Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ultra-Quiet cabin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The premium package lists "ultra-quiet cabin" under description for sound package.
Is this new?

ultraquiet.png

Last edited by a moderator:
While that particular text may or may not be new - and certainly added sound-proofing could be in the works at Tesla, who knows - I seem to recall similar sentiment in the old upgraded audio wordings. I.e. that the audio system is tuned to the quiet electric drive (vs. a noisy ICE).

Something similar was there before about "studio quality." This is not a reference to added sound proofing by picking that option but rather, as @Derek Kessler stated, merely referencing the supposedly very quiet cabin of a Tesla vehicle. As others have stated, the ultra hi fi package is better than stock but not as good as many other sound systems for a similar or much cheaper price.

IMHO, Tesla could (and should) do much better in noise reduction. It should be a built-in competitive weapon -- not an option. It should be a wow factor at speeds other than zero mph.

I'm on my second Model S (currently a refreshed 2016 75D with AP1). The suspension is noisy a low speeds on moderately rough roads; it has a super-irritating high-pitched motor whine at 50 mph; and it is not especially quiet at freeway speeds. My 2017 Volt has neither of the first two issues and is about the same on the freeway.

Yes, after two trips to the SD service center, all three continue to be declared 'normal.'

While that particular text may or may not be new - and certainly added sound-proofing could be in the works at Tesla, who knows - I seem to recall similar sentiment in the old upgraded audio wordings. I.e. that the audio system is tuned to the quiet electric drive (vs. a noisy ICE).
LOL tuning meaning there's little to no sound deadening because electric is so quiet making it "unnecessary." ;-)

Yea this is an area I've been very disappointed with Tesla. Sound deadening materials are really cheap and for Tesla to skimp on this stuff is just stupid. They have an opportunity to really make this car super quiet and blow people away. Rough roads are terrible and highway speeds are a joke. If you're riding around on smooth pavement below 50MPH it's not too bad, but c'mon for a vehicle this price and the fact that they emphasize the quietness as a selling point, it should be much much better. This is a cheap, low-hanging fruit item that should've been on the "just do" list months if not years ago

Reactions: croman
IMHO, Tesla could (and should) do much better in noise reduction. It should be a built-in competitive weapon -- not an option. It should be a wow factor at speeds other than zero mph.

I'm on my second Model S (currently a refreshed 2016 75D with AP1). The suspension is noisy a low speeds on moderately rough roads; it has a super-irritating high-pitched motor whine at 50 mph; and it is not especially quiet at freeway speeds. My 2017 Volt has neither of the first two issues and is about the same on the freeway.

Yes, after two trips to the SD service center, all three continue to be declared 'normal.'

A company can't be best at everything. It surely takes time and experience to reach the best noise levels. Musk's goals and management style have employees running around with their hair on fire.

If the sound has improved I would expect active noise cancellation. I do see how Tesla could not be pursuing using this tech. But I said that about HUD too.

No need for active noise cancelling because that just increases the sound floor. Its a gimmick. Put more insulation in there, it will drop the noise floor and allow for real relaxation. There is room, based on DIY dynamat installations, all over the driver floor and the trunk. A factory install would be cleaner and longer lasting. Tesla can sell cars as is though and that's all they care about.

No need for active noise cancelling because that just increases the sound floor. Its a gimmick. Put more insulation in there, it will drop the noise floor and allow for real relaxation. There is room, based on DIY dynamat installations, all over the driver floor and the trunk. A factory install would be cleaner and longer lasting. Tesla can sell cars as is though and that's all they care about.
Agree 100% on all. Active noise cancelling is a gimmick. Put more sound deadening in there and fix the root of the problem. Don't band-aid over it.

Reactions: croman