Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Umc 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the charge door should be able to open with any Tesla connector. The connector should be able to be inserted at any time, but removed only when the car is unlocked. This will make it possible for someone else to start charging the car while preventing disconnects and theft.

To make it even more convenient, the stationary chargers (e.g. HPTC2) could unlock the latch when charged (or at specified SOC), allowing the next person to charge, while the portable connectors would stay latched to prevent theft.

Related other thread: Umc 2.0
(Although I don't think they should be merged as this is more of a general purpose thread, not asking a specific question.)

Doug, can you rename this thread "UMC 2.0 adapter signaling" or somesuch as I recently started a general purpose "UMC 2.0" thread with the same title...

( General thread: Umc 2.0 )
I think they both ended up being general purpose threads. So I went with the merge for now.

[Moderator's note -- moved from here: Model S Design Studio at Menlo Park]

They also had a Model S UMC there. Here's the plug end (NEMA 14-50):

Plug.jpg

Note that the end piece comes off (there's a button to press to unlock it), and here are the pins:

plug2.jpg

I believe the idea is twofold:
1) These plug adapters will be cheaper than the equivalent Roadster UMC pigtail
2) The pins can tolerate many more insertion cycles than the 14-50 outlet can handle

Last edited by a moderator:
They also had a Model S UMC there. Here's the plug end (NEMA 14-50):

View attachment 4717

Note that the end piece comes off (there's a button to press to unlock it), and here are the pins:

View attachment 4718

I believe the idea is twofold:
1) These plug adapters will be cheaper than the equivalent Roadster UMC pigtail
2) The pins can tolerate many more insertion cycles than the 14-50 outlet can handle

Is this 3 phases and one earth?
If yes, adapting it with a european 3 phase plug is going to be easy!

Dumb question: I don't see myself having to unplug the UMC at all from the 14-50 outlet in the garage; I'd not take it with me in the car as I'd rarely drive long enough distances that I'd need to juice up on the road.

So, if I were to leave it plugged into the wall outlet but, unplug the other end from the car, is the UMC still sucking electricity? Like mobile phone chargers continue to do even if the phone's not plugged in at the other end?

Dumb question: I don't see myself having to unplug the UMC at all from the 14-50 outlet in the garage; I'd not take it with me in the car as I'd rarely drive long enough distances that I'd need to juice up on the road.

So, if I were to leave it plugged into the wall outlet but, unplug the other end from the car, is the UMC still sucking electricity? Like mobile phone chargers continue to do even if the phone's not plugged in at the other end?

Possibly a very small trickle. One of those phantom/vampire loads you get from a lot of equipment when it is not in use.
If it really mattered you could have an electrician put a switch on the outlet.

Standard switches are only rated for 15 or 20 amps. I would be interested to see what switch the electrician proposes. The easiest thing will probably be an RV style box with a 50 amp circuit breaker right next to the outlet.