Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ultra hi-fi sound change to Premium Sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found out that Tesla have change the upgraded sound package wish now includes "High bitrate streaming capability". Exactly what difference this will make is a good question but the price is $2500, is that the same as before?

Found out that Tesla have change the upgraded sound package wish now includes "High bitrate streaming capability". Exactly what difference this will make is a good question but the price is $2500, is that the same as before?
Yes, the price is the same. As far as I know it's always had that capability. At least my 2015 does for Slacker Premium. Do you have a link that shows that it changed?

For those of us with Spotify, good service though it is, the SQ is simply awful.
I assume due to horribly low bitrate.

My memory stick got purloined for a different use for a while and resorted to using Spotify and recall thinking that UHFS really is terrible, then on a whim tried BT audio off my phone as was shocked at how much better it sounded.

Immediately got a new memory stick and another step forward again to the point that UHFS back again to being quite acceptable albeit somewhat overpriced for what it is.

@tesla please improve the Spotify SQ - it really defeats the cost of UHFS when it sounds so poor.

I have a couple of high and low bit rate files of the same song on a flash drive and no one I've met can tell them apart. ???

I've tried those online tests too and the bit rate has to go pretty low to tell, with headphones and the small little sample over and over. Placebo or I and everyone I've met has really bad hearing.

How low is the Tesla streaming at anyway? 128kbit/s or something?

• Helpful
Reactions: Johann Koeber
I have a couple of high and low bit rate files of the same song on a flash drive and no one I've met can tell them apart. ???

I've tried those online tests too and the bit rate has to go pretty low to tell, with headphones and the small little sample over and over. Placebo or I and everyone I've met has really bad hearing.

How low is the Tesla streaming at anyway? 128kbit/s or something?
I think the default is 128 and you used to be able to up it to 320 without upgrading to Premium but I agree that to my ear the difference is only slightly discernible.

there is a lot of bullsh* talked about streaming bitrates imho, so I am not at all surprised if you cannot readily tell them apart.

The truth is that the better the replay system and environment, the more readily you can distinguish between low/high or no compression.

So a super quiet optimised room with a multi $10K's system can be extraordinarily revealing, but a car frankly is no such thing.
It is a noisy, acoustically horrid environment fitted with unbelievably cheap components sold at eye watering prices for what they are.

As a rule of thumb once you get to 192Kbps, you are going to need a pretty decent system to hear any differences, and frankly 128Kbps is barely a limitation for automotive audio.

whayever is going on with Spotify right now it feels more like 64kbps, it is that obviously poor. Slacker clearly is better at this time, if not perfect.