Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ultra High Fidelity Sound - turn up sub-woofer volume?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure you can increase the volume of the sub-woofer in the Ultra High Fidelity Sound package. Just select the graphic equalizer option which lets you change the bass, mid and treble frequencies of the sound system. So, if you want more base, just increase the bass only. Like magic you have what you want up to an increase of 12 decibels.

I personally keep the mid frequency at zero or -2 db. Then I increase both bass and treble gains to +10 or +12 db. Sounds great.

Cheers

Sure you can increase the volume of the sub-woofer in the Ultra High Fidelity Sound package. Just select the graphic equalizer option which lets you change the bass, mid and treble frequencies of the sound system. So, if you want more base, just increase the bass only. Like magic you have what you want up to an increase of 12 decibels.

I personally keep the mid frequency at zero or -2 db. Then I increase both bass and treble gains to +10 or +12 db. Sounds great.

Cheers
You mean like post #2? But it's not increasing volume just EQ.

Yes. Increasing the bass in the equalizer is like putting a 12 db amplifier in line. That is a huge amount of increase. Try it. It works. The equalizer is doing what you are asking for. For the same volume, you would be increasing the volume of the bass by the amount you increase in the equalizer.

By the way, I am a retired Broadcast Engineer with over 30 years experience in audio.

Cheers

Yes. Increasing the bass in the equalizer is like putting a 12 db amplifier in line. That is a huge amount of increase. Try it. It works. The equalizer is doing what you are asking for. For the same volume, you would be increasing the volume of the bass by the amount you increase in the equalizer.

By the way, I am a retired Broadcast Engineer with over 30 years experience in audio.

Cheers
I trust your expertise on this but to my ear I just hear more bass when I do that however the bass doesn't sound louder. I'll play with it some more and experiment. More to come...

I just hear more bass when I do that however the bass doesn't sound louder.

You do have the additional option to reduce the mid and treble frequencies in the graphic equalizer too. You also can increase the volume control too. Play with those.

Then after you are done playing and know how it sounds, then return the graphic equalizer controls all back to zero and compare it again. Keep on experimenting always returning to the equalizer controls back to zero. That back and forth comparison will help you understand better what your ears are hearing.

Hope that helps further.

Cheers

Cheers
at high volumes I hear static if my treble is positive, I have to keep it negative.

That static noise is possibly coming from your smartphone. I suggest you lower the volume of the smartphone while increasing the volume of the cars internal audio system. There is a good chance you will be able to return the treble back to normal or even above the zero line.

This is with aiff in a USB, I think I also tested with slacker but I don't recall. The volume must be at or higher than 9

Just to be sure: Ensure that dolby surround is OFF for the maximum bass. For whatever reason, Dolby mode absolutely decimates subwoofer response. This improved slightly on the 2.28.xx firmware update that's trickling out, but it's still noticeably less bassy in surround mode vs regular mode.

at high volumes I hear static if my treble is positive, I have to keep it negative.
My EQ is +3 bass 0 mid -3 treble. I personally feel the treble is a bit too bright in the UHFS package so that's why I reduce the treble. I can totally understand hearing issues if you increase the treble especially to the extreme of +12, but my ears are still good after 15 years as a professional sound mixer in LA.

I recommend taking a song you are very familiar with and EQing that track to sound the way it "should" to your ears. Stay away from extremes on the EQ and you should be fine. Hopefully the EQ you find that works for the song you picked will translate to the rest of your music collection.

Reactions: Alex D
My EQ is +3 bass 0 mid -3 treble. I personally feel the treble is a bit too bright in the UHFS package so that's why I reduce the treble. I can totally understand hearing issues if you increase the treble especially to the extreme of +12, but my ears are still good after 15 years as a professional sound mixer in LA.

I recommend taking a song you are very familiar with and EQing that track to sound the way it "should" to your ears. Stay away from extremes on the EQ and you should be fine. Hopefully the EQ you find that works for the song you picked will translate to the rest of your music collection.

Thanks I'm at 0 -4 -3 Dolby off and fade balance -2 -2