Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki [UK] V11 UI Changes and Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes sadly this is true - or, worse. actuallly it's now less than half the screen. another stupid regression in useability for no reason

here's a pic of the v11 browser with tape measure for reference. you can see the vertical height of the browser window itself (ignoring the unnecessarily tall header) is only about 6 inches of the total 14 inch vertical screen available. Can't be moved up or expanded any bigger. Much worse than v10 browser which itself was worse than the old v8(?) browser that let you go full screen

Legacy S / X apparently now have restricted screen area useable by browser.

This is not the small thin bar that was shown on the ‘tour’ - similar to the windscreen wiper card after pressing. This is a huge half-screen set of controls that pops up when pressing the temperature. I used to press and slide to adjust temperature as this was safer and didn’t require me to look away from the road so much. I find this method has become clunkier and more severe. I only wanted to reduce it a couple of degrees yesterday and it went all the way down to LO. So then it’s a ballache to rectify as it then turns AC on which I then have to turn off and put my desired temperature back. Voice controls don’t work because if I say turn air conditioning off it turns the whole thing off, including the fans.
Mine usually turns the route off and says "Navigating to XXX Airconditioning" or similar. Fun the first time.....

Reactions: diddy84
It's probably got something to do with the designers all live in an area where they don't have fog lights, the heated seats are not needed very often,. nor is the windscreen demister and when it rains, it rains, and the flacky intermittent mizzle option we struggle with is less of a problem, so to them they're just inconvenient features they have to have an on/off switch somewhere.
...and they probably sit in front of a 32" UHD monitor while writing the code, not on a bumpy road trying to avoid the potholes on a dark afternoon.
Even while parked I find the tiny icons' functions impossible to work out.

Also, looking at the video I see a big difference - that's a model 3. On the model S the same icons are scrunched much closer so hitting the right one is a matter of luck. Bloody dangerous.

Last edited:
Well I drove from Edinburgh to London and back over the last two days. I usually moan about firmware updates. But this time I have to say WELL DONE TESLA!

No. 1 - you fixed the radio which I have been harping on about since I got the car. The data now scrolls. The length of the text is still a bit small but I am happy.

With the exception of the wiper control I am very happy with the new UI. Many things seemed to work better including TACC which only took fright at a truck with an oversize porta-cabin on the back. I generally felt that most things were easier to use. The sound system is improved with the Sub-woofer. My car seemed to run better overall!

I tried out the blind spot camera and was not keen on that. Bringing your eyes back inside the cabin when overtaking is not a good plan so I quickly switched that off again. But it is a new feature, is after all optional, and might improve.

So a little tweek to the Wipers and after two years I might start to love the Model 3.

Well I drove from Edinburgh to London and back over the last two days. I usually moan about firmware updates. But this time I have to say WELL DONE TESLA!

No. 1 - you fixed the radio which I have been harping on about since I got the car. The data now scrolls. The length of the text is still a bit small but I am happy.

With the exception of the wiper control I am very happy with the new UI. Many things seemed to work better including TACC which only took fright at a truck with an oversize porta-cabin on the back. I generally felt that most things were easier to use. The sound system is improved with the Sub-woofer. My car seemed to run better overall!

I tried out the blind spot camera and was not keen on that. Bringing your eyes back inside the cabin when overtaking is not a good plan so I quickly switched that off again. But it is a new feature, is after all optional, and might improve.

So a little tweek to the Wipers and after two years I might start to love the Model 3.
London to Edinburgh and no range anxiety? Whatever next :D

Bit of an odd issue here and could use some help.
Listening to the radio on TuneIn (pre-installed by Tesla) I went into the browser to connect to QoBuz, my preferred music streamer.
No problem connecting, but I received both the Radio on TuneIn and QoBuz sound.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how select music source, or turn off TuneIn?
This doesn't happen on my laptop, or my phone!

Bit of an odd issue here and could use some help.
Listening to the radio on TuneIn (pre-installed by Tesla) I went into the browser to connect to QoBuz, my preferred music streamer.
No problem connecting, but I received both the Radio on TuneIn and QoBuz sound.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how select music source, or turn off TuneIn?
This doesn't happen on my laptop, or my phone!
I don't think the car is expecting to stream any media via the browser - it's pretty rudimentary. In fact I'm impressed you got it to output any audio.

It's just going to channel mix, there's no switching intelligence. My suggestion would be to run the Qobuz app on your phone and play via BlueTooth.

I don't think the car is expecting to stream any media via the browser - it's pretty rudimentary. In fact I'm impressed you got it to output any audio.

It's just going to channel mix, there's no switching intelligence. My suggestion would be to run the Qobuz app on your phone and play via BlueTooth.
switching to a source that doesn't autoplay should work. Spotify or USB seem to be silent until told otherwise.

I have been driving an EV since 2008 - when you have had a G-Wiz and a couple of 24kWh Leafs you know what range anxiety is. I have driven from Edinburgh to Brussels in the 24kWh Leaf! The Tesla.....no worries. However I did come across my first broken Supercharger post at Gretna.
... of all the places to have a broken charger!! Considering the regularly reported queue problems there.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
Legacy S / X apparently now have restricted screen area useable by browser.
Yes, this is definitely a downgrade in v11. Whereas previously my web browser would be approx 70% of the height of the Model S vertical screen; now, I can't seem to increase it more than half the size.

I presume, no other legacy model S / MCU 2 has figured out a solution to the smaller web browser.

On a separate note, can anyone explain why the UK didn't get Tik Tok? I'm far too old to use it but I'm not sure I understand the reason for not giving it to UK users given it's not a hardware, software or even US infrastructure issue (such as road layout).

I was cautious in adopting - waiting and following this thread - which set my expectations low, and gave me a fair few work-arounds for fogs + wipers etc (thanks all!).

Watched two videos: an overly-positive v11 walk through by someone who effectively said you were doing it wrong if you wanted anything different, and a tour of the workarounds - then took the jump today.

I’ll miss the tyre-pressure & trip cards - accessing their data is slightly more convoluted now and annoyingly devours the whole screen - but v11 seems fine and a good basis for the future.

I was expecting far worse from the thread until I looked at videos of it on YouTube. Happy to have taken the jump with the holidays to adapt if necessary - but I think any adaptation has been done with a ten minute play this afternoon (didn’t like the blinds spot thing - turned off after a Sainsbury’s run). Other-half will be fine too.

I can see the non-early-adopters being happy enough with it too. The wiper/lights/aircon context temporary-display-menus seem right to me.

(Also found the Supercharger locations displayed when you tapped on Navigation/selected Charging - if of use to anyone who, like me, misses that map legend option).

The fact that the audio inputs are treated as different apps is infuriating for us. Fairly frequently we’ll have the radio on while browsing for a better song or playlist on Spotify. That doesn’t mean we want the radio to go off until we’ve selected something. Sadly now it goes off as soon as you open Spotify - fundamentally less smart (although I’m sure spdpsba will be along in a minute to tell me why it is a genius change by Tesla.)

Even more completely wasted screen showing a picture of a Tesla and delayed imagery of vehicles around it. The Navigation instructions that used to be clearly visible at the top of the car screen if one of the other menus was on top of the Map, is now thrust to the bottom and made very small. Horrible update. I wish we could modify the layout, and get rid of the pointless Tesla car image. It would be perfect for Apple Car play for example...