Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Umbrella Mode from the Outside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I admit I haven't gotten the chance to try it in the rain. I guess I'll find out.

It seems like it would depend on the type of rain, how windy it is, etc. Umbrella mode would shield a bit more from driving rain.

In theory I suppose.

Have you guys tried umbrella mode? I did, and there was little difference in dryness between that and the regular full open. It just made it harder to get into the car without bonking your head on the door.
I use it as my default. Not for rain but to prevent the FWD from opening on an obstruction overhead. Don't trust the sensors or myself and especially not valets do think about overhead clearances. So by default I use umbrella mode and just take the extra effort to pull the lever when clear. Of course using the touchscreen I can override my default and go all the way up the first time. But it requires me to make a conscious decision over the default umbrella mode so I just don't do it without thinking.