TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Umbrella Mode from the Outside

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by ReturnZero, May 30, 2016.

1. ReturnZero

ReturnZero Member

Is there a way to open the FWD in umbrella mode that isn't from the touchscreen? If I'm coming out to the vehicle while it's raining, I'd like the door to open while I get situated.

2. commasign

commasign Active Member

Just stand close to the door and it will open more vertically and then stop (hopefully) before hitting your head. Pseudo-umbrella mode.

3. ReturnZero

ReturnZero Member

Would be cool if it could tie into the rain sensor on the windshield to detect if it's raining and open in umbrella mode automatically, space permitting of course.

• Like x 2
  4. Marcos

Marcos Member

Have you guys tried umbrella mode? I did, and there was little difference in dryness between that and the regular full open. It just made it harder to get into the car without bonking your head on the door.

• Like x 1
  5. ReturnZero

ReturnZero Member

I admit I haven't gotten the chance to try it in the rain. I guess I'll find out.

It seems like it would depend on the type of rain, how windy it is, etc. Umbrella mode would shield a bit more from driving rain.

In theory I suppose.

6. grommet

grommet Member

I find "umbrella" mode useful just because it's faster to open and close. Beyond that, it isn't that useful.

7. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

I use it as my default. Not for rain but to prevent the FWD from opening on an obstruction overhead. Don't trust the sensors or myself and especially not valets do think about overhead clearances. So by default I use umbrella mode and just take the extra effort to pull the lever when clear. Of course using the touchscreen I can override my default and go all the way up the first time. But it requires me to make a conscious decision over the default umbrella mode so I just don't do it without thinking.