TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Ultra HiFi sounds distant and thin?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by iqless, Apr 28, 2017.

1. iqless

iqless Member

I was wondering if I am alone in thinking this, or maybe there's something wrong with this specific car, but I've been driving a loaner with Ultra HiFi, and to me it sounds almost incredibly bad.

I can definitely hear the very strong bass, but everything sounds like it's coming from somewhere... else, and not centered on where I am. It all sounds like it's coming from the next room (an exaggeration but you get the idea) and that makes everything sound... thin? It also feels like it's coming from somewhere in front of me, but not 'at me', it's like I'm supposed to be situated somewhere else to feel the music as it was supposed to feel.

I've played with EQ/fade/dolby etc. and tried everything but can't get rid of the feeling!

I know there have been complaints about the ultra hifi, but people complain about car sound systems all the time as it's a very subjective thing, but I was wondering if this particular type of complaint was widespread for Tesla's premium sound. Or maybe something's wrong with this loaner.

I've had an Audi A6 and a Porsche Panamera before this, both with slightly upgraded Bose systems, and to me there isn't even a comparison, they sounded SO much better. Hell I think a regular Accord sounds better, because even though the quality of the sound coming out of the speakers might be lower, at least it's centered right and doesn't sound like it's been filtered out...

Thanks!

2. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

I would agree with your assessment 100%.

3. idealsol

idealsol Member

I've found UHFS does way better with my flac files on USB. Stuff like XM and slacker pale in comparison
    I thought the XM was better in a Genesis I had. Genesis sound in general was really good with the Lexicon 17 speaker setup

4. tomas

tomas Only partially psycho

There are many threads on this. It is very neutral and the sound stage is forward, both unusual in cars. It is also very sensitive to input. A flac file will sound great, and an MP3 or streaming not so great.

You cannot balance to the rear speakers. That will get you the other room effect.

Personally I love it, but I listen mainly to FLAC files on USB.

5. jdw

jdw Supporting Member

UHFS actually has a decent sound stage, which is unusual in a car - I personally love it (with a lossless source) but I can see that depending upon the genre & source of the music, as well as personal expectations that YMMV.

For the record, since they fixed the Dolby processing, I leave it on with a 2-3db bass boost. If you don’t like audio imaging or having a sound stage, you will really dislike the Dolby processing.

6. iqless

iqless Member

It's interesting that it's so sensitive to input. But I think the main problem that I have with it can't have too much to do with source, as it's more about positioning and less about the quality.

7. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

Source is always > system. My UHFS sounds good. Not as good as my 5 digit Range Rover sound system, but definitely good for a paltry $2500 which is peanuts in the world of automotive sound systems.

8. timvracer

timvracer Member

I found it to be the same as you describe in the OP. I upgraded my UHFS to a Reus system... between 4 and 5k. It made a huge difference, and I find myself often just going out and driving around just so I can immerse myself in the sound. Lossless (flac) sounds amazing (USB), and so does HD Radio and XM. Streaming sounds great as well compared to UHFS, but this system really brings HD music to life. Plain UHFS is very muddy to me, and the bass is located and out of character with the rest. The door speakers are actually fine (Still have them), biggest part of the upgrade is the new subwoofer/amp, tweeters, and the center tweeter/mid that plays from behind the mirror and onto the windshield and back at ya! Most important of all is the crossovers that ensure every sound has a home. The old UHFS subwoofer is still in play for low mids (again, with a very particular crossover system).

9. iqless

iqless Member

Today I've received my UHFS'less car. I'm going to say, and you guys will think this is because 'my' car doesn't have UHFS, but I swear to God to me it sounds better! It's surprisingly good, to the point that I am thinking of not getting the aftermarket subwoofer I was gonna get and save the $1,000+ on it.

10. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Exactly why i got the Light Harmonic AMP -- with FLAC files it works great..