Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC cable being run over by car. OK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is driven over a few times a week. I always make sure there is slack on the ground so when the car drives over the cord it does not pull on the outlet or the car. Its only been 10 months, but everything works fine and there is no visible wear on the cord. You could get a leather sleeve for the cord, they make them for TIG welding leads.

Absolutely don't let cars drive over it.
+100
These cables are one of the weaker parts of an EVSE. I had to replace the cable on my Blink EVSE just because the holder pinched the cable each time I hung it up. After two years of using the holder the way it was designed, the wire carrying the pilot signal finally broke and BOOM I had to shell out $180 on a new cable and handle. I'm always careful not to even let it twist too much, and I just lay it gently over the holder (the new cable is much beefier and is too thick to fit in that slot anyway).

-100. A car driving over the cable laid flat places an even force on the cable, the danger is the cable crushing, which is not going to happen. I agree they are kinnda flimsy, but my worry is at the connections, not in the middle of the length of the cable.

I'll post if I run into any issues. I agree it would be preferable not to do this, but it seems very, very low risk to me.