Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ultrasonic sensor - no obstruction message and I hit something

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the user manual:
"Park Assist may not function correctly in these situations:
The object is thin (such as a sign post)."

This is a known limitation of USS, so this is expected behavior even with the sensor functioning perfectly as designed.

That's why it's just an assistive feature, you aren't supposed to use them while you are completely blind to what you are backing into.

USS are optimized for detecting large and relatively flat objects. For example when you are backing up or putting up into a wall, it gives you a good indication of the distance. Or for example for judging distance to other cars during parallel parking. However don't rely on it to detect other smaller and narrow objects, that's what the back up camera is for.
so according to what you said tesla has put a pole that can pose a problem next to their super charger? because it's good that I had my impact! lol! and I know the manual! the purpose of my post is mainly to tell everyone to be careful in this circumstance and in this version that the sensor does not work correctly

From the user manual:
"Park Assist may not function correctly in these situations:
The object is thin (such as a sign post)."

This is a known limitation of USS, so this is expected behavior even with the sensor functioning perfectly as designed.

That's why it's just an assistive feature, you aren't supposed to use them while you are completely blind to what you are backing into.

USS are optimized for detecting large and relatively flat objects. For example when you are backing up or pulling up into a wall, it gives you a good indication of the distance. Or for example for judging distance to other cars during parallel parking. However don't rely on it to detect other smaller and narrow objects, that's what the back up camera is for.
so according to what you said tesla has put a pole that can pose a problem next to their super charger? because it's good that I had my impact! lol! and I know the manual! the purpose of my post is mainly to tell everyone to be careful in this circumstance and in this version that the sensor does not work correctly

so if I understand you correctly, you never listen to your sensor? because he can always give you false information and you can never trust him? so excuse me but where is the help in there???
I'm kind of a retro-grouch so yes, I never listen to the sensors. I do not trust any car to tell me how close I am to something.

I have a tight garage and I only trust my eyes. I even have a hard time relying on the back up camera, I would rather just look.

Il a raison. Et oui, si c'est un grand mur, oui, vous recevrez un avertissement s'ils sont obstrués. Dans votre cas, c'était un petit poteau rond. Aucun dispositif USS ne peut les voir à moins qu'ils ne soient directement derrière le capteur. Pas conçu pour ça. En tant que conducteur, si vous ne pouvez pas voir par la lunette arrière et que la vue arrière de la grande caméra est obstruée, vous devez procéder avec prudence. Ou nettoyez l'appareil photo. Par cette bosse, vous n'avez pas procédé avec prudence lol.
ah oui je sais ! J'ai trop fait confiance au système. mais avouez que ça fait peur de voir que nos vies seront bientôt en jeu uniquement avec ce genre de système ;-) car n'oubliez pas qu'ici au canada la neige colle à tout ce qui est derrière quand on roule ! surtout sur nos belles caméras (même la boue, l'eau, le pouce......même les caméras de police hahaha)

so if I understand you correctly, you never listen to your sensor? because he can always give you false information and you can never trust him? so excuse me but where is the help in there??? it becomes much more complicated ;) I didn't really trust its why I was really not driving fast ;-) but explain to me then what is the point of the line in the manual which says that if the sensors are defective or clog we get a message? he does not send lol
Of course I do, I always listen to my sensors. But I also always turn my head when I change lanes, despite my side mirrors, blind spot monitoring and surroundings awareness. A speeding bike can show up in your side lane in no time.
I never back into a spot without driving in front of it to see where I am backing into or get off and clean the camera.
I never drive with my back window covered either.
One can always approximate the length of the car to the spot you back into. The tip of the yellow line is way in front, maybe you should stop.
The other chargers on your left look way too close to the driver's door, well, guess what. Stop. You can always back into it a little more....
For me, when I back up, I use the back window, the camera, the sensors, the side mirrors and I turn my head. Too many idiots at the mall.
No one to blame but you. Expensive lesson. Just be glad you didn't drag anyone else with you due to your carelessness.

Reactions: Yelobird
A few posts (haha) here on TMC about very, narrow poles or posts in parking lots where the ultrasonic sensors did not see them and the car hit them. There was one post, a while back, where someone used Summon and it hit a very narrow pole in a parking lot.
This is an issue with USS on all makes of cars, not just Tesla. Nothing is foolproof. The driver still has the ultimate responsiblity.

not sure because obviously you can't trust them and in addition you have to get out of your vehicle to check them before using them lol! so in the end where and the assist? (it is ironical!!!!)
Just simply you, the driver, are responsible for all things. USS are notoriously bad at a lot of things (on all cars, not just Tesla). So use them as one of the many tools at your disposal ... eyes, ears, feet, mirrors, sensors, passengers, etc, etc ... getting out and checking or having someone guide you in is way better than risking damage.

I've never trusted USS and, sadly, am in the generation where trusting FSD is not gonna happen either :oops:

My kids kids are likely never going to have to drive for themselves, or think for themselves for that matter but that's another topic :eek:

Reactions: gregdeux
I just had the same situation but the c was with a wall more than 2m! then the system wrote stop 1 second and after its all! and naturally the sensor did not work and even at 20 cm from the wall it still gave no sign! and also did not give an obstructing sensor message so I believe that something has actually changed because this message before I had it

Just simply you, the driver, are responsible for all things. USS are notoriously bad at a lot of things (on all cars, not just Tesla). So use them as one of the many tools at your disposal ... eyes, ears, feet, mirrors, sensors, passengers, etc, etc ... getting out and checking or having someone guide you in is way better than risking damage.

I've never trusted USS and, sadly, am in the generation where trusting FSD is not gonna happen either :oops:

My kids kids are likely never going to have to drive for themselves, or think for themselves for that matter but that's another topic :eek:
I hope they won't have Tesla sensors that are supposed to work with the fsd lol! because for that I prefer the good old big ones of my titan 2007 ;-) we always said when he was not correct heheheeh but I totally understand you all that the driver is responsible! just that it disgusts me that even in a tesla thing he does not think about the circle and I wonder why he has never made a small bump on the road to warn that we are good! lol there is no mechanism in operation! lol!

I just had the same situation but the c was with a wall more than 2m! then the system wrote stop 1 second and after its all! and naturally the sensor did not work and even at 20 cm from the wall it still gave no sign! and also did not give an obstructing sensor message so I believe that something has actually changed because this message before I had it
Are you trying to tell us you had another accident ;) 😅

ah oui je sais ! J'ai trop fait confiance au système. mais avouez que ça fait peur de voir que nos vies seront bientôt en jeu uniquement avec ce genre de système ;-) car n'oubliez pas qu'ici au canada la neige colle à tout ce qui est derrière quand on roule ! surtout sur nos belles caméras (même la boue, l'eau, le pouce......même les caméras de police hahaha)
Ok. Sure?

for some people on this forum, the USS is life or death.
I dont think its a life or death situation but rather we become accustom to relying on certain features. We have a 2021 MYLR that the USS have just stopped working after the newest update. Our garage literally has a few inches on front and back of the car. So now I always pull into the garage, get out see how much space I have and then have to readjust. Yes it is our responsibility to not hit anything. Yes I can hang a tennis ball or put a parking block but thats not the point. The point is we paid for features to help us and when they dont work its frustrating.

Ok. Sure?
SORRY EVERYBODY i not understand why is translate my eng type on french !

oh yes I know! I trusted the system too much. but admit that it's scary to see that our lives will soon be at stake only with this kind of system ;-) because don't forget that here in canada the snow sticks to everything behind when you drive! especially on our beautiful cameras (even mud, water, thumb......even police cameras hahaha)