Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC cable diameter vs other LV2 chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking to get a J1772 charger because it’s easier to extend. The tesla cord fits under my door just right, any thicker and I wouldn’t be able to close the door. Do other LV2 chargers have the same thickness as the UMC? I’m looking at this one specifically but open to other suggestions. Splitvolt 24A NEMA 14-30 EV Charger with 26 ft Cord, Level 2 240V, Fastest NEC-Safe 30 Amp Circuit Charging, J1772 Plug, Includes EVSE Cable Travel Bag https://a.co/8ZAQJbm

Well, level 2 is a pretty broad category. The diameter of the wire is going to correspond to how many amps it needs to carry. So the cable for one built for a 100A circuit is going to be much thicker than one for a 15A circuit. The Tesla UMC is built for passing 32A from a 40A circuit, so finding one that is about that level, for passing maybe 24 or 32A should be about the same size cable thickness.

Well, level 2 is a pretty broad category. The diameter of the wire is going to correspond to how many amps it needs to carry. So the cable for one built for a 100A circuit is going to be much thicker than one for a 15A circuit. The Tesla UMC is built for passing 32A from a 40A circuit, so finding one that is about that level, for passing maybe 24 or 32A should be about the same size cable thickness.
I’ve read that tesla umc is pretty thin for the amount of current it carries. Not sure if it’s the same for other chargers. I linked one that has similar specs to tesla, but people mentioned it’s really thick. I just don’t know what is their referrence for thickness

I’ve read that tesla umc is pretty thin for the amount of current it carries.
Yes it is. Tesla pushes the envelope there, which is why I am not really a fan of running their charging cables at the maximum amps they allow.
I linked one that has similar specs to tesla, but people mentioned it’s really thick. I just don’t know what is their referrence for thickness
I don't know that you will be able to know unless you literally get the specification of the diameter of the cable for a few products you're looking at.