Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ultra High Fidelity Sound: defect or operating as designed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new 90D Model S with the Ultra High Fidelity Sound (a rather optimistic name....but I digress) option.

I've never found Tesla's sound system particularly outstanding (I had the upgraded system in my previous 2013 MS), but I like XM, so got it.

Anyway, with my new car, I was playing around with the fade control and moved it all the way to the back and the rear speakers sounded truly horrible, like two tiny transistor radios. While I realize the system isn't designed to be used with the fader set this way, I'm wondering if there's something wrong with those speakers?

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed anything similar (realizing perception of sounds is inherently a subjective process)...

I have a new 90D Model S with the Ultra High Fidelity Sound (a rather optimistic name....but I digress) option.

I've never found Tesla's sound system particularly outstanding (I had the upgraded system in my previous 2013 MS), but I like XM, so got it.

Anyway, with my new car, I was playing around with the fade control and moved it all the way to the back and the rear speakers sounded truly horrible, like two tiny transistor radios. While I realize the system isn't designed to be used with the fader set this way, I'm wondering if there's something wrong with those speakers?

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed anything similar (realizing perception of sounds is inherently a subjective process)...
No I haven't. When I fade to the back the speakers sound fine. BTW, I didn't think the UHFS changed from your previous 2013 MS.

For quite a long time I had my faders set pretty far back. I don't remember the exact numbers, but somewhere over the rear seats in the little picture. It sounded best back there.

More recently they've made some changes that alterred the audio profile, so I'm more neutral than I was, but can still fade without the sound getting as bad as you describe. I think there's something wrong.

We should note that your best speakers are up front. The speakers in the liftgate, in particular, are puny. I'd fade to the back and stick your head up to all the speakers to make sure they're working, and that the sound coming out of them isn't distorted.

While there may be something wrong with your particular system, I had a similar experience at first and after much research and tinkering, I have found a set up that works for my ears. My findings:

- The sound stage is firmly anchored around the driver windshield-ish area. That was disturbing to me mostly because I wasn't expecting this.
- I faded stuff waaayyy back (-12) and it's better, for me at least
- As you've found out, the more you move "things" back there, the least bass you get...
- Turn Dolby off if you're not centered 0/0 when it's all said and done or things will sound worse.
- My default settings are -12/R4 to get to something that sounds right to me. I was at first disturbed that I had to set things that far off center, but after researching threads here, it's not that off after all.

I would be curious to hear (pun intended) what others have selected tone-wise...I am still playing with that a bit and not quiet happy yet: sounds great with classical music though, but Notorious B.I.G. doesn't sound so...big.

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond
The sub amp is based on the front speakers, when you fade to the back you will loose the lows but vocals and high notes should sound fine.
Is this true, or a change? My sub seems to fade as expected (all the way to the rear, sub is at full volume).

Being a small sub, a very large portion of the bass comes from the front speakers in the doors. Perhaps that is causing confusion?

Make sure you have the Dolby Surround option turned off. You want the sound stage up front and its only a stereo output. If you want higher quality, listen to a Reus system.
This was true until a recent software update fixed the Dolby Surround. I used to keep it turned off, because everything sounded duller and more muted with it on. Now the situation is reversed; it sounds better when switched on. (I'm on 2.34.100.)

For me, the sound image seems to be best when faded to the rear slightly; my current setting is at -4, which pulls it more into the center of the car and sounds good when sitting in the rear seats. Without any fade, it does sound as if the image is up front, above the dashboard.

zmUpL1h.jpg

For me, the sound image seems to be best when faded to the rear slightly; my current setting is at -4, which pulls it more into the center of the car and sounds good when sitting in the rear seats. Without any fade, it does sound as if the image is up front, above the dashboard

This is exactly my experience as well. Also, just not that impressed with the upgraded sound. Except for better bass in a narrow range (strangely non-linear fade from low to mid) it's no better than the stock sound system in my GTI.

This was true until a recent software update fixed the Dolby Surround. I used to keep it turned off, because everything sounded duller and more muted with it on. Now the situation is reversed; it sounds better when switched on. (I'm on 2.34.100.)

For me, the sound image seems to be best when faded to the rear slightly; my current setting is at -4, which pulls it more into the center of the car and sounds good when sitting in the rear seats. Without any fade, it does sound as if the image is up front, above the dashboard.

zmUpL1h.jpg
+1