Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ultra high fidelity sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We played FLAC files from a USB stick on the three hour drive home yesterday at 7 and 8. Best audio in a car I have ever experienced. But my experience is limited. Did not regret the purchase.

My only issue is that I have not embedded the album image in my music files. I just have a folder.jpg in each album folder. The images showed up when listing the albums, but not during track playback. Need to do some investigation on this.
That was my feeling when we listened to the music on the test drive at the reveal, your issue with the images is something I have never experienced. If I do not have them when I scroll thru the albums then I do not have them when playing, I downloaded from my CD's on my iMac thru iTunes and converted to flac and then transferred to the USB stick.

Just ripping direct from CD as FLAC without compression is pretty good. If you want to go 24 bit, 192 hz then:

Homepage | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for that pointer to HDTracks! I've never heard of them before! I tried their sampler (don't make the mistake I did and have it download as AIF, that just comes through as plain white noise in the Tesla) switched it to FLAC and based on what I heard from the sampler, I just downloaded some of my favorite albums and Mozart's Requiem (one of my favorites, and seeing as it's Good Friday...).

On second thought, WHY, WHY, WHY did you point to HDTracks? You just cost me a couple hundred bucks!

LOL.

Awesome sound!

Reactions: vangogh
So as I found from other people and threads Tesla does not use any image info from the files or folders. They look at the meta data and download the images once you put in your stick. It can take some time (overnight in my case) for them to show up.

All is working OK for me now.

My next quest it to see if I can get the USB named to something different than USB1. Not very elegant.

Strange question, but what could I visually look for to confirm that my P90 actually has the upgraded sound system? I ordered it, stuff generally sounds good, but, yeah, I legit don't know what to look for as a visual confirmation. (I took delivery this morning). Slipped my mind to ask the DS while I was there.

If you have SiriusXM as an option on your screen, then it's the premium sound system (you still have to subscribe so Sirius to get the channels, but only the upgraded system has the Sirius system built in and shows up in the menu)

image.jpeg
Strange question, but what could I visually look for to confirm that my P90 actually has the upgraded sound system? I ordered it, stuff generally sounds good, but, yeah, I legit don't know what to look for as a visual confirmation. (I took delivery this morning). Slipped my mind to ask the DS while I was there.

Look in the trunk, right side, if you have the empty space filled you have the sub and then upgraded sound.

I was going with standard sound to begin. But after test drive the X, I opt for premium due to loud highway noise. Maybe the test drive X was a earlier built, but I don't really want to take my chance on this. I believe there is a major difference between the standard vs upgrade which I tested a standard on S and optional on X.

Has there been any more discussion on this? I am completely torn between the standard and UHFS on the Model X I'm ordering. I do like good audio (not an audiophile per se) but if I'm streaming high quality audio over bluetooth, how good is the Digital-to-Analog conversion in the Tesla actually going to be? Did they put in a respectable DA converter or is it as low-end as on the iPhone?

How good can the standard system really be given it lacks a subwoofer?

Assume I'm not the type of person who wants to deal with aftermarket, I'm trying to figure out whether the upgrade takes me from "good" to "really really good - not necessarily great" or from "meh" to "really really good"..

I found this article online:
Audio Systems for the Tesla Model S and Model X | TeslaTap