Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki [UK] V11 UI Changes and Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back to the blind spot! For me it is wonderful. 12 days into owning a Tesla I can say i have not as yet found a good seating position and need the camera to help me see. The B pillar is so large and I am thankful for this change. Positionally it is wrong. A few seconds in the top left of the screen would be perfect, and will not make me lose my way if it were on the navigation screen. Someon in the development team must of sat in the car and realized it is in the wrong place, Que pasa
The AI has changed but it was not ingrained, so the change is not a big issue for me.

Back to the blind spot! For me it is wonderful. 12 days into owning a Tesla I can say i have not as yet found a good seating position and need the camera to help me see. The B pillar is so large and I am thankful for this change. Positionally it is wrong. A few seconds in the top left of the screen would be perfect, and will not make me lose my way if it were on the navigation screen. Someon in the development team must of sat in the car and realized it is in the wrong place, Que pasa
The AI has changed but it was not ingrained, so the change is not a big issue for me.
Try suma performance mirrors. Fixed my blind spot.. never regretted it. Easy to fit and a really wide coverage.

This afternoon I spent a few minutes exploring the changes. It didn't really take long to realise that all the functions are where you would expect to find them. The car icon brings up all the main driving controls that you need, whereas before they were scattered over several menu options. I've dragged the energy graph app to the bottom tray for convenience which is also an improvement over before and done the same with the USB icon for quick access. I've tested the blind spot camera and can see it easily. I think the speed readout is cleared too. The only negative is the disappearance of the Wh/mi readout which I liked to monitor out of interest. On the whole I think V11 is an improvement and this is coming from someone who is over 60 and very short sighted!

This afternoon I spent a few minutes exploring the changes. It didn't really take long to realise that all the functions are where you would expect to find them. The car icon brings up all the main driving controls that you need, whereas before they were scattered over several menu options. I've dragged the energy graph app to the bottom tray for convenience which is also an improvement over before and done the same with the USB icon for quick access. I've tested the blind spot camera and can see it easily. I think the speed readout is cleared too. The only negative is the disappearance of the Wh/mi readout which I liked to monitor out of interest. On the whole I think V11 is an improvement and this is coming from someone who is over 60 and very short sighted!
I definitely fit the final demographic! The main loss for me is the easy access to window heaters fore and aft - they are needed every day in winter.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I definitely fit the final demographic! The main loss for me is the easy access to window heaters fore and aft - they are needed every day in winter.
I see a few people mention the window heaters but personally I’ve found them easy to access with the cabin temperature being closer to the driver now - we can press that setting and choose the relevant icon (which are now close to the driver) on the pop-up window.

Where the fog lights may be needed in an emergency, I feel I can be patient and wait for a good time to turn these “switches” on or off. As I don’t live in a cold part of the country I tend to only turn on the window heaters before I depart anyway.

It’s interesting to see the different priorities on here. I wasn’t bothered about having a heated steering wheel when I changed to my MIC car - I will be in future cars but I would also like to choose a heat setting 😂.

Reactions: spdpsba
If it starts raining (esp. at this time of year where sudden heavy showers are not uncommon) the rear window heater is useful to maintain visibility, which quickly goes to crap otherwise (in the absence of an actual rear wiper, which can't be added by a software update..).

So being able to turn it on without taking your eyes off the road is a bonus.

Bringing up the climate window and switching it on not only is an extra operation, it's distracting.

Just to play devils advocate - I’m 7 days into my M3 lease and was just about getting my head around the various menus / where to find stuff in general. Initial impressions, like most, update is a step back and more difficult to find heated seats, demisters and driver profiles. Actually made me quite angry. However after driving the car extensively I can honestly say I’m used to where everything is, the short cuts shared by others I.e push, pull indicator stalk for fog lights, help and I must say voice command is great. Blind spot is great on the motorway even if positioned at the bottom of the screen which I would say is safer than looking over your shoulder quickly to make sure no one is in your blind spot. So all in all, despite my hate for the update I’m used to it and I’m sure we will all do so too. Can’t wait for the next update which I’m sure will remedy a lot of the frustrations. What is annoying me the most is my phone does not always connect unlike apple car play.

Reactions: spdpsba
If it starts raining (esp. at this time of year where sudden heavy showers are not uncommon) the rear window heater is useful to maintain visibility, which quickly goes to crap otherwise (in the absence of an actual rear wiper, which can't be added by a software update..).

So being able to turn it on without taking your eyes off the road is a bonus.

Bringing up the climate window and switching it on not only is an extra operation, it's distracting.
But in vehicles where a physical button operates the heated rear window you still have to the your eyes off the road to find it. In the M3 you could argue the heated rear window is not that useful since the rear facing camera gives a better view for reversing and when driving forwards the M3 accelerates so quickly it doesn't matter what's happening behind :D:D. If you are worried about taking your eyes off the road to access the display flick the right hand stalk to activate TACC/Autopilot first which should stop you running into anything.

• Funny
Reactions: Rustybkts
But in vehicles where a physical button operates the heated rear window you still have to the your eyes off the road to find it.
Thing is, you don't. You just know where it is.
In the M3 you could argue the heated rear window is not that useful since the rear facing camera gives a better view for reversing and when driving forwards the M3 accelerates so quickly it doesn't matter what's happening behind :D:D.
You've never ever come upon something slower than expected on a motorway and wanted to know what was behind before you pull out? For me rear view is always first before side mirror, lifesaver.
Screens just dont work for this. Acceleration isnt an answer to everything, even warp speed.

Thing is, you don't. You just know where it is.
I'd agree that in theory you should get to know where the buttons are.... but on my Kona the only thing I know is that they haven't changed since last time I drove!

And with some buttons being single function while others scroll multi level menus or display sub-parameters on different screens there's not many functions I could engage without looking / thinking for a moment or two.

Attachments

• IMG_20211227_1647365.jpg
    IMG_20211227_1647365.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 63
I'd agree that in theory you should get to know where the buttons are.... but on my Kona the only thing I know is that they haven't changed since last time I drove!

And with some buttons being single function while others scroll multi level menus or display sub-parameters on different screens there's not many functions I could engage without looking / thinking for a moment or two.
I think we agree! @AMP_it_up was suggesting you had to move your eyes for buttons, and I was disagreeing? But I may have wrongly traduced them, I dont know, hope not

Never mind about all that trivial stuff to do with missing icons, views, functions and having to do multiple actions for critical operations - what about the calendar icon showing yesterday’s date until the afternoon! 😉, must be getting the date from the far west 🤔.

• Funny
Reactions: PR-UK
I remember those times when people panned the iPhone and android for putting the torch light as a software switch with two presses when Nokia had a button to press the torch light on! And we had the same people talking about how user unfriendly those new phones were. I am sure now this group will say a phone is different to a car etc.,

If I am so unhappy with the blind spot system I know what I’ll do. More than that If I am so unhappy with the car again I know what I’ll do.

The last year marketing budget for BMW is around 2 billion dollars, Tesla - 0

That itself tells the story. It doesn’t matter whether you had Tesla for 6 years or few months but why you bought a Tesla in the first place?. Just like ICE cars there are cars we buy using our ‘heads’ and cars we buy using our ‘hearts’. No one is forcing others to agree that their views are correct, unfortunately the V11 update debate is becoming something like that in this forum.

Neither Elon nor Tesla is perfect but atleast they hear customer views and incorporate what they could without that affecting their future vision. I don’t think the majority of Tesla customers are feeling the way some of the forum members had described here or in other forums but it is a fair point there are going to be ‘unhappy’ customers with the new update.

It is not a ‘Windows 8 moment’ as someone mentioned, it is more like an ‘iPad moment’ - you remove the keyboard and use software to do some limited actions but then reinvent a key board/pen and provide a different purpose to the whole segment/product. FSD is the new product whether you like it or not. Some things need to change for people to adapt to FSD and that is what you are seeing now.

It may not get the legal approval in many countries but will definitely clear the legal hurdles in California - most states will soon follow and after few years people across the pond will question why Elon isn’t getting it to british shores. This had happened in the past! Sorry folks you guys can decide whether you want to buy the ‘tin pot’ or not but Elon is not going to stop doing what he does. I am not saying he is right or this update is great, I am just saying a disruptive business model has to do this so that they can stay ahead of traditional car manufacturers. And Elon has got a cool 600 billion dollar company to back him up!

>>Some things need to change for people to adapt to FSD and that is what you are seeing now.<<
Please don't tell us that FSD - that is, FSD as we have been lead to believe - is going to be in any car at present delivered?
It's debatable whether "FSD" cars are level 3 or 4 at present, but level 5 just ain't going to happen in most jurisdictions.
"Designing" - and I use the quotes deliberately - the UI to be available and safe when the car is driving itself without supervision is plain stupid.
I've been a great fan of Musk for well over a decade, have his biography and so on, bought a Model S a couple of years ago but I think Tesla would be better off "letting him go" if he continues to steer the company towards being a teenager's wet dream with flashing lights, farts and a UI that is more suited to a playstation.
It's a bloody CAR for Pete's sake - you know, the sort of thing that most people buy to travel from A to B.
Tesla have the best battery management systems and logo but the user experience of owning the most expensive purchase other than a house for most people is anything but the best.

how is the ‘normal’ blind spot warning? I don’t think I’ve ever had it ping me but I normally check my mirrors before indicating. In particular I wonder if it might warn of traffic in my blind spot if I’m passing a truck in lane 1 (you know how it jumps across to the next lane on the screen as you pass?)

I got the v11 update yesterday - and my first drive was to unexpectedly go pick up my daughter which involved a 1.5 hour trek across Norfolk, in the dark, in the rain, in the mist and murk.
I have been a tesla owner for 7 years and for sure have had my frustrations in that time, but jumping in the car and finding everything completely changed was quite an eye opener. More than once I found myself fumbling around the interface (thank god for autopilot to keep the car on the road!) and like most people I find there are positives and negatives. I actualy wasnt expecting the update as I thought is was Model 3/Y/newS - horizontal display, new headlights only so I havn't been following it really. (this post refers to MCU2/vertical screen)

My real point though is that you expect to be able to jump in the car and use it safely - in the way that you always have - in this case I jumped in the car and the interface might as well have been a different car.

My complaint is that this level of interface change should have been notified to users in advance.
Something along the lines of "Software update available - this update inlcudes significant changes to the display functionality and you should take time to familiarise yourself with the new interface prior to using the vehicle link to video/manual etc. prior to downloading"

My initial impressions are that this new UI has joined other Tesla software and should have the moniker "Beta" applied as it is a hot mess.

Several functions are now buried 2 or 3 "taps" deep - the idea of a MRU section of the icon bar at the bottom is dangerous nonsense - the interface MUST be consistent in a vehicle, configurable for sure but not dynamically changing icons, Tesla should urgently at least make this an option in settings. Unlike some posts that I read I prefer the addition of colour to the icons as this helps at a glance use. I have simply no idea was Tesla were thinking with the new hvac control at bottom right of the display with minute text on it - I mean really wtf tesla - the point of autopilot is to improve vehicle safety not mitigate idiotic control layout.

What I would rather Tesla spent time on (okay I know it is diffrent dev teams) is some of the basics and fix
headlight auto-dimming - dangerous
auto wipers - useless
map not displaying traffic incidents (in spite of the now chargeable premium connectivity); the ability to add other layers like road "safety" cameras would be appreciated for when the speed limit database is wrong.

anyways that's my 2p - so love to all for a safe and relaxing festive break - i'm off to figure this all out now.