Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Would you buy another tesla

Would you buy another Tesla

• Yes

Votes: 213 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 55 13.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 88 21.9%
  • Absolutely no way due to the way tesla treat their customers

Votes: 21 5.2%
  • Of course, Tesla are the best thing since sliced bread

Votes: 24 6.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Imagine if instead of a $40,000 pickup truck (yeah, yeah - global inflation...) they had decided to spend their time on a proper seven seater SUV, maybe with full time 4 wheel drive. And a proper interior, not something that feels like it was designed by an AI and without any human design flair. Handing over 60 grand then wouldn't feel so bad. As it stands, the CyberTruck feels like it is for the US market only, given its size.

Watching a doc on Toyota yesterday - didn't realise they currently sell around 150 models on the world market. And they are highly sceptical of BEV, preferring hybrid and also new fuel technology. Tesla have four models, some getting quite long in the tooth design wise, and have very little to offer except "Hey! Another 0.2 seconds off a 0-60 time that you can't use on normal roads!". I am of the camp that sees EV as a stepping point to something different - whether it is hydrogen, capacitance or some as yet undiscovered tech like Doc Brown had - so maybe Toyota has it right?

Get what you mean about Chinese brands. Don't really want to buy a car that phones the missus if the in-car camera recognises someone in the passenger seat you really wouldn't want her to know about....😇
you realise that Hydrogen is... same EV just different type of battery (fuel cell) but with much worse efficiency and no infrastructure?

Imagine if instead of a $40,000 pickup truck (yeah, yeah - global inflation...) they had decided to spend their time on a proper seven seater SUV, maybe with full time 4 wheel drive. And a proper interior, not something that feels like it was designed by an AI and without any human design flair. Handing over 60 grand then wouldn't feel so bad. As it stands, the CyberTruck feels like it is for the US market only, given its size.

Watching a doc on Toyota yesterday - didn't realise they currently sell around 150 models on the world market. And they are highly sceptical of BEV, preferring hybrid and also new fuel technology. Tesla have four models, some getting quite long in the tooth design wise, and have very little to offer except "Hey! Another 0.2 seconds off a 0-60 time that you can't use on normal roads!". I am of the camp that sees EV as a stepping point to something different - whether it is hydrogen, capacitance or some as yet undiscovered tech like Doc Brown had - so maybe Toyota has it right?

Get what you mean about Chinese brands. Don't really want to buy a car that phones the missus if the in-car camera recognises someone in the passenger seat you really wouldn't want her to know about....😇
Yes, I think the Cybertruck is a misstep. As you say, it’s effectively US-only. The F150/Silverado/Ram pie that they’ve aimed it as is undoubtedly a huge one. But is it the right product? I’m not a potential buyer, but I wouldn’t entertain one if I wanted that kind of vehicle, and I doubt that a big enough slice of the pie will.

Yep, a proper SUV seating 7 and using Tesla’s incredibly packaging to get X7 space in a 4.9/5m long vehicle - that could clean up globally. And Tesla already has the platform, they ‘just’ need the body and interior. Forget ultimate aero and range for just one model. I’d rather have the car I need 365 days a year and sacrifice the range I need a couple of times a year.

Agreed on model range. I get the benefits…but…. Today I parked in a multi-story, of the 60 or so cars in my area, 4 were model Ys. Three of us were grey. Three of us had the same 20” wheels. That’s so boring. Ultimately, how many people want their car to look exactly like everyone else’s? There were 7 Disco 5s on my school run when I had mine, each one looked very different from the other.

They need more model lines and more differentiation. IMHO.

We’re all buying through lack of other options and a feeling of relative novelty right now. When you’re at Ford Fiesta levels of market penetration you need more. Unless being cheapest is your model.

ETA. I shouldn’t say “we are all buying”. Just, some or many of us.

Last edited:
Reactions: CWT3LR and Durzel
Wraps complicate insurance - many don't cover wraps period - and (imo) never look as good as a paint job, unless you're going for something like matte.
I wonder how much a full respray is? Can't bemuch more than the exhorbitant prices for the silver or red.

Quite a fancy an early 90s shocking green a la Vauxhall Nova, with a baseball cap to match

• Funny
Reactions: Durzel
So a stepping stone into the abyss other than hydrogen.... I knew something was smelling funny... I wonder what hydrogen smells like
🤔

After all the things Tesla has been doing lately to self implode.
I see no signs of Tesla imploding, quite the opposite. The cars get better over time, they are now becoming more affordable to more people and they still are the best car to do long distance with some of best efficiency numbers. Can you elaborate on "self implode"?

Fyi, have owned 4 EV. 4th was first Tesla

Reactions: boombap and ringi
I see no signs of Tesla imploding, quite the opposite. The cars get better over time, they are now becoming more affordable to more people and they still are the best car to do long distance with some of best efficiency numbers. Can you elaborate on "self implode"?

Fyi, have owned 4 EV. 4th was first Tesla
huh?!
they actually are getting better at extent. In some aspects - getting worse. Removal of USS for new cars - is worse. Disabling radar for AP/TACC and going vision only - worse.
Affordable?! How? They just "reduced price" to early 2022 level. price is the same as it was January 2022. How did it became "more affordable"?

🤣

As a recent recipient of a USS-less car (and coming from a M3 with USS) I beg to differ!!!
There was a time (pre-dates my ownership) that they tweaked efficiency, unlocked more of the reserved battery capacity, allowed greater current draw to increase acceleration, added clever new UI features - all worthwhile and very marketable developments. They justifiably built a reputation for "wake up with new features added to the car for free!"

Now? It seems that all the recent "improvements" have been designed with Tesla's bottom line in mind. Nothing interesting in the time I have had the car (nearly a year now) with no discernible advantages to the owner, unless you like the games they make available or fancy 20 minutes of Disney+ on a crap screen while you queue for the supercharger. Taking away features like lumbar, USS, radar, not fitting four mud flaps, removing real leather - all of which smack of the sort of thing a budget airline would do, not someone who prices their cars to compete with premium or even luxury brands.

2022 will sadly be recalled as the year Tesla blew their advantage. FSD - far from making them the world's most valuable company - will be the case study for hubris bringing down a profitable concern. And with the impending ban on ICE in Europe, just watch the slew of new vehicles from Euro car cos - at all points of the market.

How did it became "more affordable"?

Presumably you got your 10% inflation-matching pay rise on 01-Jan? 🥲

It seems that all the recent "improvements" have been designed with Tesla's bottom line in mind.

Significant improvements to "comfort" of suspension on MY (since I got mine in Feb 2022)

Nothing interesting in the time I have had the car (nearly a year now) with no discernible advantages to the owner

Short memory. These are ones I found since about Jan-2022 (bar games)"

Apple Music
Auto Turn Signal
Bug fixes (may or may not have fixed something that bothered you or I of course)
Adjust fan speed intensity while remaining in AUTO climate
Confirm Phone Call Transfer
Search for contacts from a connected Bluetooth device
View the interior camera from the mobile app while using Dog Mode or Sentry Mode
vehicle's energy consumption with the updated Energy app
Disable Automatic Doors option while parked at home
Improved information about why charge speed may be reduced
Improvements to route guidance in SatNav
Improvements to the way that seatbelts tighten and protect properly restrained occupants earlier in a wider array of frontal crashes (I read there were also improved algorithms for deployment of airbags depending on direction of the impact etc.)
greater customization of Sentry Mode
Track Mode
Make video calls with Zoom using the interior cabin camera
Driver Door Unlock Mode (e.g. unlock all doors)
Map Updates (they've never been free in any previous brand I've owned)
During DC fast charging, the thermal system controls optimize for charging stations power capability
automatically apply regular brakes for consistent deceleration when regenerative braking is limited due to battery temperature or state of charge
Sentry Mode alarms are silenced if Dog Mode and Sentry Mode are both enabled
Sentry Mode Live Camera Access
Supercharger map pop-up added: historical site occupancy
Reset the learned tire settings directly after a tire rotation, swap, or replacement
Battery Health
Battery heating performance improvements (with a Supercharger destination)
Cabin Overheat Protection
Car Left Open Notifications
Dynamic Brake Lights - emergency braking flashes the brake lights
Remote unlock door (e.g. if frozen)
Route planning now offers up to three routes
Driving warnings now include "Hot brakes" and "aquaplaning" detection
Blind Spot Camera
Disable Sentry Sounds - prevent disturbing neighbours
Driver Profiles / Cloud Profiles
vehicle may apply the brakes to prevent or mitigate a subsequent impact after an initial collision if airbag deployment is detected
Navigation directions relocate when their usual position is blocked
Cabin camera detects and alerts driver inattentiveness
Green Traffic Light Chime
Speed Assist
Read speed limit signs
Navigation Energy Prediction now incorporates forecasted crosswind, headwind, humidity and ambient temperature
Additional Bottom Bar Customization
Dog Mode and Camp Mode can now be enabled from the Tesla app
Estimated charging time accuracy improved (accounting for current battery pack temperature)
Child Lock can now be enabled for a single rear door
SatNav considers vehicle's width when planning routes
When viewing Supercharger details, the list of nearby chargers is no longer obscured
Vehicle preconditioning (from APP) now remain active up to 30 minutes after a door is opened, to allow for vehicle loading without affecting climate control.
Quickly save Dashcam clips by adding the Dashcam icon to your bottom bar
View and filter list of nearby Superchargers based on maximum charging power
Autopilot uses more regenerative braking at low speeds for higher efficiency and an improved driving experience, especially in stop-and-go traffic
Tire Pressure now available via API (and therefore subsequently in the APP)
Live traffic data showing also for alternate routes

I wonder how other brands fair in comparison for OTA improvements over about a 12 months period (plus all the Media / Games stuff for those that are interested)

Presumably you got your 10% inflation-matching pay rise on 01-Jan? 🥲

Significant improvements to "comfort" of suspension on MY (since I got mine in Feb 2022)

Short memory. These are ones I found since about Jan-2022 (bar games)"

Apple Music
Auto Turn Signal
Bug fixes (may or may not have fixed something that bothered you or I of course)
Adjust fan speed intensity while remaining in AUTO climate
Confirm Phone Call Transfer
Search for contacts from a connected Bluetooth device
View the interior camera from the mobile app while using Dog Mode or Sentry Mode
vehicle's energy consumption with the updated Energy app
Disable Automatic Doors option while parked at home
Improved information about why charge speed may be reduced
Improvements to route guidance in SatNav
Improvements to the way that seatbelts tighten and protect properly restrained occupants earlier in a wider array of frontal crashes (I read there were also improved algorithms for deployment of airbags depending on direction of the impact etc.)
greater customization of Sentry Mode
Track Mode
Make video calls with Zoom using the interior cabin camera
Driver Door Unlock Mode (e.g. unlock all doors)
Map Updates (they've never been free in any previous brand I've owned)
During DC fast charging, the thermal system controls optimize for charging stations power capability
automatically apply regular brakes for consistent deceleration when regenerative braking is limited due to battery temperature or state of charge
Sentry Mode alarms are silenced if Dog Mode and Sentry Mode are both enabled
Sentry Mode Live Camera Access
Supercharger map pop-up added: historical site occupancy
Reset the learned tire settings directly after a tire rotation, swap, or replacement
Battery Health
Battery heating performance improvements (with a Supercharger destination)
Cabin Overheat Protection
Car Left Open Notifications
Dynamic Brake Lights - emergency braking flashes the brake lights
Remote unlock door (e.g. if frozen)
Route planning now offers up to three routes
Driving warnings now include "Hot brakes" and "aquaplaning" detection
Blind Spot Camera
Disable Sentry Sounds - prevent disturbing neighbours
Driver Profiles / Cloud Profiles
vehicle may apply the brakes to prevent or mitigate a subsequent impact after an initial collision if airbag deployment is detected
Navigation directions relocate when their usual position is blocked
Cabin camera detects and alerts driver inattentiveness
Green Traffic Light Chime
Speed Assist
Read speed limit signs
Navigation Energy Prediction now incorporates forecasted crosswind, headwind, humidity and ambient temperature
Additional Bottom Bar Customization
Dog Mode and Camp Mode can now be enabled from the Tesla app
Estimated charging time accuracy improved (accounting for current battery pack temperature)
Child Lock can now be enabled for a single rear door
SatNav considers vehicle's width when planning routes
When viewing Supercharger details, the list of nearby chargers is no longer obscured
Vehicle preconditioning (from APP) now remain active up to 30 minutes after a door is opened, to allow for vehicle loading without affecting climate control.
Quickly save Dashcam clips by adding the Dashcam icon to your bottom bar
View and filter list of nearby Superchargers based on maximum charging power
Autopilot uses more regenerative braking at low speeds for higher efficiency and an improved driving experience, especially in stop-and-go traffic
Tire Pressure now available via API (and therefore subsequently in the APP)
Live traffic data showing also for alternate routes

I wonder how other brands fair in comparison for OTA improvements over about a 12 months period (plus all the Media / Games stuff for those that are interested)
Like I said, nothing of note that improves the car, beyond the fact the UI is so unfriendly to the user that they are putting right mistakes that should never have been allowed. Which come free to users of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

Oh - and some of what you have posted would be laughable if it wasn't so egregious. Reading speed limit signs! Should have gone to Specsavers...

What Tesla did in those ‘early’ days, people waking up to increased range etc. , was clever and has bought them an awful lot of good PR of the ‘the car improves over time’ nature.

I remain to be convinced that anything of significance is being added these days. I’m not giving huge credit for adding or fixing stuff that every cheaper competitor would have had working from new.

What I am curious about is the possibility that it was a deliberate strategy - “if we initially restrict the cars and then do these major OTA upgrades now, giving extra range, then that is positive publicity that we can’t buy. “ I doubt it was that, and only senior Tesla execs would know, but on the slim chance that it was then it was incredibly canny.

Reactions: CWT3LR
What Tesla did in those ‘early’ days, people waking up to increased range etc. , was clever and has bought them an awful lot of good PR of the ‘the car improves over time’ nature.

I remain to be convinced that anything of significance is being added these days. I’m not giving huge credit for adding or fixing stuff that every cheaper competitor would have had working from new.

What I am curious about is the possibility that it was a deliberate strategy - “if we initially restrict the cars and then do these major OTA upgrades now, giving extra range, then that is positive publicity that we can’t buy. “ I doubt it was that, and only senior Tesla execs would know, but on the slim chance that it was then it was incredibly canny.
I wake up every day to find Twitter has improved immeasurably, so it must be the Stable Genius Mk II at work again.

• Funny
Reactions: MashinBenzin