Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ultra High Fidelity Sound System, Reus, or something else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's another option to upgrade the UHFS, While you drive the world’s best electric vehicle, you should be listening to the world’s best stereo. BUT here's the deal:

It does not modify the car's wiring, for me this is a big deal. It's plug and play.

I actually have this system installed in my car. (I believe I am one of 2 people on the forums) I LOVE it. I'm thrilled. There's some serious caveats.
Here's a pretty lengthy thread about the system and the lagginess of the development.
Premium Audio System for Tesla Model S by Light Harmonic

They take FOREVER to ship. In fact, they have yet to ship a proper Sub driver to me. (supposed to be within this month) Most people have not received anything.
Even with the stock sub. The system is worth every penny I paid.
If you are in the Socal area, I'd be happy to give you a listen.

There's another option to upgrade the UHFS, While you drive the world’s best electric vehicle, you should be listening to the world’s best stereo. BUT here's the deal:

It does not modify the car's wiring, for me this is a big deal. It's plug and play.

I actually have this system installed in my car. (I believe I am one of 2 people on the forums) I LOVE it. I'm thrilled. There's some serious caveats.
Here's a pretty lengthy thread about the system and the lagginess of the development.
Premium Audio System for Tesla Model S by Light Harmonic

They take FOREVER to ship. In fact, they have yet to ship a proper Sub driver to me. (supposed to be within this month) Most people have not received anything.
Even with the stock sub. The system is worth every penny I paid.
If you are in the Socal area, I'd be happy to give you a listen.
Hi, @Muzzman1

I have been following your posts (and others) on another TMC Light Harmonic thread. You folks are way more knowledgeable and able than I am! I trust you will enjoy the rewards of your efforts to obtain and install the Light Harmonic equipment. But LH looks way too new and raw for me to be comfortable obtaining their gear and then finding someone to install it.

If I ever make it out to SoCal, though, I'll gladly take you up on that offer... wait, I just realized that I might be out there at the end of June...!

Hi, @Muzzman1

I have been following your posts (and others) on another TMC Light Harmonic thread. You folks are way more knowledgeable and able than I am! I trust you will enjoy the rewards of your efforts to obtain and install the Light Harmonic equipment. But LH looks way too new and raw for me to be comfortable obtaining their gear and then finding someone to install it.

If I ever make it out to SoCal, though, I'll gladly take you up on that offer... wait, I just realized that I might be out there at the end of June...!
Let me know!

I have the UHFS and love it. I am very picky about audio and have spent a lot of time perfecting home audio. I have 20k songs in my library all in lossless formats, many encoded from high resolution digital or quality analog sources. I put 128gb micro usb drives full of FLAC music in the two USB slots in the Tesla for music and charge my phone using a dual 2.1amp usb charger in the 12v outlet. There are certain tracks of high resolution audio (96/24) which really brings the UHFS to life. I don't think you can never get great imaging from a multiple speaker car system but these recordings have a great deal of realism that I found has caused me to sit in the driveway to finish listening to a song after I return home. The system seems really balanced but need good sources to realize its potential.

Is it just me but the basic sound system breaks in after about a year and starts finally sounding decent

I think that it is your ears that have broken in after a year... not the basic sound system which is anemic at best.. especially at the low end.

Not a day goes by that I don't appreciate the Reus upgrades on top of the base factory package. 17 months and 45,000 miles later. Reusifying the upgraded factory package gets you more midrange, as there's more to begin with.

I too purchased the Reus 2.5 upgrade about 8,000 miles ago and feel the same way.. not a day goes by when I don't say I wish I had done this earlier...

I will say that Cliff from Reus audio himself did say that in a perfect world he would rather have me upgrade from a Sound Studio/UHFS system to one of the Reus offerings. and I agonized over the UHFS option b/c I was hooked on XM Radio.. but $2500 was way, way too much $$$ for such an anemic system.

That, and the service experience from Reus (Thanks Cliff, Thanks Kyle) has been world class. The most consistent and solid service of the entire Tesla experience, actually.

yes it was a very professional, very clean install. Cliff is a bit chatty, but you can tell he loves his work which is the most important thing...

Distortion-free, accurate sound. Can't beat it for the $4K or so that the Level 3 parts and pieces cost. In fact, given the customization to the space that Reus has refined, I doubt a $20K system would be appreciably better. Louder, maybe, but it ain't about loud. It's about good/great/phenomenal.

I think Reus 2.5 is the happy medium here. in my next Model S i may splurge for the 3.0 edition, but at some point it basically becomes about Wattage. my ears are ringing from the 2.5.. but i'm super happy.

Reactions: TaoJones
I have the UHFS and love it. I am very picky about audio and have spent a lot of time perfecting home audio. I have 20k songs in my library all in lossless formats, many encoded from high resolution digital or quality analog sources. I put 128gb micro usb drives full of FLAC music in the two USB slots in the Tesla for music and charge my phone using a dual 2.1amp usb charger in the 12v outlet. There are certain tracks of high resolution audio (96/24) which really brings the UHFS to life. I don't think you can never get great imaging from a multiple speaker car system but these recordings have a great deal of realism that I found has caused me to sit in the driveway to finish listening to a song after I return home. The system seems really balanced but need good sources to realize its potential.

I realize that you are not the only one to have made this point but wish to specifically acknowledge it here. The source and the quality of the source matter a great deal. And I am not attending to that crucial detail. Instead, I am settling largely for Slacker-supplied tracks.

So maybe I'm wasting my money with Reus, or Light Harmonic, or maybe even UHFS! Unless I'm willing to step up the effort I'm putting into supplying the music for the system.

Huh. Suddenly feeling even stupider than normal.

Thanks,
Alan

P.S. Similar point made by @bhzmark - thank you.

IMO the UHFS for $2500 as an option for MS is over priced for what you would get in it. It is a sub really and an AMP to power that sub. They should have the XM/SIRUIS radio as a separate option as some would want to get that, but due to price point and forced to get a sound system sub par is limiting it.

I had a loaner S85 and my 70D side by side, granted the bass and treble meter goes higher, but sound wise, I can't significantly tell the diff for the price point. $1000.00 would be more reasonable.

@smilepak,

That's probably the key: side-by-side testing. Everyone's taste is a bit different, and I've also been told that people can't clearly remember audio quality for more than a few seconds; so the most important test is the side-by-side test by the person who is actually going to be using the equipment.

Maybe I should switch gears and start looking for two willing owners -- maybe 3! -- one with a Reus system, one with UHFS, and one with the Tesla base audio. The Light Harmonic stuff sounds very cool but I think is beyond my grasp.

Thanks,
Alan