Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #27 is available now with topics time-stamped. We discussed: Consolidation in LiDAR manufacturers; Volvo EX90 shipping with LiDAR; FSD Beta Full Release in N.A.; FSD detecting autopilot cheats, Gwen Shotwell directly overseeing SpaceX Starship; and more. You can watch it now on YouTube. We should have it published to podcast networks shortly.

UMC available in the Tesla Gear store

You can always order the HPWC, for $1,200 (in a month or two, when they put it on the web store). $450 more, but comes with a 25' vs 18' cable, and is 80A capable (if you opt for the dual chargers). It's actually not much more than building a 30A J-1772 OpenEVSE, which will cost you about $450-500, but max amperage you can get is 24A (or 30A if you build it with larger than normal wiring etc). $750 is not a bad price, really for 40A capable EVSE.

Rather, a J1772 adapter is included in the price of the car and is provided. However, there have been some instances where the J1772 adapter was on the due bill as they weren't available at time of delivery. Since I will be heavily dependent on the J1772 adapter, I ordered a second one as a spare a couple weeks back and received it.

andrewket

Dec 20, 2012
I recently had my UMC replaced. I was told that a LOT of UMCs were going back to Tesla, being refurbished and sent back out. I hope for that price you're getting a new unit and not a refurb. Sure, same warranty and such, but still...

Manufacturers have to disclose that a product is refurbished when selling it. Tesla can use refurbished parts for warranty repair and exchange however.

You can always order the HPWC, for $1,200 (in a month or two, when they put it on the web store). $450 more, but comes with a 25' vs 18' cable, and is 80A capable (if you opt for the dual chargers). It's actually not much more than building a 30A J-1772 OpenEVSE, which will cost you about $450-500, but max amperage you can get is 24A (or 30A if you build it with larger than normal wiring etc). $750 is not a bad price, really for 40A capable EVSE.

but isn't UMC just an extension cable ? as S carries onboard charger.
unlike most J1772 OpenEVSE, that are actually a charger.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC