Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Would you buy another tesla

Would you buy another Tesla

• Yes

Votes: 213 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 55 13.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 88 21.9%
  • Absolutely no way due to the way tesla treat their customers

Votes: 21 5.2%
  • Of course, Tesla are the best thing since sliced bread

Votes: 24 6.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The idea of OTA updates to continuously improve the vehicle is a great idea. Unfortunately in the last 12 months Tesla has only seems to have used it as a way deliver poorly tested software knowing they can fix it later. As the product matures, major updates that greatly improve the vehicle will become less and less. Hopefully adaptive headlights will be one such update.

It's quite clear that whatever I say will not be agreed by you! The unassailable fact however is that improvements have been made to the car through free software OTA updates. My car is quicker, it charges faster, it has improved aspects which needed to be improved and it has added features that I haven't needed to pay for and that I haven't required to be installed/fitted at a dealership. Whether another car has a similar feature or whether that feature in the other car is better or worse is not relevant to me because I don't own that other model! My point is simply that the OTA updates that a Tesla receives provide an opportunity to develop and improve the car over time ... and that's a good thing.
Agreed. It seems like some people bought the car with over inflated hopes of what they would get OTA in order to fix all the inadequacies they knew their car had when they purchased it.

Reactions: boombap
The idea of OTA updates to continuously improve the vehicle is a great idea. Unfortunately in the last 12 months Tesla has only seems to have used it as a way deliver poorly tested software knowing they can fix it later. As the product matures, major updates that greatly improve the vehicle will become less and less. Hopefully adaptive headlights will be one such update.
I mean, OTA updates is not a miracle.

Bmw has updated my car at that time - BMW 330e (g20) in early 2020 with maps update and added Android Auto. Android auto just appeared and worked via cable and wireless.
For free

Moreover, I never paid for data connection. In 2 years - not a single penny

I'm on number 5 . So far I have had a 2019 Model 3 P-, 3 model 3 LR's and a Model Y LR. I just cancelled another Model Y LR due for delivery now. This is the first Tesla I have ordered that I could not sell for more than the new price I would have to pay for the one on order. So I will stick with the current one 3 months old less than 1000 miles. As Motorway, Car Wow, WBAC will no longer touch a Tesla with a barge-pole, before cancelling I asked Tesla for a trade in £41000, worse than all the other 3 aforementioned.
I immediately cancelled.
There have been 2 reasons why I have bought 5 Teslas.
The ability to change every 6 months without any depreciation or cost and the Supercharger Network.
My second car is a Kia, My Tesla replacement in 9 months time will probably also be a non Tesla.
Reasons - the Tesla is a fast car and has a reasonable efficiency and range but it is substandard in almost all other respects.
It is uncomfortable with poor seating,
it is not the greatest looking car,
the wipers are dangerous, the lights are dangerous,
the autopilot, cruise control, lane keeping is not as good as most other cars offering those functions,
Tesla has an obsession with removing essential controls which should be located manually not digitally such as wipers lights, glove-box and will shortly remove other sticks!.
Not only are spare parts phenomenally expensive but unavailable for unreasonable periods.
The Model Y is a lot better than the Model 3 but still not great for driving on UK country roads.
If there is no acceptable alternative that can use the supercharger networks, I will revert to a Petrol vehicle.

I'm on number 5 . So far I have had a 2019 Model 3 P-, 3 model 3 LR's and a Model Y LR. I just cancelled another Model Y LR due for delivery now. This is the first Tesla I have ordered that I could not sell for more than the new price I would have to pay for the one on order. So I will stick with the current one 3 months old less than 1000 miles. As Motorway, Car Wow, WBAC will no longer touch a Tesla with a barge-pole, before cancelling I asked Tesla for a trade in £41000, worse than all the other 3 aforementioned.
I immediately cancelled.
There have been 2 reasons why I have bought 5 Teslas.
The ability to change every 6 months without any depreciation or cost and the Supercharger Network.
My second car is a Kia, My Tesla replacement in 9 months time will probably also be a non Tesla.
Reasons - the Tesla is a fast car and has a reasonable efficiency and range but it is substandard in almost all other respects.
It is uncomfortable with poor seating,
it is not the greatest looking car,
the wipers are dangerous, the lights are dangerous,
the autopilot, cruise control, lane keeping is not as good as most other cars offering those functions,
Tesla has an obsession with removing essential controls which should be located manually not digitally such as wipers lights, glove-box and will shortly remove other sticks!.
Not only are spare parts phenomenally expensive but unavailable for unreasonable periods.
The Model Y is a lot better than the Model 3 but still not great for driving on UK country roads.
If there is no acceptable alternative that can use the supercharger networks, I will revert to a Petrol vehicle.
Is it really necessary to buy a new car every 6 months?

Don’t you think that’s just a touch indulgent / wasteful / reckless to the environment even. Given we’re all supposed to be consuming less.

Your life though.

Is it really necessary to buy a new car every 6 months?

Don’t you think that’s just a touch indulgent / wasteful / reckless to the environment even. Given we’re all supposed to be consuming less.

Your life though.
If there is no extra cost and cars are just going to the next owner, then there is nothing wrong with this approach as it is net zero in all aspects.

The only “indulgence “ I can see is in all the extra wasted admin time that this incurs… but next to social media, that is infinitesimally small!

Agreed. It seems like some people bought the car with over inflated hopes of what they would get OTA in order to fix all the inadequacies they knew their car had when they purchased it.
Nope. I bought the car knowing about some major flaws and not expecting them to change. With familiarity, some things (material quality) are better than expected, some things (tech) are worse. Which is normal with any car to have a gradual change in views with experience. Especially one that’s been test driven for 30 minutes versus 24-72 hours that I’ve done with other manufacturers.

OTA I never saw as a major thing and that’s how it’s proved so far.

What some people like to say is that OTA is some significant advantage - the experience of many of us so far would seem to be that it’s no big deal.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Nope. I bought the car knowing about some major flaws and not expecting them to change. With familiarity, some things (material quality) are better than expected, some things (tech) are worse. Which is normal with any car to have a gradual change in views with experience. Especially one that’s been test driven for 30 minutes versus 24-72 hours that I’ve done with other manufacturers.

OTA I never saw as a major thing and that’s how it’s proved so far.

What some people like to say is that OTA is some significant advantage - the experience of many of us so far would seem to be that it’s no big deal.
on contrary - I now will not install OTA unless I will collect all information. I am now afraid that musk and his minions will push OTA and will disable my USS... so I'd rather wait, read the update posts and will make sure nothing is disabled, like it was with radar

I was looking to change my 9 month old YLR to YP, but WBAC, car wow, motorway and even Tesla aren’t interested in taking second hand Tesla’s currently. Highest offer currently is £36k. That’s a £20k loss in 9 months. Looks like I’m in for the long haul. Oh well….:

Reactions: CWT3LR
So much for environmental concerns.
could you not argue that as a result of those 5 cars a chain has been set up and at the end of it it 5 fairly old, inefficient, polluting vehicles have probably been pushed onto the scrap heap.
Either we want to move to eclectic or we don't? I don't see how this is any different from 5 people ordering new electric cars which we would applaud

Reactions: roadcred and CWT3LR
could you not argue that as a result of those 5 cars a chain has been set up and at the end of it it 5 fairly old, inefficient, polluting vehicles have probably been pushed onto the scrap heap.
Either we want to move to eclectic or we don't? I don't see how this is any different from 5 people ordering new electric cars which we would applaud
The sum becomes complicated when considering that ice last some 12yrs average but will folk shell out for new EV batteries at say 9-10yrs when range has plummeted and will those old packs be properly recycled. I could see an argument for refurbing those old ice cars and getting them to 15-20 yes to avoid the manufacture pollution of ev for low mileage users

Reactions: Whyone and CWT3LR
This is an Autotrader article from 2017 so isn't impacted by significant EV numbers but does have some surprising stats. It's useful to introduce some perspective:
"When it comes to the type of car brand consumers are most loyal to, volume (Ford, Vauxhall, Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Kia, Hyundai) tops premium (Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Volkswagen), with 25% of volume owners repeat buying, compared with just 16% of premium. However, of all the car brands Volkswagen was identified as the most likely to drive loyalty, with 26% of new VW owners stating they always purchase the same make. This was in contrast to BMW, which was revealed to be the least loyal brand, with just 9% of new owners sticking to the German car maker."

I mean, OTA updates is not a miracle.

Bmw has updated my car at that time - BMW 330e (g20) in early 2020 with maps update and added Android Auto. Android auto just appeared and worked via cable and wireless.
For free

Moreover, I never paid for data connection. In 2 years - not a single penny

I mean - you have paid for data - they've just included it in the price you pay. Don't they charge you after 3 years? Pretty sure maps was a chargable thing after that long with my BMW. And they barely do OTA updates - its a different world vs Tesla. I guess its a factor of how the software is produced in the first place, likely waterfall and based on lifecycle updates so perhaps every 2-3 years a new big release is ready.

they'll all improve, some faster than others. And Teslas' rollout and fix later isn't ideal either.

This is an Autotrader article from 2017 so isn't impacted by significant EV numbers but does have some surprising stats. It's useful to introduce some perspective:
"When it comes to the type of car brand consumers are most loyal to, volume (Ford, Vauxhall, Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Kia, Hyundai) tops premium (Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Volkswagen), with 25% of volume owners repeat buying, compared with just 16% of premium. However, of all the car brands Volkswagen was identified as the most likely to drive loyalty, with 26% of new VW owners stating they always purchase the same make. This was in contrast to BMW, which was revealed to be the least loyal brand, with just 9% of new owners sticking to the German car maker."

Interesting article that, cheers. I’m definitely in the best product (for my needs at that time) camp, rather than brand loyal. 8 brands across 12 cars and only Toyota, BMW and Land Rover managed repeat purchases. Those three would probably still be my go to if they had the product - for instance an electric Land Rover is pretty much my ideal car at this stage of family life.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
I note that a recent report, Tesla had dropped to to number 7 in the ADAS rankings. Hitherto they held the top spot or were in the top 3.
City streets coming soon when I bought in March 2020, didn’t.
My first MOT is at the end of March. I will be in my final year of year of basic warranty.
There is a sign that the FSD beta is creeping towards LHD Europe. RHD Europe is at the bottom of the pile.
I Will get a refund for FSD this year and probably switch to an Ioniq 6. That will be a shame. There is much I like about the M3 but for me, Tesla have to shift their focus a long way to improving how the car behaves on the road in any conditions, not how excellent it’s farting capability is.
My car, with older hardware and B pillar cameras that spend most of their life blocked or blinded, will never be fully capable of FSD.
At least my parking sensors work!

Over-inflated hopes of what they could get, fuelled by the fanbois on sites like this. Seems odd to be defending a company that offers not much in the way of improvement and significant inadequacies, by saying that Tesla is a bit crap at that sort of thing?

The sum becomes complicated when considering that ice last some 12yrs average but will folk shell out for new EV batteries at say 9-10yrs when range has plummeted and will those old packs be properly recycled. I could see an argument for refurbing those old ice cars and getting them to 15-20 yes to avoid the manufacture pollution of ev for low mileage users
Environmental damage comes in many forms. And also the working conditions of people throughout the supply chain. I think we are trading of directly attributable co2 emissions versus the (mostly) hidden damage caused by extraction for battery construction. And potentially disposal.

Interesting article that, cheers. I’m definitely in the best product (for my needs at that time) camp, rather than brand loyal. 8 brands across 12 cars and only Toyota, BMW and Land Rover managed repeat purchases. Those three would probably still be my go to if they had the product - for instance an electric Land Rover is pretty much my ideal car at this stage of family life.

CEO of JLR was on a news site yesterday saying they are very pleased with progress on full conversion to EV over next 2 years. TATA has funded the conversion, and also much greater tech investment from tech companies and manufacturers, as well as aluminium monocoque designs to reduce weight. Might not have too long to wait for a proper SUV EV.

• Love
Reactions: MashinBenzin