Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ultra hi-fi sound change to Premium Sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found out that Tesla have change the upgraded sound package wish now includes "High bitrate streaming capability". Exactly what difference this will make is a good question but the price is $2500, is that the same as before?

Found out that Tesla have change the upgraded sound package wish now includes "High bitrate streaming capability". Exactly what difference this will make is a good question but the price is $2500, is that the same as before?
Yes that was the price before this. the high bitrate streaming I assume would refer to the streaming audio service, but I've never had a problem with the stream stuttering or falling out, so I don't see what the improvement would be.

Tesla advetises some new (to me) music benefits in the big screen message about connecting your car to Wi-fi (if not connected). Related?
How does this work, since you aren't connected to wifi when driving? :confused:

And the name may be what the 3's option will be called. I conjectured elsewhere it's to get rid of anyone complaining that it's high fidelity or not. 'Premium', like 'Rich' and the like, are marketing buzzwords and don't mean anything quantifiable.

How does this work, since you aren't connected to wifi when driving? :confused:

Well, that's a good question. They talk about caching.

Here is the text. Mind you, this is not "Premium Audio" but a Q1/2017 built Model X with Ultra High Fidelity Sound (UHFS):

"Add a Wi-Fi Connection

Please provide a home or work Wi-Fi connection to enable compelling future functionality. By downloading and caching content over Wi-Fi, we will make music and other features more engaging and more robust.

Wi-Fi also enables more timely delivery of future software updates. Navigation map updates are available only over Wi-Fi."

model_x_set_up_wi-fi.jpg

And the name may be what the 3's option will be called. I conjectured elsewhere it's to get rid of anyone complaining that it's high fidelity or not. 'Premium', like 'Rich' and the like, are marketing buzzwords and don't mean anything quantifiable.

Agreed, this is most likely a name change only. Though a change of some smaller component seems possible too.

p.s. I posted this question on the Model S forum as well for info: Future in-car services and music caching through Wi-Fi?

Last edited: