Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ultimate Road Trip Challenge Downtown Austin, TX to Chama, NM in one day or less...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like you have done several long trips... which ones have been your favorites or least favorite? Also does my NM trip sound doable solo?
I've only had the MS 11 months, but 25K miles.

I find that driving the long trips is quite easy, much easier than an ICE car. Taking breaks where you just walk around instead of the game of seeing how long you can possibly wait to stop without your bladder exploding is much easier. On long max travel days i typically go 12 hours, but only because i'm not crazy about driving at night. 12 hour total, not 12 hours driving, Bigger battery cars can skip superchargers (or just stop for a short break) after a longer charge at a meal stop. I don't skip stops, but definitely stop for a shorter time after a meal stop.

I'll take some of that route in October and will run from Tucumcari to just west of San Antonio in a day.

Yeah, every time I think driving at night is a good idea, I end up thinking, wow this is so much less safe than the day... It may be a little better on some backroads and with autopilot it often feels a little safer to me, but still, day driving is the best. Do you have a preference with respect to two lane texas roads versus highways?

Sorry, I am not at all familiar with that route. But a friend and I did 960 miles in a day once, in an 85 kWh car limited to 90kW charging and with no AP.

There were two of us in the car, but I might as well not have been since he wanted to (and did) do all of the driving.

It was really a pretty nice trip. Without all the noise, vibration and smell of an ICE, you don't get so tired, and the charging breaks help too. The only issue was with that much sitting I start to get sore. My wife and I have done up to 800 miles, but usually keep it under 600 for that reason.

Reactions: buttershrimp