Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i'm glad Tesla is replacing this seat, because it looks like a defect to me. The ultra white is very supple and soft which is a bad combination when trying to stitch a seam like that.

They need to overlap and seam from the underside and not right at the edge.
... and add in the perforated seats as a complicating factor. I LOVE the ultra white, but I do wish the rear seats were not perforated, since there is no ventilation.

Reactions: Ormond
I have a ultra white seats in my MX. Only been driving the car for a little under a week. So far so good but I am concerned about discoloration. Equally worrisome, the seats are super soft. Much softer than my wife's black leather seats on her MX. It will be interesting to see how well the softer white seats hold up over time...

Hi DarrinR,
We are getting a Model X, and are torn between black leather and the ultra white. Since you have both in your family, can you give an update now as to how both are holding up? Wear, wrinkles, discoloration ...? Which would you recommend? Thanks!

Hi DarrinR,
We are getting a Model X, and are torn between black leather and the ultra white. Since you have both in your family, can you give an update now as to how both are holding up? Wear, wrinkles, discoloration ...? Which would you recommend? Thanks!
I have white seats, non-PUP (not perforated). Had the car 4 months and they are holding up well. Getting some discoloration on the cloth parts between seats and some grime on the plastic around seat belts same as @ohmman reported above. My seat (driver) got dirty, think turning light gray, and even a little blue from the jeans, similar to what Bjorn was showing no one of his X videos. I simply wiped them down with one of those moist Armorall wipes and it's back to Iike new condition. Only stitching stayed darker, and the cloth parts. So now I have a "contrast stitching" feature on my seat ;)

3 kids didn't do nearly as much damage to the 2nd row seats :cool: those are still looking great!

I LOVE the white seats, they really add to the futuristic look of the interior and brighten up the cabin. Plus, they keep the cabin cooler in the summer vs. black seats in my previous non-Tesla car. The synthetic material is soft and supple, and resists wrinkles etc. Everyone thinks it's leather and are very surprised to hear that it's not :p

Hope this helps.

Reactions: pilotSteve

This only applies for work you are paying to have done. Not warranty work. In most cases a manufacturer will want the old parts back to get credit from suppliers or to diagnose the cause. With franchised dealers they make the dealers hold all warranty parts until a manufactuer's rep comes in and spot checks to make sure there is no "scamming" going on by the dealer. They occasionally will have some parts sent back but most of them are discarded after inspection by the manufacturer's rep. Not sure if Tesla does the same way being they do not have franchised dealers but I assure you that you are not entitled to keep parts replaced under warranty. That law was created to prevent a shop from telling you that you needed a new power steering pump (for example) when you really only needed a belt tightened/replaced or fluid added and profiting from their fraudulent diagnosis. You getting the old part back makes sure that 1: they replaced it, and 2: you could have the old part checked with a third party to make sure it was actually bad.

This only applies for work you are paying to have done. Not warranty work. In most cases a manufacturer will want the old parts back to get credit from suppliers or to diagnose the cause. With franchised dealers they make the dealers hold all warranty parts until a manufactuer's rep comes in and spot checks to make sure there is no "scamming" going on by the dealer. They occasionally will have some parts sent back but most of them are discarded after inspection by the manufacturer's rep. Not sure if Tesla does the same way being they do not have franchised dealers but I assure you that you are not entitled to keep parts replaced under warranty. That law was created to prevent a shop from telling you that you needed a new power steering pump (for example) when you really only needed a belt tightened/replaced or fluid added and profiting from their fraudulent diagnosis. You getting the old part back makes sure that 1: they replaced it, and 2: you could have the old part checked with a third party to make sure it was actually bad.

Thank you for clarifying, makes sense!

My design is locked with the white seats, but I have lately been second guessing my choice. They seem to hold up well for now, but I worry about 3-4 years down the road.

As I see It I have two options

1. Change it to black leather as my DS said she could do if I really regretted my choice
2. Maybe ask for non perforated seats even if I got the upgraded interior, kinda like the looks better on non perforated.

I think of resellvalue too as I usually keep my cars for two-three years. Might be a smaller market of buyers for white, while black is always a safe choice.

Help?

My design is locked with the white seats, but I have lately been second guessing my choice. They seem to hold up well for now, but I worry about 3-4 years down the road.

1. Change it to black leather as my DS said she could do if I really regretted my choice
2. Maybe ask for non perforated seats even if I got the upgraded interior, kinda like the looks better on non perforated.

I think of resellvalue too as I usually keep my cars for two-three years. Might be a smaller market of buyers for white, while black is always a safe choice.

Help?
I have black normal leather seats. But had a chance to try white perf seats on an MX loaner- they were softer and looked fantastic. I would definitely get the ultra white.

Reactions: pilotSteve

Help?

I have ultra white and black seats. Both non perforated. Do the white non-perf... In one word, Marshmallow.

thanx for your answers, here are two new questions :)

1. Are the back seats perforated, or is it just the front seats in the upgraded interior version?
2. Reviews of the ventilation is quite bad but they are early deliveries, any upgrades or changes to the quality of later cars?

1. Are the back seats perforated, or is it just the front seats in the upgraded interior version?
2. Reviews of the ventilation is quite bad but they are early deliveries, any upgrades or changes to the quality of later cars?

I believe all seats are perforated to retain consistency through cabin.

Don't know about ventilation as I don't have it.

Do you have kids? Will they respect the seats? The anti strain properties are very good. I've had a ballpen mark come off of it but creases over time show as my seats already have them.

The black seats are definitely stiffer and I don't like riding in it as much. The leather paneling on the door sides feel more plush with the white as the black feels like vinyl almost. The two tone appearance on doors are nice as well.

You just have to be more careful with the white and accept that blemishes will be seen more. As far as resale is concerned, Imo a white interior in good condition will sell better than a black interior of same condition whereas a white in bad condition will fare worse than a similar condition black. It just depends on how good/bad the white seats are.

Either color, don't sit on edges of the seat as you will make creases.

Last edited:

The back seats are also perforated.

Personally, I think the ventilation is fine, so long as you don't expect to be sitting on an air hockey table. The fans draw air (and humidity) in through the seats. I can feel the difference in both front seats on my 2k range VIN, and I've had confirmation from other passengers that they feel it as well.

The back seats are also perforated.

Personally, I think the ventilation is fine, so long as you don't expect to be sitting on an air hockey table. The fans draw air (and humidity) in through the seats. I can feel the difference in both front seats on my 2k range VIN, and I've had confirmation from other passengers that they feel it as well.
I still have trouble "sensing" the ventilation in the seats, it's that subtle. I may have to Macgyver these seats and reverse the polarity to see if I can get the air to be pushed out of the seats. Of course, I'll run it through a switch so that I can control the direction of air flow. ;)

I still have trouble "sensing" the ventilation in the seats, it's that subtle. I may have to Macgyver these seats and reverse the polarity to see if I can get the air to be pushed out of the seats. Of course, I'll run it through a switch so that I can control the direction of air flow. ;)
Could you also please see if it's possible to MacGyver the ambient lighting strips in doors in non-PUP Xs? They appear to be there but likely not wired. Pretty please? Saw this in another thread and would be a cool "hack"

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Diavel
Could you also please see if it's possible to MacGyver the ambient lighting strips in doors in non-PUP Xs? They appear to be there but likely not wired. Pretty please? Saw this in another thread and would be a cool "hack"
I wonder if it is easier to software hack the ambient lights or to hardware hack them. I think if it could be done in software, it would be a cleaner and more seamless hack because algorithms would control them to turn on at the desired times. Maybe George Hotz could work on this now that comma ai is going open-source.:rolleyes:

You would think Tesla would allow customers to upgrade packages after purchase. Say for example at the yearly maintenance check-up, the tech comes to you and says, would you want 90% of the PUP features for $4000-$5000? If yes, he then installs the Hepa filter and turns on all software flags to give you BioWeapons Defense mode, ambient lighting, self-presenting driver's door, LED turning lights, Fog Lights, phone dock, etc.

It could be another revenue stream for Tesla. Just saying...

Reactions: Kacey Green
  • Rear seats are, indeed, the same perforated appearance,
  • but rear seats are not ventilated.
  • The ventilation, eve on the front seats, is hella weedy — but that's widely documented elsehwere in this thread and on these forums.
  • The white material really is quite impervious. I don't have kids, but I do have dirty dogs, and a dirty me — I've abused the hell out of mine, and literally anything I've thrown at them has wiped off in a heartbeat. (I'd suggest stopping by Target and picking up a random “leather-wipe” product — keep a tube of them in the car, wipe the seats down once a week or so, especially the driver's / heavy-use seats — use the same product)
Frankly, if I could choose again, I would not buy the Premium Upgrades Package. All of the doors are still magical without it — the only feature it actually adds, is that the driver's (and only the driver's) door will open itself when you approach¹ … and frankly, outside a showroom setting, it's extremely finicky. I leave it enabled, but I almost always end up just catching the door after it pops, with my hand, and opening it the rest of the way. I hate standing there like an idiot, wondering if it's going to ‘realize’ that I'm standing behind the door, ready for it to open all the way.

The perforations, although so far I've had an easy time keeping the seats clean, worry me — I just can't help but think dirt is slowly going to work itself into those holes, over the years. The white synthetic, I totally believe will stay clean for a decade+ … but not those holes.

I'd even go as far as to say I think the white synthetic looks a little better without the perforations.

1. (Also, I'm really terrified of it eventually clotheslining some poor biker, here in Chicago. The bike-lanes often hug the parking-lanes really closely, and I just know I'm going to forget to intentionally approach the car from the front, one of these days, and it's gonna pop open all the way, and right into some biker's face. )'=

I leave it enabled, but I almost always end up just catching the door after it pops, with my hand, and opening it the rest of the way. I hate standing there like an idiot, wondering if it's going to ‘realize’ that I'm standing behind the door, ready for it to open all the way.
I know it was much maligned when it was introduced, but I had requested to Tesla to introduce the double-tap-fob unlock and open driver's door. In lieu of the auto-present, I use that and I find that it's useful and much more predictable. Lower risk of dooring a cyclist as well.

I used the fob to open the door for the first few months I had my Model X, but since version 8 I've been using the auto presenting door and it has worked flawlessly every time. The only quirk is if you approach the car from the front the door only opens a crack. This is by design to allow you room to get around the door, but it does it even if the space is empty next to you.

Help?
I have had perforated white seats for four years now in my S85. How? It was an option for Signature cars only. Over the past 4 years and 40,000 miles the seats have held up very well. I have used a cleaning cloth twice in all that time I think and they are bright, shiny and no problem with debris in the perforations.

In fact, it was the recent and unexpected availability of the new Premium White Perforated (and ventilated) seats that pushed me over the edge to buy an S90D (red) with the white seats to replace my dear 2012 Sig 85.

I think you will be very pleased, I certainly have been. Received many compliments and "oh wow" when people check out the car.

Attachments

• Interior Back seat.jpg
    Interior Back seat.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 201
  • Funny
Reactions: dragonxt