Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Would you buy another tesla

Would you buy another Tesla

• Yes

Votes: 213 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 55 13.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 88 21.9%
  • Absolutely no way due to the way tesla treat their customers

Votes: 21 5.2%
  • Of course, Tesla are the best thing since sliced bread

Votes: 24 6.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After all the things Tesla has been doing lately to self implode, I was wondering if anyone would ever be able to trust them again and spend more of their hard earned on another of their products. This doesn't count for cars already on order but for totally new orders only.

Feel free to vote and expand upon your reasons, remember there are no right or wrong answers, everyone is entitled to their opinion and lets keep it clean please.

I'm on my second M3 LR and I certainly hope it's my last Tesla.

The way they have handled the USS fiasco generally and me personally has been nothing short of abysmal.

Even the Supercharger network is not the trump card it used to be - twice recently at non-peak times I've ended up queuing (despite the car suggesting available charging stalls) at Membury and Gordano.

I can easily see my next car having a petrol engine.

I’ve just ordered a YLR to replace my 3P.

I was all set for a BMW iX1 XDrive m-sport with Tech/pro pack. The Y was around £130 extra/month on top of the iX1 and very similar specs (except range).

For the same price (salary sacrifice) I’m now getting a Y with around 100 extra miles per charge.

I kind of talked myself out of another Tesla. I love my 3, and really wanted what I’d class as a more “well rounded” car in the iX1. When the price dropped, it was a no brainier.

On my 2nd Tesla now, first was a Model 3 in 2019, replaced that with a Model Y in 2022. I have had some recent challenges with queueing for chargers at busy spots such as Tebay and Gretna on trips to Scotland, which I do once or twice a month. However, I love the Y, enjoy the overall driving experience and practicality of it and the vast majority of my charging is done on cheap rate overnight at home.

For now, I will likely just use our ICE vehicle for those longer trips if the charging queues continue to get worse and add too much time to the journey.

So I would buy another Tesla but given the policy above it’s fair to say that if using ICE for longer journeys become the norm, the supercharger network is not necessarily the attraction it once was. Which means I would definitely consider alternative EVs next time, as well as Tesla.

Reactions: CWT3LR
I voted yes as its my default choice. But unlike last time I’ll be paying much more attention to alternatives. I think its no longer the cream of the crop - its a little more efficient than most but thats not a reason to buy, and many others have similar active cruise/lane keeping which is the only bit of AP useful in the UK at the moment.

Its still the superchargers holding me back despite doing 95% of my charging at home. In the UK for the routes I normally do I think in a couple of years third party chargers will be good enough to remove that worry and at that point all bets are off.

I’d like an i4 but they’re overpriced IMO - although that might be hangover from the good old days of my 4 series on 0% finance with healthy dealer contributions..

On my 2nd Tesla now, first was a Model 3 in 2019, replaced that with a Model Y in 2022. I have had some recent challenges with queueing for chargers at busy spots such as Tebay and Gretna on trips to Scotland, which I do once or twice a month. However, I love the Y, enjoy the overall driving experience and practicality of it and the vast majority of my charging is done on cheap rate overnight at home.

For now, I will likely just use our ICE vehicle for those longer trips if the charging queues continue to get worse and add too much time to the journey.

So I would buy another Tesla but given the policy above it’s fair to say that if using ICE for longer journeys become the norm, the supercharger network is not necessarily the attraction it once was. Which means I would definitely consider alternative EVs next time, as well as Tesla.

as frustrating as it must be - I wonder if those locations simply don’t have the power to have more chargers, otherwise surely they‘d have been expanded by now? In that case is it better to have a few chargers than a big hole in provision?

As the network fills out it does look like there are dead spots in the map and hotspots like Banbury where apparantly they have too much electricity so they’re building tons of capacity. hopefully the DNOs will prioritise big gaps in the network?

Personally I hope that the other marques do raise their game and deliver viable alternative options (that you can actually buy, not just watch sales pitches of).

Partly because the objective here is for EVs to ‘win’, not Tesla specifically, partly because actual competition would keep Tesla honest, but mostly because then all the luddites that want their Tesla to be an Audi/BMW/Volvo with a different badge on it can head off and buy one and stop clogging up this forum.

This question is too open ended for me to give definitive answer.....

Would I buy another Tesla now - yes & I did, even knowing USS would be gone (but long after I ordered in Jan 2022)
Would I buy another Tesla sometime in the future - maybe, who knows?

Superchargers are getting over-crowded & opening up the network plus large numbers of additional Teslas each quarter will make that worse. However that situation currently applies to ALL EVs so for now I'd rather have the SuC network plus all others than only the others plus a few SuCs.

My priorities are mostly range, efficiency and charging convenience so for now Tesla satisfies those & I live with or work around the failings without too much effort (use AP sparingly on long journeys, never in queues, switch wipers from auto by voice control when they annoy, take extra care when parking).

(I answered 'unsure')

as frustrating as it must be - I wonder if those locations simply don’t have the power to have more chargers, otherwise surely they‘d have been expanded by now? In that case is it better to have a few chargers than a big hole in provision?

As the network fills out it does look like there are dead spots in the map and hotspots like Banbury where apparantly they have too much electricity so they’re building tons of capacity. hopefully the DNOs will prioritise big gaps in the network?
Any popular SC location with restricted power should have a decently sized battery storage attached to counter peak periods and to allow more Tomb Stoned to be installed. It would work like a power supply multiplier and trickle charge overnight.

Reactions: Mrklaw