Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC & 240v Three phase charging restarts if >16amps.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hope someone cn help but I think I have a possible intermittent fault charging. Lastnight my UMC charging would ramp upto 16amps and then reset to 0 and repeat the process constantl, the only solution was to drop to 16amps. I had exactly the same issue a few weeks ago when connected to a public AC charger and assumed it was the charger after dropping to 16amos. I have read the model 3 has 3 16amp 3.6kw modules to allow the maximum 11kw charge rate and wondered if one could be faulty. I will try charging the car an 11kw charger that has worked without issue before to confirm and will also try 32amps charging via UMC tonight to see uf the issue persists. Just want to know if I should book a service appointment before I cannot charge at all. Thanks in advance for any help.

Just tested on public three phase charger and working without issue. Also on checking my Tessie log I noticed the car actually started charging at 1am and mysteriously stopped charging at 2:37am around the time I woke up and checked it only to see it was not charging and on starting the charge I noticed the resetting when going above 16amps. Cannot believe it is a coincidence but also cannot understand what could have happened. I will charge again at home to confirm if the issue still exists but interested if anyone else has seen this issue as it is the second time I have seen it on my car and not sure if is charger or car or worse sn intermittent problem with either or both. Thank again for any help you can give.

There are several posts on this forum about charge rate reduction. I believe they are all North American owners, though. It's almost always due to voltage drop from the high amperage draw. Sometimes heat plays into it as well. Does your car show volts and amps when charging? If I remember correctly Tesla uses 10% volt decrease as the trigger to lower amp draw.

I used to experience voltage drop all the time but moved charge point closer to street feed and can now pull full 32amps regardless of temperature or other usage conditions. Just plugged in UMC at home and was able to go up to my standard 32amps@230v without any issue, so worst kind of problem an intermittent one. It’s only happened twice but now I know to look for it. I will book a service request to see if they are aware of this issue and give them the details of the two charge sessions to see if they can see what the issue might be. Hopefully it doesn’t happen when I need a full charge but Sod’s Law says thats exactly when it will rear its ugly head again. Thx again for the support much appreciated.

Reactions: LoudMusic