simple test - it seems to work ok in currently good conditions. Not sure why my brick wall is so wiggly...

Definitely says stop about 10 inches early out from front.. which I guess it better than doing it late.

Will be interesting to see how this works in people with different environments and more importantly, what happens when there's crud all over the reversing camera!

Please post your examples

PXL_20230328_110510391.MP.jpg
PXL_20230328_110523862.MP.jpg
PXL_20230328_110544920.MP.jpg
PXL_20230328_110548995.MP.jpg

Apologies for dirty screen (I'll blame the wife).. very quick and simple test - it seems to work ok in currently good conditions. Not sure why my brick wall is so wiggly...

Definitely says stop about 10 inches early out from front.. which I guess it better than doing it late.

Will be interesting to see how this works in people with different environments and more importantly, what happens when there's crud all over the reversing camera!

Please post your examples

View attachment 922121View attachment 922122View attachment 922123View attachment 922124
what would be interesting for anyone else posting these sorts of images is if you could get out and take a photo so we can see how the sensor view from the car compares to the actual position relative to the obsticle

Reactions: H43lio
Just gave mine a trial on a trip out for lunch! There is good and bad:

Good: Detects kerbs REALLY well, much better than the USS used to.
Bad: Really over-cautious on a low stone wall we have in our drive. Seemed to think its way closer than it was.

I can also confirm its active when driving, I see flashes of it now and then, even when zipping along narrow roads. There may be some speed limit where it deactivates, but if so, its pretty high.

Not as good as USS, and not as smooth a UI for sure, but bodes well for a first release of it. Definitely better than nothing. Still ridiculous it wasn't ready from day 1.

Just gave mine a trial on a trip out for lunch! There is good and bad:

Good: Detects kerbs REALLY well, much better than the USS used to.
Bad: Really over-cautious on a low stone wall we have in our drive. Seemed to think its way closer than it was.

I can also confirm its active when driving, I see flashes of it now and then, even when zipping along narrow roads. There may be some speed limit where it deactivates, but if so, its pretty high.

Not as good as USS, and not as smooth a UI for sure, but bodes well for a first release of it. Definitely better than nothing. Still ridiculous it wasn't ready from day 1.
That's my main gripe, as someone who doesn't have any skin in the game. This release should have been available on or very shortly after cars started being delivered without USS, not 6 months later.

The argument that we should look at it like Kickstarter or giving Tesla a whole heap of latitude when they've "only" been building cars for at least 10 years doesn't hold water when you consider customers are paying full price for this stuff.

Still, at least this is something for the USS-less folk.

My totally unsubstantiated theory is that it shares some of the same foundational components with the single stack, so it was blocked on FSD 11 stabilising. The fact that we received it shortly after 11.3 started to go wider doesn't prove this is correct but it does fit.

There may be some good news if that's true, because it might suggest that the intention is to roll out the single-stack TACC/NoA to the fleet in replacement for the legacy stack we currently have, and this in turn might explain why the way that the park assist lines are overlaid on the FSD visualisations currently look quite messy and slapped together - it could be that we're going to get the single stack visualisation updates some time soon and they've not put too much effort in to making it look good.

That's a lot of bits of guesswork stacked on top of each other but I think it makes sense. We know Tesla don't like redundancy and wasted effort and it's obvious that the legacy NoA stack is more or less abandoned these days.

what would be interesting for anyone else posting these sorts of images is if you could get out and take a photo so we can see how the sensor view from the car compares to the actual position relative to the obsticle

The red lines are the bin store behind the car (which is flat) and a very poor representation of the edging down the side of the drive (as can be seen in the RH camera view & the 3rd picture).

STOP appears at the distance I parked the car & that is OK, albeit about a foot away.

As in the third picture, the car is actually about 8" from the edge of the drive so the area where the red appears to touch the car is completely inaccurate (beyond the front of the car the line is visible in white and this should continue parallel all the way down the side)

The feint white line on the other side of the car is picking up my wife's Fiat which is on the charger and far enough away not to be an issue.

IMG_5290.JPG

IMG_5291.JPG

IMG_5293.jpg

In queuing traffic it seems pretty accurate - the curved line behind the car has accurately mapped the bonnet of the following vehicle & although I did not take the pic quickly enough, the car in front is moving away after I stopped as close as I dared behind him, well after STOP had appeared on screen. From experience I would say 5-6" maximum.

The line against the lorry was stable for the duration of the red traffic light.

IMG_5287.JPG

The red lines are the bin store behind the car (which is flat) and a very poor representation of the edging down the side of the drive (as can be seen in the RH camera view & the 3rd picture).

STOP appears at the distance I parked the car & that is OK, albeit about a foot away.

As in the third picture, the car is actually about 8" from the edge of the drive so the area where the red appears to touch the car is completely inaccurate (beyond the front of the car the line is visible in white and this should continue parallel all the way down the side)

The feint white line on the other side of the car is picking up my wife's Fiat which is on the charger and far enough away not to be an issue.

View attachment 922199

View attachment 922200

View attachment 922204
It might be seeing that charge cable, seems to match the nearest section where it's red.

Reactions: Mullermn and H43lio