TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

UK unsubsidised solar pv report

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Brunel, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Brunel

Brunel Member

I posted this in the general forum, but worth adding to the UK forum:

I was just reading this report on when the UK (yes, cloudy, wet and cold UK) could move to unsubsidised solar. Some valid points and a mention of Tesla getting battery storage costs down. Utility behaviour may also drive people to offgrid solutions (bumping up grid connection fees before any usage).

I think they miss discussing the growing use of EVs and people with Solar PV charging during the day and ideas like Leaf to Home taking off, in relation to increasing utilisation of generation rather than returning to the grid.

http://www.thema1.de/wp-content/uplo...d_UK_Solar.pdf

I only have a small 3.5kW solar install, but looking at doubling that now that I will have 2 EVs in the household.

2. aarontayto

aarontayto Member

Does solar still take 20+ years to pay for itself?

3. hileyms

hileyms Member

I have 3.8kw solar near Swansea which I installed in 2010. It looks as though payback will be in about 9.5 years just taking the subsidy into account. It is about 8.5 years if I include the saving on imported electricity.
    I recently bought a Leaf (to long to wait for Model 3) to use some of the spare solar electric I have. I am also waiting for cheaper battery storage before doubling my solar production.

4. zag2me

zag2me Member

Due to lowering costs, its less than 10 years now I believe.

5. hileyms

hileyms Member

The figures I quoted were when prices were high and subsidy was high. As far as I am aware the payback time is about the same for the high price/subsidy model and the low price/subsidy model. The difference is that the higher model lasts for 25 years and the lower model is over 20 years.

6. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

It never took 20 years. We installed at the height of the panic in 2011 and we were always on track to break even in 8.

7. aarontayto

aarontayto Member

I remember lots of people being annoyed as they didn't get the amount of £/energy produced that they thought and when they done the maths it worked out at 20+ years... Maybe they got mis sold/ripped off.