Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC available in the Tesla Gear store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
but isn't UMC just an extension cable ? as S carries onboard charger.
unlike most J1772 OpenEVSE, that are actually a charger.

They are ALL safety switches (GFCI and a relay that can open/close the AC power to the vehicle), the chargers are inside the cars in all cases. J-1772 and Tesla use exactly the same protocol on the "pilot" line (1Khz square wave, the duty cycle determines the charging current availble to the car)

If you want to see how it works, see this link: http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/J1772Basics

Hence "glorified".

That would be like saying this
Gasoline.jpg
is just a glorified
Garden.jpg
!

I personally enjoy knowing that I wont arc and possibly shock myself (or destroy paint on the car) when I unplug the UMC.

And remember just copper cost on the UMC are probably ~$100 to start with.

That would be like saying this View attachment 19991is just a glorifiedView attachment 19990!

I personally enjoy knowing that I wont arc and possibly shock myself (or destroy paint on the car) when I unplug the UMC.

And remember just copper cost on the UMC are probably ~$100 to start with.

$500 or whatever may be well worth it to you, and that's fine. But the price of copper is $3.41 a pound. There's probably less than $10 of copper in the UMC. If I had to guess, the marginal cost is easily less than $100.

You can B&M (that's short for "Bitch & Moan") all you'd like about the UMC, J-1772 et all, but due to a hugely litigious society, we are stuck with these safety standards, like it or not, it's not going to change or go away anytime soon. If EVs where made by the millions (give it 5 or 10 years), you could go down to your local "pep boys" (or insert your favorite auto parts store) and pickup a spare EVSE for $100-$200, but we aren't at that point yet.. The tooling cost is high, they are not mass produced yet, manufacturing costs are still high, despite some people's opinions.

The EVSE is solely a safety system. There's enough power in these sockets to cause serious damage, injury, and death. The EVSE is there to make sure your kids can't stick their fingers in the socket, that the car doesn't draw too much power and start a fire, and that there isn't ground leakage resulting in electrical shocks.