Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ultra white premium seats stain resistant coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering the ultra white seats in the unlikely event that they are available when I am asked to configure. ive watched several videos praising their stain resistance. one video showed removing stubborn stains like makeup with a magic eraser. My question is if the stain resistance on the white seats is a coating? if so, the magic eraser would likely obliterate the coating. Is that coating something you could re apply? I really dig the white seat option, I just am looking to understand the long term durability prospects of owning them!

Reactions: Robert831
I've asked a few times and people generally say the white is resistant to getting dirty. In reality, every time I visit a showroom (which gets more traffic to be fair), I feel that the white begins to look more porous with tinges of color (can be blue from jeans/regular dark spots).

I'm still conflicted about this but I am at least considering black seats now.

I think the original post was about the new ultra white vegan leather. Not the same seats as in the video images. I had a loaner with them and they seemed fantastic. They seemed very stain resistant (I had the car for 1,200 miles). I'm also thinking about getting them on my next car.

Attachments

• IMG_1561.JPG
    IMG_1561.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 268
It seems ever time white seats gets brought up, the same video of the failing white perforated seats gets linked.
Tesla discontinued the perforated seats due to durability issues, they didn't just discontinue the white perf seats, they discontinued all colors of perf seats.
Tesla in fact recommends the Ultra White as their most stain resistant color. See the linked "Ultra White Seats" post for additional data points.

I've asked a few times and people generally say the white is resistant to getting dirty. In reality, every time I visit a showroom (which gets more traffic to be fair), I feel that the white begins to look more porous with tinges of color (can be blue from jeans/regular dark spots).

I'm still conflicted about this but I am at least considering black seats now.
And how many people do you think get in and out of the cars in the showroom on a daily basis? I would hope the employees in the showroom would clean the seats regularly, but I'm sure they don't. I wouldn't base my opinion on what they look like in the showroom. There are a few anomalies especially with the perforated version, but overwhelming majority of the people with the white seats love them and have no issues with staining.

It seems ever time white seats gets brought up, the same video of the failing white perforated seats gets linked.

That's because it's the only video out there that shows use after an extended period of time. Pouring ketchup on new seats and wiping it up immediately isn't helpful. It's not realistic use. There's basically one "data point" out there in terms of video.

Tesla, being the seller of the car, is only going to say stuff to make themselves look good. It's marketing. Plus, they've known to say good or bad things depending on which way they want to influence things. Basically, people are looking for an independent source to verify Tesla's claim. But, with the white seats being so new and there not being all that many examples out in the wild (the S/X is still a relatively rare car compared to other mass market vehicles and how many of those relatively few owners bother to post YouTube videos), there just isn't much evidence out there.

That's because it's the only video out there that shows use after an extended period of time. Pouring ketchup on new seats and wiping it up immediately isn't helpful. It's not realistic use. There's basically one "data point" out there in terms of video.

Tesla, being the seller of the car, is only going to say stuff to make themselves look good. It's marketing. Plus, they've known to say good or bad things depending on which way they want to influence things. Basically, people are looking for an independent source to verify Tesla's claim. But, with the white seats being so new and there not being all that many examples out in the wild (the S/X is still a relatively rare car compared to other mass market vehicles and how many of those relatively few owners bother to post YouTube videos), there just isn't much evidence out there.

But it's a video about totally different seats, and ones that Tesla decided to discontinue at that! The fact that people can't find a single video showing any staining on the current vegan all white seats should say something.

Regardless of stain resistance, I need to take into account my OCD. Even if they are more durable, it still won't stop me from freaking out anytime someone brings a cup of coffee or puts on makeup in my car. That is the main reason why I'm not getting white. Like wearing a white t-shirt, I'm sure it'll be fine, but I'm a neurotic mess the entire time :D

• Funny
Reactions: Runt8 and lirandy
Regardless of stain resistance, I need to take into account my OCD. Even if they are more durable, it still won't stop me from freaking out anytime someone brings a cup of coffee or puts on makeup in my car. That is the main reason why I'm not getting white. Like wearing a white t-shirt, I'm sure it'll be fine, but I'm a neurotic mess the entire time :D

I guess I will freak out anytime I bring my kids into the car also......

I have UW seats in my X. They seem to be pretty resistant to stains. I used vinyl cleaner to wipe off some dirt and smears that my kids left on their seats and they cleaned up really well. We haven't really put any hard stains on them yet though.

I have UW seats in my X. They seem to be pretty resistant to stains. I used vinyl cleaner to wipe off some dirt and smears that my kids left on their seats and they cleaned up really well. We haven't really put any hard stains on them yet though.
Thanks...this sounds very encouraging for a couple of empty nesters...my choices are 1) Tan/Saddle, 2) White, 3) some other car....

I wear jeans almost every single day. Like 95% of the time. My jeans are also very dark blue. After 3 months with UW seats in my Model S, they have yet to be needed to be cleaned. They still look brand new and, well, ultra white. I have a pack of baby wipes in the trunk in case I do get a stain, but I am yet to see any jean transfer. My wife’s SUV which has traditional tan leather seats need cleaning every month - you can see the blue tint from the jeans. But those same jeans she wears have yet to transfer onto my S’s UW seats even a little bit. Amazing.

Additionally I gave rides to 40+ people last weekend at a local National Drive Electric Week event - including multiple kids and even hosted a car seat and an infant. Even after 40+ people in all the seats (back was usually 2 or 3 people every lap), the seats didn’t have a single stain. 3 months in, still yet to clean them. I suspect based on what I’ve heard, a quick wipe with the baby wipes will take care of any/most stains.

Regarding the OP’s question...I have no idea if it’s a “coating” or an inherent property of the material itself. Allegedly it’s a material called “Ultra fabric” - you might research that company’s materials to see if you can find your answer. You could always ask Tesla - though not sure if the average Tesla employee would know.