Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki [UK] V11 UI Changes and Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Totally disagree, most I think, like me, are not phased by change, even if it's lots of changes, change is part of my working life, it really doesn't phase me at all.

Common functions being removed from the top and bottom bars, and hidden behind menus is dangerous, when you have a UI based 100% on a screen, this is important!

A disruptive business model and a UI that a lot think has regressed and arguably is more dangerous are not related.

I also don't think many on here have jumped to their keyboards to moan, most on here love their cars, and therefore Tesla. I myself have driven 70+ miles and spent 2-3 hours driving with the new UI.

Feel free to disagree.
I disagree. No one is questioning yours or other forum users love for cars or Tesla. But Elon’s business will get crushed by the Germans if he sticks to the same UI for another year. Not sure whether you are watching what the German manufacturers are doing. They crushed the British car industry not just by manufacturing reliable cars but by flooding the market with the same cars with different configurations both Beemer and Audi are the best example. You can see now they have started the same with electric cars - there is a Q4 and this has two versions both rear and all wheel drive, will be followed by Q3 and they already have a Q7 normal and Q8 coupe is on production. All of them electric with all comes with 2 configuration with four models.

I don’t think Elon wants that approach. He wants to change this whole game. Software is one of Teslas strength other than batteries and single casting machine and giga factories. So he is going to fight using only his strengths which I think British car industry did not do when the Germans were decimating auto industry in Britain.

I am not very happy with the UI but I did 150 miles today in a really bad weather with AP engaged. I can tell you you get lots of time when you engage AP and drive to use the lights, heaters, audio etc and it wasn’t anyway harder than how it used to be. In fact there was an accident just few cars infront of me, the AP worked as it should do and I had so much of reaction time to engage all the controls and come to a stop without getting hit.

So in a futuristic self driving cars it doesn’t really matter how many touches you take to use heated seats or fog lights. Yes of course it matters now but the UI isn’t that bad as we think it is!

I disagree. No one is questioning yours or other forum users love for cars or Tesla. But Elon’s business will get crushed by the Germans if he sticks to the same UI for another year. Not sure whether you are watching what the German manufacturers are doing. They crushed the British car industry not just by manufacturing reliable cars but by flooding the market with the same cars with different configurations both Beemer and Audi are the best example. You can see now they have started the same with electric cars - there is a Q4 and this has two versions both rear and all wheel drive, will be followed by Q3 and they already have a Q7 normal and Q8 coupe is on production. All of them electric with all comes with 2 configuration with four models.

I don’t think Elon wants that approach. He wants to change this whole game. Software is one of Teslas strength other than batteries and single casting machine and giga factories. So he is going to fight using only his strengths which I think British car industry did not do when the Germans were decimating auto industry in Britain.

I am not very happy with the UI but I did 150 miles today in a really bad weather with AP engaged. I can tell you you get lots of time when you engage AP and drive to use the lights, heaters, audio etc and it wasn’t anyway harder than how it used to be. In fact there was an accident just few cars infront of me, the AP worked as it should do and I had so much of reaction time to engage all the controls and come to a stop without getting hit.

So in a futuristic self driving cars it doesn’t really matter how many touches you take to use heated seats or fog lights. Yes of course it matters now but the UI isn’t that bad as we think it is!
Your points re the motor industry are valid, but not IMO related directly to the UI. Yes the UI plays a part in a car's appeal / usability, but I'm sure you will agree a car's appeal consists of far more. As for whether the Germans will crush Tesla, only time will tell, unless you've time travelled in to the future.

Re your driving experience, fair enough, your opinion is as valid as mine. I'd argue however that the accident is irrelevant, the UI (V11 specifically as per the topic) doesn't stop you braking, or affect AP's ability to spot danger and assist in avoiding an accident.

More taps to do things I'd argue is "harder" than less taps, but each to their own.

@spdpsba If you have to take your eyes off the road to access any driving related setting, that is dangerous. I’m totally against the argument that Autopilot mitigates this. That’s a slippery slope. In this country, you are legally responsible for what the car does, not the Autopilot. Have a crash while fiddling with the screen, and you’ll be the one in the dock, not Tesla.

Your points re the motor industry are valid, but not IMO related directly to the UI. Yes the UI plays a part in a car's appeal / usability, but I'm sure you will agree a car's appeal consists of far more. As for whether the Germans will crush Tesla, only time will tell, unless you've time travelled in to the future.

Re your driving experience, fair enough, your opinion is as valid as mine. I'd argue however that the accident is irrelevant, the UI (V11 specifically as per the topic) doesn't stop you braking, or affect AP's ability to spot danger and assist in avoiding an accident.

More taps to do things I'd argue is "harder" than less taps, but each to their own.
The point I wanted to make was more things to do is less hard in a car that is on FSD/AP (the accident was to highlight a stressful situation) and that is the direction Elon wants to travel. The UI needed to be freshened up and the new update brings the 3 and Y in line with the new S. So all of them will be ready for the FSD.

@spdpsba If you have to take your eyes off the road to access any driving related setting, that is dangerous. I’m totally against the argument that Autopilot mitigates this. That’s a slippery slope. In this country, you are legally responsible for what the car does, not the Autopilot. Have a crash while fiddling with the screen, and you’ll be the one in the dock, not Tesla.
You should watch Elon’s first few minutes interview with Munro. The whole purpose of APFSD is to avoid any accidents so the car should either stop or swerve whether you were fiddling with a button or making a breakfast in your car - as per Elon. I or others may not agree with Elon’s mad view but that is what is driving him and his company. The UI update is one more step towards bringing all the cars under one broad common interface that will make it easy to do the FSD programs

You should watch Elon’s first few minutes interview with Munro. The whole purpose of APFSD is to avoid any accidents so the car should either stop or swerve whether you were fiddling with a button or making a breakfast in your car - as per Elon. I or others may not agree with Elon’s mad view but that is what is driving him and his company.
That aside, I am willing to bet a considerable sum of cash that FSD will not be available in this country within the lifetime of any Tesla currently on the road...

It's all well and good having an interface that's usable in a FSD situation / parked - but until we reach that stage it's pointless if it's not user friendly when your actually driving the car!

You should watch Elon’s first few minutes interview with Munro. The whole purpose of APFSD is to avoid any accidents so the car should either stop or swerve whether you were fiddling with a button or making a breakfast in your car - as per Elon. I or others may not agree with Elon’s mad view but that is what is driving him and his company. The UI update is one more step towards bringing all the cars under one broad common interface that will make it easy to do the FSD programs

Understood.

My advice is “Don’t rely on it”.

That aside, I am willing to bet a considerable sum of cash that FSD will not be available in this country within the lifetime of any Tesla currently on the road...

It's all well and good having an interface that's usable in a FSD situation / parked - but until we reach that stage it's pointless if it's not user friendly when your actually driving the car!
Agreed, get FSD right, then build a UI around it

Just got V11 on my 2020 Raven MS. Unless I'm missing something I cannot now turn on or regulate the seat heaters or demist/rear screen without addtional inputs. Basic functions like that should be one touch. My wife is forever adjusting the heat so I seem to first have to split climate controls otherwise she has to reach across. Not impressed with that at all.

What I learned was Never say never when you are dealing with eccentrics/geniuses like Elon
Personally I prefer to go on the Musk’s track record, and when it comes to FSD his record is dreadful.

Musk in March 2015:
"I don't think we have to worry about autonomous cars because it's a sort of a narrow form of AI. It's not something I think is very difficult. To do autonomous driving that is to a degree much safer than a person, is much easier than people think.... I almost view it like a solved problem."

Musk in February 2019:
“I think we will be feature complete, full self-driving, this year. Meaning the car will be able to find you in a parking lot, pick you up and take you all the way to your destination without an intervention. This year. I would say I am of certain of that, that is not a question mark.”

And where are the mullion robo taxis that were supposed to be on the road 12 months ago? Musk is full of crap, but there is no shortage of people who hang in to his every word.

Until Tesla achieve level 4 autonomy - which won’t be this decade - let’s have a UI that is designed for actually driving the car. There’s no reason we can’t have one tap on the screen for the most essential shortcuts, but many of these have been taken away. I’m not impressed.

Personally I prefer to go on the Musk’s track record, and when it comes to FSD his record is dreadful.

Musk in March 2015:
"I don't think we have to worry about autonomous cars because it's a sort of a narrow form of AI. It's not something I think is very difficult. To do autonomous driving that is to a degree much safer than a person, is much easier than people think.... I almost view it like a solved problem."

Musk in February 2019:
“I think we will be feature complete, full self-driving, this year. Meaning the car will be able to find you in a parking lot, pick you up and take you all the way to your destination without an intervention. This year. I would say I am of certain of that, that is not a question mark.”

And where are the mullion robo taxis that were supposed to be on the road 12 months ago? Musk is full of crap, but there is no shortage of people who hang in to his every word.

Until Tesla achieve level 4 autonomy - which won’t be this decade - let’s have a UI that is designed for actually driving the car. There’s no reason we can’t have one tap on the screen for the most essential shortcuts, but many of these have been taken away.
I understand your disappointments but it is the data that they have matters and their future vision for Tesla. Also it is easy for Tesla when you don’t have a steep automotive history and traditions. Elon can throw the baby and bath water for the next big thing and move on. Not possible for a Land Rover or a Merc. So he is going to do what his vision is and execute it. Not going to be too bothered about what you and I want. But even then the paradox is Tesla is one of the car company that listens to customers and take their feedback and improve.

Musk is full of crap, but there is no shortage of people who hang in to his every word.
Imo Its unfair to say that he is full of crap and us driving his crap does not necessarily give self entitlement to have a dig. If "you" dont like like then move on or at least be constructive with "your" complaints/observations without coming across as cutting your nose to spike your face.

The guy has a vision and we are just riding his wave. Personally, I would like to see Apple come up with something but I think they would be way to conservative for my liking...

For those who can't be bothered making their own light show....

USB flash drive requirements​

• Must contain a base-level folder called "LightShow" (without quotation marks and case sensitive).
  • The LightShow folder must contain 2 files:
    • "lightshow.fseq"
    • "lightshow.mp3" or "lightshow.wav" (wav is recommended)
  • Must be formatted as exFAT, FAT 32 (for Windows), MS-DOS FAT (for Mac), ext3, or ext4. NTFS is currently not supported.
  • Must not contain a base-level TeslaCam folder.
  • Must not contain any map update or firmware update files.

Running the custom light show on a vehicle​

• Insert the flash drive into one of the front USB or USB-C ports, or glovebox USB port, then wait a few seconds.
  • In Toybox, select Light Show and tap Start The Show. If the files on the USB flash drive meet the requirements, then the custom show will be used instead of the built-in show.

Tesla has a blog post on the new update:

And a chart that shows which car gets each feature:

View attachment 747952

As a UK based 2019 MS Raven LR owner, I'm really unsure about this update. Based on the above feature breakdown there is little if any reason for me to install the update.... especially as I have no idea which if any of the couple of potentially useful features might apply to my UK car.

Are there any owners of similar spec cars to mine - in the UK - who have installed the update? (Pre refresh Raven S)

The only reason I can see for installing it is that I'm likely to be forced to install the same features at some point.... but it looks like there is a lot of short term downside risk!

Imo Its unfair to say that he is full of crap and us driving his crap does not necessarily give self entitlement to have a dig. If "you" dont like like then move on or at least be constructive with "your" complaints/observations without coming across as cutting your nose to spike your face.

The guy has a vision and we are just riding his wave. Personally, I would like to see Apple come up with something but I think they would be way to conservative for my liking...
I wasn’t having a dig, and I actually want Tesla to succeed. I was just pointing out how disastrously wrong he’s been in his predictions. If you want me to be constructive then I’d suggest Musk doesn’t make pie in the sky totally unrealistic predictions then we won’t be disappointed. There’s even a chance that Musk has learnt his lesson because, giving credit where it’s due, he doesn’t seem to have produced quite as much crap recently.

I’m not “riding his wave”. Tesla produce a commodity which at the moment I choose to pay to use. If, as is extremely likely, I find something that suits me better I’ll dump Tesla without a second thought. There are, believe it or not, credible alternatives out there, and the EV future is exciting.

Just got V11 on my 2020 Raven MS. Unless I'm missing something I cannot now turn on or regulate the seat heaters or demist/rear screen without addtional inputs. Basic functions like that should be one touch. My wife is forever adjusting the heat so I seem to first have to split climate controls otherwise she has to reach across. Not impressed with that at all.
Being a relatively small subset of UK cars, I'd be interested to hear any other observations relating to the 'update' on your car. I'm assuming it's a pre refresh Raven.

New update apart from the silly stuff, I do like the blind spot camera. But I really would like the window in a different position or have the ability to move it (which I have not tried so forgive if you can). Bottom right is probably for the left hand drive cars rather than UK cars.

I understand your disappointments but it is the data that they have matters and their future vision for Tesla. Also it is easy for Tesla when you don’t have a steep automotive history and traditions. Elon can throw the baby and bath water for the next big thing and move on. Not possible for a Land Rover or a Merc. So he is going to do what his vision is and execute it. Not going to be too bothered about what you and I want. But even then the paradox is Tesla is one of the car company that listens to customers and take their feedback and improve.
It’s actually the other way with regard to self driving. Tesla have about a million cars on the road constrained by the installed sensor suite with very limited redundancy, unable to operate in many light conditions, and the belief that vision is all it takes. They’ve constantly having to resolve issues with the inputs such they’ve dropped radar rather than use a different unit or find a way to calibrate. Tesla now have one arm tied behind their back whereas every other automaker won”t manufacture until they sign off the capability level and all the dependencies.

The UI does show that Tesla don’t understand driving. They know how to make fast in a straight line but not much else, suspension is pretty basic in a M3, seats don’t offer lateral support and any control you might need is not easy to find. Voice control in not the answer for essential controls such as lights, wipers, heating (inc de-misting).