Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ultrasonic sensors gone from Model X too - should I cancel my order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
866E6425-8FB2-43DB-8042-1FD3BF3BA420.jpeg
Anyone have this clip sticking out of the top of the inside of the front bumper?

There would be several potential benefits in canceling:
1) Tesla does not have a good reputation for delivering features in a complete and timely manner. If it takes years for Tesla Vision to reach feature parity with Ultrasonic equipped 2022 models then I will not have to live without these important features in the interim. During an extended period without ultrasonics there's a high probability of damaging the the car and tesla would not compensate for such avoidable damage of course. I can instead wait until either
A) Tesla fully implements tesla vision, or
B) Tesla gives up on tesla vision and returns back to ultrasonics, or
C) My RIVIAN R1S gets delivered in 2024
2) Get additional features that are not available yet such as:
A) Hardware 4.0 (better FSD, better cameras)
B) Matrix headlights
C) 4680 batteries
3) There may be many people doing the same calculus that I am doing and deciding that they don't want worse features for the same price. Delivery backlog seems to be shrinking precipitously (my X was originally due Feb-Apr 2023). The reduced customer demand may force tesla to start cutting prices or adding features or both

This typer of logic can be used to postpone purchase.... forever. There will always be new features, other competitors, and potential changes.

Reactions: gbertsch
I asked at pick-up a few days ago and the SA checked and said new Samsung cameras, but it is my first tesla so no frame of reference and not 100% sure after digging around a bit online.

The lens is supposed to be bigger:
Pic of my camera is below. Images are very clear, but again no point of reference.

That's the same camera, I think HW4 is scheduled to debut with CyberTruck.

the same thing happened with my model s. Received my vin # today with the notice about the sensors being eliminated. Since vision currently won't work with auto park and summon why should I take delivery. My current model s only has 34000 miles on it and does everything I need.
I have no doubt those features will be available again. The question is when. Summon and auto park pretty much sucked using the USS. The bar is so low that I find it hard to believe a vision-based system could be worse. I got the park assist functionality with the latest update and it works pretty well. I'd say it's actually better than USS since it also shows things on the sides of the car.

I have no doubt those features will be available again. The question is when. Summon and auto park pretty much sucked using the USS. The bar is so low that I find it hard to believe a vision-based system could be worse. I got the park assist functionality with the latest update and it works pretty well. I'd say it's actually better than USS since it also shows things on the sides of the car.
I suspect that this may turn out a bit like the tesla radar removal debacle. For a few years tesla will deliver cars without ultrasonics and try to make do with a software + camera based solution. Customers will have to live with various deficiencies with that approach. Eventually tesla will decide that they need to add back some hardware (maybe a return to ultrasonics, or maybe a front bumper camera). Elon will say that regular ultrasonics were no good but "hd" ultrasonics are. Everyone who took delivery during that interim time will have to live with the deficiencies for as long as they keep the car.

I suspect that this may turn out a bit like the tesla radar removal debacle. For a few years tesla will deliver cars without ultrasonics and try to make do with a software + camera based solution. Customers will have to live with various deficiencies with that approach. Eventually tesla will decide that they need to add back some hardware (maybe a return to ultrasonics, or maybe a front bumper camera). Elon will say that regular ultrasonics were no good but "hd" ultrasonics are. Everyone who took delivery during that interim time will have to live with the deficiencies for as long as they keep the car.
I don't ever see the USS coming coming back. There are deficiencies with USS that are resolved with cameras and ever-improving software (think poles and narrow objects). Rumor has it that the Model 3 Project Highland will have a low, bumper-mounted camera, and we know HW4 supports additional cameras.

Reactions: jboy210
I don't ever see the USS coming coming back. There are deficiencies with USS that are resolved with cameras and ever-improving software (think poles and narrow objects). Rumor has it that the Model 3 Project Highland will have a low, bumper-mounted camera, and we know HW4 supports additional cameras.
Agreed. It is more cameras and the high-resolution radar that is coming.