TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

ULTIMATE Solar Thread

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by Maximapolak, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

#1 Maximapolak, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    I’ve been thinking about solar lately. And I though, why not have a thread that will help everyone new to solar learn about pricing, etc.

Here’s my idea. Everyone, who has solar installed, or quotes, post the info below.

1. State:
    2. Company:
    3. Solar size (in kW):
    4. Price (before and after incentives):
    5. Storage (battery or no)
    6. How long it took (from quote to operational):
    7: Incentives in that state:
    8: Anything else that would prove useful.

• Like x 1
  2. winfield100

winfield100 Active Member

3. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

1. State: Texas
    2. Company: TAC Solar
    3. Solar size (in kW): 10k
    4. Price (before and after incentives): $25k before, $17.5k after
    5. Storage (battery or no): No (but plan to in the future)
    6. How long it took (from quote to operational): Approximately eight weeks (25% of that time was my considering the bid)
    7: Incentives in that state: No sales tax or property tax on solar; various power companies have rebates and incentives but my cooperative ended solar incentives in 2017
    8: Anything else that would prove useful.

• Like x 1
  4. robt_sf

robt_sf Member

1. State: CA
    2. Company: Self Installed (hired electrician for wiring only)
    3. Solar size (in kW): 6.92KW
    4. Price (before and after incentives):$12,800, ~8000? after tax credit that is coming.
    5. Storage (battery or no) - 2 Tesla Powerwall 2s (still waiting for PG&E SGIP rebate)
    6. How long it took (from quote to operational): 15 months (try getting San Francisco Department of Building inspection to issue permit to non solar installer. Hint its very very difficult...)

7: Incentives in that state: None
    8: Anything else that would prove useful. 22 Trina Solar 310 Modules Poly with a SolarEdge USS7600 that I paid extra needlessly for in preparation for a DC Powerwall that was discontinued after I bought unit (Thanks Elon!). Happy with overall system, not happy with Mother Nature here in SF especially during summer foggy season :(

• Like x 1
  5. NuShrike

NuShrike Member

#5 NuShrike, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    NEM Currently Interconnected Data Set CaliforniaDGStats

I hope 747,635 CA Residential (and not counting industrial) installations since 1998 to Apr-2018 is enough for comparison.

• Informative x 1
  6. Kimo

Kimo Member

1. State: Colorado
    2. Company: Thames Electric
    3. Solar size (in kW): 9.72kW LG 360 watt panels with iq7+ enphase microinverters using ballasted mounts.
    4. Price (before and after incentives): $27995 ($19600 after)
    5. Storage (battery or no): No
    6. How long it took (from quote to operational): Still in process. From bids to actual install was 4 weeks, waiting for power company to do their part.) Was told whole process could be as quick as 1 month or as long as 3 months depending on how long it takes the power company to provide final approval, and install meters.
    7: Incentives in that state: No sales tax, no property tax, and any rewards program the power company may have.
    8: Anything else that would prove useful. Get lots of quotes, and not just from the larger players. If you have a flat roof (like mine), many of the larger solar folks wouldn't even give me a bid as they are not very common in Colorado.

• Like x 1
  7. roblab

roblab Active Member

I, too, did all I could to help install my system. I got permits, shopped around and bought panels, and had my wife hand them up to me on the roof, where my sister in law (in high heels, no less) helped me bolt them down. I ran the wiring through the roof and thence to the inverters. An electrician hooked up the 240 to the circuit breaker box. That was install #1. As time went by, I added more panels (upping watts of original strings, all pre-planned). That was install #2. Later, I helped a couple men dig holes and fill them with posts and concrete, lining them up at the top for rails for more panels, install #3. Then I got more panels, got help mounting them and running 240 from the inverters at the panels to my circuit breakers, install #4. Then I bought eight 100 lb lead acid batteries and bolted thick wires to them in series and parallel and ran them to a battery management unit. Install #5. THEN, I pulled out all the original inverters and battery minder stuff, scrapped the ten year old batteries, and ordered three Power Walls. That was prep #6. When the inverters get here, we'll try to get everything done, again. That will be end of this year.

What I'm saying is that it's a process. People tell me they can't afford to put in solar, but I somehow afforded it over years of time and a lot of personal work. Just take a few baby steps, learn to walk, learn to run, learn finally to do without your electric bill. Haven't paid one for years, which is exactly what PAID for my solar system. Works for me!

• Like x 1
  8. Piney999

Piney999 Member

1. State: Washington
    2. Company: BloomSolar
    3. Solar size (in kW): 12kW Q.Peak 300-4.1 modules
    4. Price (before and after incentives): $30,400 before // $6,200 after
    5. Storage (battery or no) == No
    6. How long it took (from quote to operational): 4 weeks
    7: Incentives in that state: 50% of entire contract paid over 4-8 years
    8: Anything else that would prove useful. SolarEdge 10000HD Inverter

Solicited 12 bids, and BloomSolar out of Seattle was a clear winner. If you live in the PNW and are interested, give them a call.