Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Would you buy another tesla

Would you buy another Tesla

• Yes

Votes: 213 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 55 13.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 88 21.9%
  • Absolutely no way due to the way tesla treat their customers

Votes: 21 5.2%
  • Of course, Tesla are the best thing since sliced bread

Votes: 24 6.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I voted unsure. I love my M3 had it 12 month and 15K miles but for the money ther are now many other alternatives. Of course the supercharger network is a big plus and this alone would probably sway my decision. However if you dont SC often then there are other good options. My wifes car is a Kia Nero Ev which we have done about 12K miles in and so far never charged it at a commercial station, it's a great car and drives really well. Supprisingly for a car not very streamlined its efficiency is very close to the M3, and the lane keep assist and cruise control work as good as AP, in fact due to not cancelling on lane changes might be considered better.
I dont intend to change the tesla for a long while but as and when I do I would certainly be looking closely at the opposition

Reactions: yessuz
after 1 year ownership - need of SCs is a bit of overstated

Surely that depends entirely on your journey-mix. Never go out of range and have off road parking / charging - then road-trip charging is of course moot.

When I was doing 35K miles a year in a Tesla with only a 240 mile range I used Supercharger at least twice a month and that network was everything - still would be except that I now have 300 mile Tesla and rarely have out-of-range journeys

Yes, that is very correct. But I make 20-25 a year.
But it happens that at the end of my journeys I have non-tesla chargers (7kw) so in whole year I used SC uo to 10 times in total... And all times there was 3rd party rapid/fast chargers close to me sitting empty

Now having in mind that half of Tesla SCs are open to other vehicles, I am sure that by the time I will look to change my tesla into something else, there will be more options to charge as all SCs will be open to all

Any popular SC location with restricted power should have a decently sized battery storage attached to counter peak periods and to allow more Tomb Stoned to be installed. It would work like a power supply multiplier and trickle charge overnight.

I would have no problem with large diesel generators being installed when required to enable well place large clusters of rapid chargers with the generators moved to a new site when the grid connection is sorted out.

• Disagree
Reactions: boombap
there will be more options to charge as all SCs will be open to all
You are the maths man. How does that stack up?....Yes, there might be an even playing field by then and even then, Teslas will have favourable charging rates by default (Ive only used them twice in the past 2.5 years). Be that as it may, I would rather somewhere expensive to charge than nowhere at all. Personally Ive given up on the legacy automakers and it will need more than build quality for them to see me back but then again Im not anyones favourite customer since i pay the price in full but in return I'm in no time constraints to change either.

Tbh Ive had a look at what is coming this year and regardless of where they will be charged there is nothing that stands out as a package to me...Ill wait and see but my best hope at the moment is what is yet to be announced.

Yes.

l have a ‘21 M3 SR+, the Mrs bought a Peugeot e208 (she was rekindling her 80s affair with Peugeot hot hatches) - great car but shite public charging infrastructure meant we chopped it in for a M3 RWD within a month.

Now considering chopping in my M3 for a MY RWD. For: much more room (esp with 2 boys getting eve bigger), great sound system. Against: acceleration not as good as M3 (yes, I’m shallow), I don’t think it looks as good, plus Elon’s finally outed himself as a raving alt-right conspiracy theory twat.

And yes, I’m the poster child for first world problems. But you did ask…

Reactions: boombap
You are the maths man. How does that stack up?....Yes, there might be an even playing field by then and even then, Teslas will have favourable charging rates by default (Ive only used them twice in the past 2.5 years). Be that as it may, I would rather somewhere expensive to charge than nowhere at all. Personally Ive given up on the legacy automakers and it will need more than build quality for them to see me back but then again Im not anyones favourite customer since i pay the price in full but in return I'm in no time constraints to change either.
Strange logic here.
Even SCs will be in favourable pricing for Teslas, gap will not be that big (10 p now?). I mean one SC session difference charging 80 KWh is 8 gbp.however, you as me, charge quite rarely there, so as mentioned - not that important really it's nice to have. But more SCs will be open and you will have charging places like you have in Norway or Netherlands (at least 50 kw in more or less every petrol station, loads of charging hus etc) and I just cannot see an issue with charging infrastructure in next 3 years at all.

However Given Tesla cars are on the more expensive side now with legacy manufacturers catching up every day, I have a suspicion that there's going to be quite different choice options vs 2021 when I was choosing and therefore I will be open to explore. I will have a bit more knowledge what I need to look at when choosing an EV.

What really bothers me is interior quality as my car is plagued with rattles and TBH car costing 50k+ should not be like that.

Tbh Ive had a look at what is coming this year and regardless of where they will be charged there is nothing that stands out as a package to me...Ill wait and see but my best hope at the moment is what is yet to be announced.
I was chosing between polestar, kia ev6, hyundai ioniq 5, mustang mach-e, skoda enyaq... And there is much more choice now in 1 year and I expect even more to come in next 3 years

Reactions: MashinBenzin
10% of votes so far echo your feelings.......Is this vote going as anticipated:)
The results fits the expected profile… small minorities of extreme positive and negative views and a large proportion of satisfied or neutral (who are much less likely to post).

It is good to occasionally have this type of poll to confirm that there has not been any big swing in the quiet majority.

Last edited:
Reactions: ringi and boombap
I really like my M3P, but it's shortcomings (in particular noise levels) are steering me away from a second one. I only so a few raod trips per year so the SC network is not a biggie for me. I'm seriously looking at the BYD Seal AWD version love the look of it and it's getting good reviews. It should be coming to the UK later this year. Yes, I know there are many unanswered questions on the BYD but they are a huge company and are making tens of thousands of Seals so I expect it to be pretty sorted by the time it comes to our shores.
I’m also really interested in BYD. I’ve watched several reviews and all have been extremely positive. Their cars are likely to be very competitively priced when they reach these shores. People will say they are an unknown quantity and the infrastructure isn’t in place, but when Tesla first started selling cars here there was very little infrastructure and the build quality was dire. That didn’t stop people buying them.

Last year BYD increased their BEV sales by 186% compared to Teslas 40%. This is a company that’s going places.

Will the lease company sell you the MSP when you retire?
When I asked a while back it was a definite "No", but that was when 2nd hand process were high, so maybe they thought they could make more? I'll ask again, but not hopeful.

Also, when paying my own way I'd probably like to lose the expensive tyres and possibly get a heat pump and powered boot - better suited to the old bones :D.

Reactions: CWT3LR
When I asked a while back it was a definite "No", but that was when 2nd hand process were high, so maybe they thought they could make more? I'll ask again, but not hopeful.

Also, when paying my own way I'd probably like to lose the expensive tyres and possibly get a heat pump and powered boot - better suited to the old bones :D.
Heat pump in the Y is really effective for cold weather. I had doubts at first, but heats the car quickly, no need to have it on more than 20C on even the coldest days, and I reckon is about a 5% hit to range.

It's a bit rubbish as an air con unit for hot days mind. Nowhere near cold enough.

Tesla cars are on the more expensive side now

But given their high margins, and planned production ramp up, Tesla may well have reduced to same-as-everyone levels by the time you and I replace ours ...

legacy manufacturers catching up every day

They've been catching up for as long as I can remember!! Whilst they catch up Tesla is moving forwards ... you'd expect the huge legacy auto to have caught up, given that they decided not to start early they must have assumed that catch up (or "buy in") was going to work. Plagued with software issues, most have OTA limited to Infotainment and return-to-dealer for other updates, and still some way behind on drivetrain effiicency. I'd expect them to catch that up in a year or two, but depends what Tesla does in that time ... maybe Tesla dropping price will starve legacy auto of money for sorting out the R&D stuff ...

When I asked a while back it was a definite "No"

The Salary Sacrifice company we use at work say "No" for buy-back if e.g. someone leaves etc. Strikes me as odd as what are they going to do with the car in that situation? I would have though a captive-buyer is a lot less hassle

Reactions: ringi
After all the things Tesla has been doing lately to self implode, I was wondering if anyone would ever be able to trust them again and spend more of their hard earned on another of their products. This doesn't count for cars already on order but for totally new orders only.

Feel free to vote and expand upon your reasons, remember there are no right or wrong answers, everyone is entitled to their opinion and lets keep it clean please.
Might be interesting to ask this question at different points in the ownership experience.

I think the answers will vary markedly from 1 month in, 12 months in and say 3, 4, or more years. Like most cars.