Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK VS USA Reservation, bit of joke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ooh I didn’t think of paying the deposit in the showroom was just online I noticed they don’t accept Amex... I’ll ask the showroom thanks, how long ago was that?

Amex, worlds first credit card “I think” but still very useful, depends on your spend/usage as to benefits but it’s mostly the travel benefits, insurance, airport lounge, points etc I use my for everything I can until I’m told “we don’t accept Amex” ;(

Blimey, that's three of you using Amex. Don't think I've seen anyone using one in as many decades as I can count on one hand ...

... so what am i missing not having one?

1.5 Avios for every £1 spent. Spend £10k in a year and get a Companion Voucher, basically companion flies free (except the tax) when lead passenger uses Avios for his/her flight. Both my wife and I have a card so we get a voucher each. Use the card on every opportunity, e.g. use it to pay for our Tesco’s shopping and cobertbthe Tesco points into Avios too.

Refer a friend and I get a loada free Avios and the friend gets stacks of Avios if they spent a certain amount in the first 3 months. Let me know if you want one, I’ve had no joy with the Tesla referral code, maybe I’ll have more joy with this one :D

Amex, worlds first credit card “I think” but still very useful, depends on your spend/usage as to benefits but it’s mostly the travel benefits, insurance, airport lounge, points etc I use my for everything I can until I’m told “we don’t accept Amex” ;(

basically companion flies free

Thanks, interesting.

Used to be in the States every other week or two, and only one of my staff had enough headroom on their personal card to be able to get their own points, so I had the benefit of all their travel on my card too ...

... gave up all that charging around the globe. So little opportunity for the whole Air Miles type thing now ... and I rarely fly anymore ... all the cattle-herding at the airports has become unpleasant, and sadly not able to afford a Gulfstream ... yet ... :)

We moved from Sharkleys to Handelsbanken to get back to a proper, old fashioned, banking service. I only use their cards now. No points, but any hassle is effortlessly taken care of. If my card doesn't work for some reason I can just phone the branch there & then, they work on the basis that the person answering the phone knows all their customers (and when not they open another branch ...) and they sort it out straight away, no call-centre rubbish security questions expecting me to know the balance on my last statement ...

... I know Amex have been around forever, and maybe they are great, but I've got fed up with the amount of my time that rubbish cheapest-first and race-to-bottom service consumes, so I now choose based on best-service first, second and last.

I also don't deal with any company that has been hauled over the coals for misbehaviour either, so Sharkleys, and VW are off my list forever, and if I could have my way we wouldn't trade with anyone that used Sharkleys either. What sort of message does it send if using a bank that has so flaunted the rules, both moral and legal? I'm embarrassed that we still have a VW - but only because of the finance and depreciation penalty if I bail, and VW sees no reason to compensate me, in Europe, for that ... although in USA they would be happy to buy-back the car of course ... sorry, not doing business with anyone who takes that sort of view.

Best not to ask me about something that I DO feel strongly about, eh? :)

I’ve had no joy with the Tesla referral code, maybe I’ll have more joy with this one

Not sure I need one, sorry. Happy to be persuaded though ...

... as you know I've very much in two minds about Tesla referrals. Price inflated by, say, £400 to accommodate a gift-to-referrer. So a complete stranger (or even a Mate) is going to give me £400 ...

... I've done a few referrals, and got one at present for someone who wants the Charger, so that will at least recycle the fee back to the original person.

Sadly I can't rack up referrals-for-chargers for everyone AND get a free Roadster too :)

1.5 Avios for every £1 spent. Spend £10k in a year and get a Companion Voucher, basically companion flies free (except the tax) when lead passenger uses Avios for his/her flight. Both my wife and I have a card so we get a voucher each. Use the card on every opportunity, e.g. use it to pay for our Tesco’s shopping and cobertbthe Tesco points into Avios too.

This ^
We fly business class to Canada twice a year on Avios from BA Amex cards.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
... I know Amex have been around forever, and maybe they are great

Just another credit card to me but with the bonus of being able to fly Club/Businss without shelling out the exorbitant fares - at least not directly, everything has to paid for one way or another. Currently sunning myself in Tenerife courtesy of an Amex/Avios free flght (apart from tax of course).

I’m with you on the Sharkleys to Handelsbanken thing, we did the same when they wanted security for a never used facility we’d had in place for donkey’s years - the old “just in case” scenario. Handelsbanken also helped my daughter get on the property ladder when others were `’computer says no”.

Thanks, I'd better take a closer look :)

From memory there are two cards, one is free and accrues 1 Avios per £1 spend, and needs £20k PA for the companion voucher.

The other, which is the one my wife and I have costs £150 PA but accrues 1.5 Avios per £1 and “only” needs £10k PA for the companion voucher.

If you apply via a friend (this is the referral I was talking about above, not the Tesla one ) and spend £3k on the card in the first 3 months you get a bonus 26k Avios. By via a friend, The friend gives Amex your email address and you apply for the card via a link. The friend gets 9k Avios, assuming the card is approved

Thanks, interesting.

... gave up all that charging around the globe. So little opportunity for the whole Air Miles type thing now ... and I rarely fly anymore ... all the cattle-herding at the airports has become unpleasant, and sadly not able to afford a Gulfstream ... yet ... :)

... I know Amex have been around forever, and maybe they are great, but I've got fed up with the amount of my time that rubbish cheapest-first and race-to-bottom service consumes, so I now choose based on best-service first, second and last.

I also don't deal with any company that has been hauled over the coals for misbehaviour either, so Sharkleys, and VW are off my list forever, and if I could have my way we wouldn't trade with anyone that used Sharkleys either. What sort of message does it send if using a bank that has so flaunted the rules, both moral and legal? I'm embarrassed that we still have a VW - but only because of the finance and depreciation penalty if I bail, and VW sees no reason to compensate me, in Europe, for that ... although in USA they would be happy to buy-back the car of course ... sorry, not doing business with anyone who takes that sort of view.

Best not to ask me about something that I DO feel strongly about, eh?

I think Amex customer service is excellent. I’ve never had a problem. They’ve even approved credit card transactions when I’ve got the pin wrong but they know it’s somewhere I shop all the time.

Check out www.headsforpoints.com for more ideas.

From memory there are two cards, one is free and accrues 1 Avios per £1 spend, and needs £20k PA for the companion voucher.

The other, which is the one my wife and I have costs £150 PA but accrues 1.5 Avios per £1 and “only” needs £10k PA for the companion voucher.

Sounds about right. We have the £150 upgraded cards for maximum effect. We even cancel them after reaching the £10K and start again for another companion voucher. Some shops still won't accept Amex (usually small shops, but some big ones too), so you do need a second VISA/Mastercard for those occasions. You can't rely on Amex as a single card.

I was halfway through buying a BA flight yesterday when the BA/Amex card screen flicked up. The suggestion was to buy the flights with a card I did not yet even have. They said it would take 10 minutes to approve. In the end the extra £195 (I think charge for the card) put me off and I used my Tesco card and got a few Avios that way but maybe I should have taken them up on it.

I was halfway through buying a BA flight yesterday when the BA/Amex card screen flicked up. The suggestion was to buy the flights with a card I did not yet even have. They said it would take 10 minutes to approve. In the end the extra £195 (I think charge for the card) put me off and I used my Tesco card and got a few Avios that way but maybe I should have taken them up on it.

It’s a bit like working out if EV works for your driving pattern, the £195 (which used to be £150) fee only works if you know you’re going to spend the £10k on the card to be able to make use of the voucher.

I used BA Amex for some years for Avios points but found it more and more difficult to get the flights I wanted. Changed to Emirates Amex which has suited us better as no longer need to fly BA through LHR and our local airport has direct flights to Dubai and onwards. Just back from Australia on business class through points.

I used BA Amex for some years for Avios points but found it more and more difficult to get the flights I wanted. Changed to Emirates Amex which has suited us better as no longer need to fly BA through LHR and our local airport has direct flights to Dubai and onwards. Just back from Australia on business class through points.

That’s a good point, you do have to able to plan ahead as the Avios only flights get snapped up very quickly.

I used BA Amex for some years for Avios points but found it more and more difficult to get the flights I wanted.

We've found that too, you have to plan well ahead for sure. We have always managed to get flights to Vancouver or Calgary over the years, so has been well worth the effort for us. I guess it comes down to what airline and specific routes you are looking at. Emirates would be of no use to us, but obviously a better choice for you.