Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ultra High Fidelity Sound, opinions from true audiophiles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a big time audio nut thats into 2 channel home audio. I have an acoustically treated dedicated listening room with some reference monitors, high end DAC, FLAC collection, equilateral triangle listening position, the entire works... Big time snob.

I ordered a CPO Model S that happens to come with the premium sound system, and I am wondering how it sounds. I normally don't even bother listening to music in the car as the road noise typically ruins the listening experience for me, and the acoustic environment in a car is terrible by design. The sound is coming from the floor, reflections everywhere, your not placed in the middle for equal stereo effect, 10 speakers fighting each other in a tiny area, making it a sloppy mess, etc...

Most reviews of the MS sound are very vague and seem to come from people who value excitement and a colorful sound signature vs. a nice, flat sound.

The vast majority of premium car audio systems I've heard are wildly bass heavy with screeching highs and subdued midrange. The Nissan Titan Rockford Fosgate system has to be the worst system I've ever heard. With EQ off and no sound enhancements, the bass was so sloppy that it was actually out of sync with the rest of the music, due to the massive backwaves in the cabin. The base model sound was much better. I find this to be the case with many premium car systems. The bass is just way overblown, to the point where the stock system is much flatter.

To give you an idea of my tastes, I like the sound of Etymotic IEM's, Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic DT880, K702, etc... Im not really into mainstream sound signature such as Beats, Bose, etc... I would rather have crappy recordings sound crappy, and good recordings sound good vs. every single track sounding "good", if you catch my drift. The sound system shouldn't be enhancing the music in any way...

So what does the MS premium sound like with the EQ off, no Dolby, FLAC files, etc??? Im looking for descriptions of soundstage, imaging, frequency response and tilt (compared to reference), timbre quality, detail, midrange accuracy, tightness of bass, distortion levels, etc...

The biggest issue is the time alignment and the lower end bass (below 60 Hz). Your best bet is an aftermarket DSP and a new Subwoofer (unplug the original sub) tuned at e.g 29 Hz. Sound quality of the front door speakers are good. Also, consider to unplug rear hatch speakers and move the fader to the front.

Reactions: ChadS
My brief assessment...

I am also a 2 channel enthusiast, including analogue and large electrostatic speakers. On the S, I prefer Dolby Off and the EQ tweaked a bit to my liking. There is no distortion at high volumes. From a car system that is labelled "ultra" HiFi don't expect a huge/open or airy soundstage like that of a dedicated listening room. The sound isn't harsh but isn't analogue HiFi warm. I haven't felt the need to upgrade the system in my S. Interestingly enough Spotify high quality bluetooth sounds decent relative to tracks from the thumb drive. Now Tesla supports DSD files...that would be cool.

Don't use streaming from slacker or your phone, but have FLACS on a USB drive for best results. At least until you realize the convenience of the integrated slacker stream outweighs the slight loss in sound quality.
Ha! I thought I was the only one. If there only was an option to select an artist from a USB stick and "play all" (not just a single album), I would be using my FLAC collection more.

IF you order a model S now with the Premium Upgrade Package, all it says about the hi fi is "custom audio system specifically tuned for a Tesla's ultra-quiet cabin"

So I don't know if this is the S1nn development or not.

Can anyone give more specifics what is currently offered?

IF you order a model S now with the Premium Upgrade Package, all it says about the hi fi is "custom audio system specifically tuned for a Tesla's ultra-quiet cabin"

So I don't know if this is the S1nn development or not.

Can anyone give more specifics what is currently offered?
What is being offered today is the exact same system found in all upgraded sound Model S's. It has been renamed a few times over the yrs "sound studio", "UHFS" etc , but the system is exactly the same one that was designed by S1nn linked above :
How Tesla developed the in-car audio system for the Model S saloon
Audio Systems for the Tesla Model S and Model X | TeslaTap

My brief assessment...

I am also a 2 channel enthusiast, including analogue and large electrostatic speakers. On the S, I prefer Dolby Off and the EQ tweaked a bit to my liking. There is no distortion at high volumes. From a car system that is labelled "ultra" HiFi don't expect a huge/open or airy soundstage like that of a dedicated listening room. The sound isn't harsh but isn't analogue HiFi warm. I haven't felt the need to upgrade the system in my S. Interestingly enough Spotify high quality bluetooth sounds decent relative to tracks from the thumb drive. Now Tesla supports DSD files...that would be cool.

I played DSD music files in my Model X with premium sound and was disappointed. Much higher quality sound from the $1,000 stereo system in my office.

I'm a big time audio nut thats into 2 channel home audio. I have an acoustically treated dedicated listening room with some reference monitors, high end DAC, FLAC collection, equilateral triangle listening position, the entire works... Big time snob.

I ordered a CPO Model S that happens to come with the premium sound system, and I am wondering how it sounds. I normally don't even bother listening to music in the car as the road noise typically ruins the listening experience for me, and the acoustic environment in a car is terrible by design. The sound is coming from the floor, reflections everywhere, your not placed in the middle for equal stereo effect, 10 speakers fighting each other in a tiny area, making it a sloppy mess, etc...

Most reviews of the MS sound are very vague and seem to come from people who value excitement and a colorful sound signature vs. a nice, flat sound.

The vast majority of premium car audio systems I've heard are wildly bass heavy with screeching highs and subdued midrange. The Nissan Titan Rockford Fosgate system has to be the worst system I've ever heard. With EQ off and no sound enhancements, the bass was so sloppy that it was actually out of sync with the rest of the music, due to the massive backwaves in the cabin. The base model sound was much better. I find this to be the case with many premium car systems. The bass is just way overblown, to the point where the stock system is much flatter.

To give you an idea of my tastes, I like the sound of Etymotic IEM's, Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic DT880, K702, etc... Im not really into mainstream sound signature such as Beats, Bose, etc... I would rather have crappy recordings sound crappy, and good recordings sound good vs. every single track sounding "good", if you catch my drift. The sound system shouldn't be enhancing the music in any way...

So what does the MS premium sound like with the EQ off, no Dolby, FLAC files, etc??? Im looking for descriptions of soundstage, imaging, frequency response and tilt (compared to reference), timbre quality, detail, midrange accuracy, tightness of bass, distortion levels, etc...
weak at best....If you were buying new i would invest the $$$for premium in aftermarket systems (Good ones start in the $3K-4K range based on your taste. The stock sound system supposedly has better signal input for an aftermarket system, still has rolloff at 50Hz presumably to protect the cheap ass speakers telsa uses (both premium and stock). To get an idea check this out

Electric Slide the Jesse Way - Tesla Model S 90D Build - AF, Mosconi, Morel, Illusion - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

I went to SIS and spent time with the owner, seriously comtemplating an upgrade (not this as its about 7K) from him.

Since you have the premium I would give it a chance, but know there are installers with good Tesla build experience out there. Teslas are hard to work on as there is a lot of dissassembly and power routing issues to deal with that dont exist with ICE cars. Good news is that the dreaded alternator whine will never be an issue!!!

• Informative
Reactions: All In
What is being offered today is the exact same system found in all upgraded sound Model S's. It has been renamed a few times over the yrs "sound studio", "UHFS" etc , but the system is exactly the same one that was designed by S1nn linked above :
How Tesla developed the in-car audio system for the Model S saloon
Audio Systems for the Tesla Model S and Model X | TeslaTap
As a relatively new MS owner and old-time HiFi nut, I appreciated these links to these articles.

Reactions: Muzzman1
Front speakers (midbass/midrange/tweeter): $800
Speaker adapters: $150
Main amp/DSP: $800
Sub+box: $600
Sub amp: $180
Sound damping material: $180
Amp Install / wiring: $700

That's around $3400 for retail prices. I did my own speaker install and sound damping labor, and I bought some of my speakers as open box and used. You can also save money on a less amp and speakers as well, and if you're willing to cut up your factory speakers, you can repurpose them as midbass adapters. Don't waste your money on rear speakers as they do very little for the sound. People almost universally say that sound damping is worth it. If you do it yourself, it definitely is, especially once you move into aftermarket speakers that can vibrate the doors.

• Informative
Reactions: All In
I'll throw in my experience with the ultra high fidelity upgrade. I just got a used 2013 model s with it and at home my setup is a krell integrated amp driving a pair of b&w 805s.

This is subjective obviously but it sounds... good. Bass actually exists, a bit flabby and a little boomy. Midrange is solid, highs are decent. The sound does sort of fall apart at higher volumes. Maybe they should have used an amp with some more oomph.

It's good enough that I don't feel like it's murdering my music and I'm not planning on upgrades anytime soon.

I'll throw in my experience with the ultra high fidelity upgrade. I just got a used 2013 model s with it and at home my setup is a krell integrated amp driving a pair of b&w 805s.

This is subjective obviously but it sounds... good. Bass actually exists, a bit flabby and a little boomy. Midrange is solid, highs are decent. The sound does sort of fall apart at higher volumes. Maybe they should have used an amp with some more oomph.

It's good enough that I don't feel like it's murdering my music and I'm not planning on upgrades anytime soon.
This is exactly my thoughts. Until... I upgraded to MCU2. Don't know what they did, but the decency of their premium sound system has seriously degraded since. I am making formal complaints to Tesla.