Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Would you buy another tesla

Would you buy another Tesla

• Yes

Votes: 213 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 55 13.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 88 21.9%
  • Absolutely no way due to the way tesla treat their customers

Votes: 21 5.2%
  • Of course, Tesla are the best thing since sliced bread

Votes: 24 6.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean - you have paid for data - they've just included it in the price you pay. Don't they charge you after 3 years? Pretty sure maps was a chargable thing after that long with my BMW. And they barely do OTA updates - its a different world vs Tesla. I guess its a factor of how the software is produced in the first place, likely waterfall and based on lifecycle updates so perhaps every 2-3 years a new big release is ready.

they'll all improve, some faster than others. And Teslas' rollout and fix later isn't ideal either.
probably they would charge after 3 years. but tesla charges after 1 month.

in reality if only they just put that 10 gbp a month on the car price - up it by 1000 in total, that would cover 8 years... and no one would notice and there would be no posts in the forum in this regard and everyone would be happy.

And I am not sure about "barely do OTA" part - most of the stuff in BMW just works straight out of the box (wiper sensors, variable fan speed on auto temp, etc.) so there is no need to fcuk up UI every 12 months and add stuff as "novelty" because stuff is there.

but they update maps and added android auto via OTA. I had probably 3 or 4 OTA updates during 2 years of ownership of the car. I do not know - cannot fault it. maps were up to date, all stuff worked, no worries.

no farting noises, though.

Last edited:
As a minimum my next car will have to have:
A decent binnacle display
A HUD
Real leather instead of this cheap looking vegan crap
Matrix headlights
Wipers that work properly
Parking aid that works now and not at some unknown time in the future
A few physical buttons for things like HVAC
Comfort and refinement expected for a car in this price range
A reasonable certainty that features I’ve paid for won’t be taken away

That pretty much rules out another Tesla.

A HUD
Matrix headlights

You could sacrifice 80% of your wish list and Tesla would still be ruled out.

The incredible thing is that the technology items on your list have been around for absolutely ages and yet the company that tries to be known as “a tech company not a car company” doesn’t have them.

When I first encountered auto wipers 20-ish years ago, I never thought I’d buy a new car two decades later that can’t handle wipers on a dry day with low sun. It would have been like the two decade old technology on THAT car not working, flakey central locking, electric windows that wouldn’t close, CD player jamming.

Reactions: CWT3LR and Pants
could you not argue that as a result of those 5 cars a chain has been set up and at the end of it it 5 fairly old, inefficient, pollulluting vehicles....
You could argue that.

But I don't think that is correct.

Unnecessary over consumption is one of the world's many ill's.....mobile phones are a good example.

The cars in this instance were being bought and flipped for profit, so wouldn't have ended up as bargains on the used market and thus fostering the sort of trickle-down EV adoption you suggest. They just fueled the demand for the manufacture of more new, shiney things.

CEO of JLR was on a news site yesterday saying they are very pleased with progress on full conversion to EV over next 2 years. TATA has funded the conversion, and also much greater tech investment from tech companies and manufacturers, as well as aluminium monocoque designs to reduce weight. Might not have too long to wait for a proper SUV EV.

Electric Classic Cars in Wales has done a number of impressive looking conversions with Land Rovers and Range Rovers if you can't wait! Some interesting stuff on Youtube including some challenging 4x4 action:

in reality if only they just put that 10 gbp a month on the car price - up it by 1000 in total, that would cover 8 years...
This does not take into account inflation and the risk that the cost of the service will not change being taken on by Tesla. So would look bad on the balance sheet for Tesla.

Tesla has clearly taken the decision that the "Happy customer" value proposition is lower than the impact on the balance sheet and initial price reduction.

A HUD
Matrix headlights

Sound like my audi A7 i got rid of to get the tesla.

Reactions: Pants and CWT3LR
no ragrets ?:D
i did it for tax reason not because i actually wanted a Tesla, and to be fair to the Tesla its not actually a bad car and build quality is better than i expected.

However.

It does nothing better than the audi, other than save me money and go faster.

Interior is worse, less "useful" gadgets, cameras are crap in comparison, headlights, well headlights on the audi were another league, full matrix LED's to tesla version is quite different, but the lights themself with the matrix are acutally pretty decent.

again usebale boot capacity is less than the A7, far far less common very rarely see them on the road, i had a well spec'd black edition bi-tdi version,

I probably saw about 10 in my 3 year ownership, i probably see 10 teslas a day now.

also i dont think it will wear anywhere near the same as the audi, i.e poor paint and fake leather.

Last edited:
i did it for tax reason not because i actually wanted a Tesla, and to be fair to the Tesla its not actually a bad car and build quality is better than i expected.

However.

It does nothing better than the audi, other than save me money and go faster.

Interior is worse, less "useful" gadgets, cameras are crap in comparison, headlights, well headlights on the audi were another league, full matrix LED's to tesla version is quite different, but the lights themself with the matrix are acutally pretty decent.

again usebale boot capacity is less than the A7, far far less common very rarely see them on the road, i had a well spec'd black edition bi-tdi version,

I probably saw about 10 in my 3 year ownership, i probably see 10 teslas a day now.

also i dont think it will wear anywhere near the same as the audi, i.e poor paint and fake leather.
I feel you.

I had loads of discussions (I think in US forum) regarding AP. I was trying to say that others do it, and many things they do better than tesla ... no one believed me :D

Sound like my audi A7 i got rid of to get the tesla.
I still have my A6 and I find I’m driving it more and more. I use my M3P for shorter journeys and for blasting around when I want I bit of fun, but for long motorway cruises I always use the A6. It’s much quieter and more comfortable at motorway speeds, and I can drive 600 miles before filling up. At current prices I reckon I spend less on diesel than I would on public charging. Having wipers that work perfectly is also a bonus.

Reactions: CWT3LR
To be fair, the A6 and A7 are nicer cars than a tesla model 3 and always have been and the cars are more expensive so that follows.

Given an A7 in S-Line trim is 56.7k in ICE form, I’d hope so as well. The BEV version would probably be knocking on £70k if the usual ICE to BEV mark up applies.

Reactions: ringi
You could argue that.

But I don't think that is correct.

Unnecessary over consumption is one of the world's many ill's.....mobile phones are a good example.

The cars in this instance were being bought and flipped for profit, so wouldn't have ended up as bargains on the used market and thus fostering the sort of trickle-down EV adoption you suggest. They just fueled the demand for the manufacture of more new, shiney things.
These cars were not primarily being flipped for profit but to continually extend the warranties, benefit from new model upgrades such as heat pumps, parcel shelves, better quality build etc. The fact that I could make a profit and satisfy a market demand and extend EV usuage were useful by products. To me it was a no brainer. I could have stuck with my first 2019 Model 3 P- now almost out of warranty, poorly built and lacking many refinements including efficiency and range but instead without cost to me I drive a 4 months old Model Y LR, a much bigger, better car with a better range and much better build quality and 3 yrs 8 months warranty remaining. Throughout that almost 4 years I have not spent a penny on tyres or servicing or any other repair and still have an extremely low mileage vehicle.
Why the poor response from some contributors here? As a pensioner my first priority is always to try to look after my coin first - and that's what I have done.
I can't influence what the other 8 billion are doing and me not buying 4 cars is making no difference at all but it does mean that 4 additional EVs are on UK roads.

eh? Since you bought 4 new cars, your old teslas wend on the market anyway - someone bought them. so all in all there's still 4 additional EVs on a road.
Old saying..three points of view..yours, mine
and the truth.
4 new EVs could mean 4 Ice unnecessarily scrapped and new cars unnecessarily built. Or could mean 4 extra cars clogging up the chargers and traffic. Or 4 extra cars in inventory...
It also means 4 lots of money into the USA economy and not helping out balance of payment. Or a quantity of stimulus to our economy trickling down.
Someone somewhere will claim a halo.

Reactions: Whyone and roadcred