TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

UMC cable being run over by car. OK?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by steph280, Jun 17, 2015.

1. steph280

steph280 Member

Occasionally our MS would be parked in a position which the charging cable may be run over by cars parked next to it. Will this be of concern to safety or longevity of the cable?

2. deonb

deonb Active Member

Well this is what happens when you merely trip over it, never mind drive over it.

3. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

Mine is driven over a few times a week. I always make sure there is slack on the ground so when the car drives over the cord it does not pull on the outlet or the car. Its only been 10 months, but everything works fine and there is no visible wear on the cord. You could get a leather sleeve for the cord, they make them for TIG welding leads.

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Absolutely don't let cars drive over it.

5. davewill

davewill Member

+100
    These cables are one of the weaker parts of an EVSE. I had to replace the cable on my Blink EVSE just because the holder pinched the cable each time I hung it up. After two years of using the holder the way it was designed, the wire carrying the pilot signal finally broke and BOOM I had to shell out $180 on a new cable and handle. I'm always careful not to even let it twist too much, and I just lay it gently over the holder (the new cable is much beefier and is too thick to fit in that slot anyway).

6. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

-100. A car driving over the cable laid flat places an even force on the cable, the danger is the cable crushing, which is not going to happen. I agree they are kinnda flimsy, but my worry is at the connections, not in the middle of the length of the cable.

I'll post if I run into any issues. I agree it would be preferable not to do this, but it seems very, very low risk to me.