Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ukrainian-Russian situation: impact to the market

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, I'm talking about a hypothetical situation in which Putin is already shooting his guns at Ukrainians, not the current state of affairs.
The scenario I thought we were discussing was one where Putin isn’t shooting guns, and the Ukrainians aren’t either. In this scenario Putin tries to get parts of Ukraine to vote for joining Russia through democratic elections.

- - - Updated - - -

Putin does after all still pretend that Russia is a democracy, even though he and his henchmen, as I understand it, rigged their last election (haven’t read up on the previous ones).

The scenario I thought we were discussing was one where Putin isn’t shooting guns, and the Ukrainians aren’t either. In this scenario Putin tries to get parts of Ukraine to vote for joining Russia through democratic elections.

- - - Updated - - -

Putin does after all still pretend that Russia is a democracy, even though he and his henchmen, as I understand it, rigged their last election (haven’t read up on the previous ones).

If Putin doesn't start shooting at Ukrainians, then there are a vast array of diplomatic options available to restabilize the region, and this crisis is essentially already over. I'm speaking to the subject of the title of this thread -- the extent of Russian invasion and its effect on the market. I'm currently trading on the possibility that guns will in fact be fired because too often in history when a tyrant feels powerful, righteous and yet threatened, they tend to attack. I am however praying my defensive trades lose money and this is resolved peacefully.

If Putin doesn't start shooting at Ukrainians, then there are a vast array of diplomatic options available to restabilize the region, and this crisis is essentially already over. I'm speaking to the subject of the extent of Russian invasion and its effect on the market. I'm currently trading on the possibility that guns will in fact be fired because too often in history when a tyrant feels powerful, righteous and yet threatened, they tend to attack. I am however praying my defensive trades lose money and this is resolved peacefully.
I don't have any fuzzy feelings toward Putin but as if he wanted to really take Ukraine his best strategy would not be giving the west and Ukraine time to organize anything and tanks would be there already. Longer no shooting obviously better. Suspect he wants nonviolent end or with element of surprise there would already be violence

I don't have any fuzzy feelings toward Putin but as if he wanted to really take Ukraine his best strategy would not be giving the west and Ukraine time to organize anything and tanks would be there already. Longer no shooting obviously better. Suspect he wants nonviolent end or with element of surprise there would already be violence

That's a plausible theory. I'm trying to logically wargame Putin's moves as well as that of Ukrainians, and wondering what happens if shots are fired (isolated incidents? Rapid escalation?). Last estimates I read showed 45,000+ Russian troop strength in the area and full Russian operational control of Crimea. 45k Russian men with rifles would appear to be fully 1/4 the strength of all Ukrainian active military personnel and more Russian troops are moving in every hour.

Edit: this is not good:

Reuters said:
Russia's Black Sea Fleet has told Ukrainian forces in Crimea to surrender by 0300 GMT on Tuesday or face a military assault, Interfax news agency quoted a source in the Ukrainian Defence Ministry as saying.

The ultimatum, Interfax said, was issued by Alexander Vitko, the fleet's commander.

The ministry did not immediately confirm the report and there was no immediate comment by the Black Sea Fleet, which has a base in Crimea, where Russian forces are in control.

"If they do not surrender before 5 a.m. tomorrow, a real assault will be started against units and divisions of the armed forces across Crimea," the agency quoted the ministry source as saying.

Last edited:
On Topic:

Re: Post #69 up-thread (If Russia invades Ukraine: impact to the market - Page 7):

No ultimatum, says the Russian defence ministry, via Vedemosti.

A snap partial translation:

Russia’s defence ministry has denied information that they have given Ukrainian forces in Crimea an ultimatum.

An official defence ministry called the original agency statement about the ultimatum “complete nonsense”, and said no such ultimatum had been given to the Ukrainian military in Crimea.

Source:

Ukraine crisis: Russia says Nato pressure 'will not help stabilise the situation' – live | World news | theguardian.com

Last edited:
Well as I mentioned I planned to take a protective stake in UVXY. I bought $80, $95 March calls after the open when it dropped. Half around $73 and half at the bottom. The portion is now nicely in green. With the Tesla rally (added some $400 '15 LEAPs when they were around $7 this morning) added to it my portfolio is in fact about 1% up today even though Solar is down.

Well as I mentioned I planned to take a protective stake in UVXY. I bought $80, $95 March calls after the open when it dropped. Half around $73 and half at the bottom. The portion is now nicely in green. With the Tesla rally (added some $400 '15 LEAPs when they were around $7 this morning) added to it my portfolio is in fact about 1% up today even though Solar is down.

I did almost the opposite and I fail today :). Bought VXX a little high and sold my LEAPS too low. Ugh.

Holding VXX calls overnight, bought some deep OTM LEAPS back along with some April 280's. Strangely it seems TSLA is a safety stock today...we may have graduated to a new level...

Last edited:
US suspends trade talks, military engagements with Russia over Ukraine

OK, I realize most of us here are not geo-political analysts, but let's chat about the short- and long-term implications of Putin's actions...
Energy to Eastern Europe?
Implications to the supply and demand for natural gas?
NATO action? (intentionally omitted, anything U.S. political)

None of the above?
Value of electrical infrastructure and transport? (Meaning TSLA, solar, and others not yet identified)

I did once. It really hurt. Never again. I'm ignorant on stock trading, but I know enough to not touch that stove again.

They are perfectly fine if you use them correctly. But you have to remember with a VERY volatile stock like TSLA you would HAVE to put in a wide stop loss. Like on the order of 10% in order to work with an around the weekly fluctuations of the stock. The purpose of it would be to avoid another Q3 situation from hurting so bad. So you would have dumped out at say, 170-165, waited for it to bottom out, and then bought back in. But smart money would have seen that the first fire was going to hurt the stock and either shorted, sold, or just re-inforced your position with more longs as the stock went down. The stop loss is there for people who can't watch the stock every day. Chances are, if you are posting here, you are likely watching the stock every day... so you would be better at timing the swings manually.

OK, I realize most of us here are not geo-political analysts, but let's chat about the short- and long-term implications of Putin's actions...
Energy to Eastern Europe?
Implications to the supply and demand for natural gas?
NATO action? (intentionally omitted, anything U.S. political)

None of the above?
Value of electrical infrastructure and transport? (Meaning TSLA, solar, and others not yet identified)

The confilicts are bad for the whole world economy in general.

But Tesla can profit form the higher Oil prices that will occure if the NATO will impose trade sanctions on Russia.
At the same time a new debate about the energy and Oil dependency to Russia, especially in EUs case will start new conversations and efforts to get of Oil, therefore it is more likely that we see much better subsidies in Europe for EVs as a result of the Russia Conflict.

Im not certain about the role of China in this conflict, China seems to stand on Russians side in this conflict. I would like to get an idea of how far China will take this partnership.

Worstcase would be if the conflict escalades and China and Russia form an Trading Union that excludes the West, but by that time we would be in the middle of WW3.

What worries me is that Putin seems to be in the "I dont give a ****" mode, and has the powers of a Dictator in Russia.

They are perfectly fine if you use them correctly. But you have to remember with a VERY volatile stock like TSLA you would HAVE to put in a wide stop loss. Like on the order of 10% in order to work with an around the weekly fluctuations of the stock. The purpose of it would be to avoid another Q3 situation from hurting so bad. So you would have dumped out at say, 170-165, waited for it to bottom out, and then bought back in. But smart money would have seen that the first fire was going to hurt the stock and either shorted, sold, or just re-inforced your position with more longs as the stock went down. The stop loss is there for people who can't watch the stock every day. Chances are, if you are posting here, you are likely watching the stock every day... so you would be better at timing the swings manually.

One would think they would be perfectly fine. But when I had a 10%+ stop loss on AAPL at ~260, and it decided to drop to ~230 over the course of 5 minutes back in the flash crash, my AAPL shares got sold at 203 and it recovered to 260 in a matter of minutes. And of course, since AAPL wasn't an "affected stock" (that only applied to stocks which lost 40% of their value, or some nonsense like that), the trades didn't get cancelled, as they did for many other stocks.

Still pretty pissed about that.

As for short-term movements: Frankfurt opened and we're up to $257. Only 3k shares traded of course, but this is making the 260 calls I wrote yesterday look pretty bad. Pennies in front of a steamroller indeed. Does anyone know if most brokerages provide a way to designate which shares to get called away, if it comes down to that?

Last edited: