Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC available in the Tesla Gear store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish I would have ordered one earlier, I had every plan on doing it back in Jan but slipped my mind. Now with the extra $250 I might just see if I can continue living with out it. tbh I would just be happy if I could get my J1772 adapter sometime this year :smile:

You can always order the HPWC, for $1,200 (in a month or two, when they put it on the web store). $450 more, but comes with a 25' vs 18' cable, and is 80A capable (if you opt for the dual chargers). It's actually not much more than building a 30A J-1772 OpenEVSE, which will cost you about $450-500, but max amperage you can get is 24A (or 30A if you build it with larger than normal wiring etc). $750 is not a bad price, really for 40A capable EVSE.

I recently had my UMC replaced. I was told that a LOT of UMCs were going back to Tesla, being refurbished and sent back out. I hope for that price you're getting a new unit and not a refurb. Sure, same warranty and such, but still...

I recently had my UMC replaced. I was told that a LOT of UMCs were going back to Tesla, being refurbished and sent back out. I hope for that price you're getting a new unit and not a refurb. Sure, same warranty and such, but still...

Manufacturers have to disclose that a product is refurbished when selling it. Tesla can use refurbished parts for warranty repair and exchange however.

You can always order the HPWC, for $1,200 (in a month or two, when they put it on the web store). $450 more, but comes with a 25' vs 18' cable, and is 80A capable (if you opt for the dual chargers). It's actually not much more than building a 30A J-1772 OpenEVSE, which will cost you about $450-500, but max amperage you can get is 24A (or 30A if you build it with larger than normal wiring etc). $750 is not a bad price, really for 40A capable EVSE.

but isn't UMC just an extension cable ? as S carries onboard charger.
unlike most J1772 OpenEVSE, that are actually a charger.