TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Ultra hi-fi sound change to Premium Sound

Discussion in 'Model X' started by vigge50, Apr 29, 2017.

1. vigge50

vigge50 Member

Found out that Tesla have change the upgraded sound package wish now includes "High bitrate streaming capability". Exactly what difference this will make is a good question but the price is $2500, is that the same as before?

2. TechVP

TechVP Active Poster

Price sounds the same as Dec 2016 when my X order went in for late March delivery.

3. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

Yes that was the price before this. the high bitrate streaming I assume would refer to the streaming audio service, but I've never had a problem with the stream stuttering or falling out, so I don't see what the improvement would be.

4. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

Tesla advetises some new (to me) music benefits in the big screen message about connecting your car to Wi-fi (if not connected). Related?

5. AnxietyRanger

I wonder if the name change isn't an alignment with Model 3 option naming?

6. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

How does this work, since you aren't connected to wifi when driving? :confused:

And the name may be what the 3's option will be called. I conjectured elsewhere it's to get rid of anyone complaining that it's high fidelity or not. 'Premium', like 'Rich' and the like, are marketing buzzwords and don't mean anything quantifiable.

7. AnxietyRanger

#7 AnxietyRanger, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Well, that's a good question. They talk about caching.

Here is the text. Mind you, this is not "Premium Audio" but a Q1/2017 built Model X with Ultra High Fidelity Sound (UHFS):

"Add a Wi-Fi Connection

Please provide a home or work Wi-Fi connection to enable compelling future functionality. By downloading and caching content over Wi-Fi, we will make music and other features more engaging and more robust.

Wi-Fi also enables more timely delivery of future software updates. Navigation map updates are available only over Wi-Fi."

model_x_set_up_wi-fi.jpg

Agreed, this is most likely a name change only. Though a change of some smaller component seems possible too.

p.s. I posted this question on the Model S forum as well for info: Future in-car services and music caching through Wi-Fi?

8. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Right, all that makes sense.,.. the other post sounded like you only got the bit-rate if you connected to wifi.. :confused:. Looks now like they just blurbed the two together in the same 'release note' or doc note. 'Connect to wifi in general and, oh yeah, you get high bit-rate blah blah'.

• Like x 1
  9. Lysol

Lysol Member

FYI, streaming over bluetooth is extremely compressed (i.e. low quality).