TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

UMC cable question

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by asgard, Sep 14, 2013.

1. asgard

asgard Member

Is it ok to leave the UMC cable plugged in 24x7x365?
    It does not seem to get hot when idle so I presume the electronics is not going to degrade.
    Thanks.

2. Crispix

Crispix Member

Absolutely ok. Most of us leave it plugged in all the time.

3. caddieo

caddieo Member

That's the advice in the owner's manual.

4. spaghetti

spaghetti Member

I would imagine that frequent plugging and unplugging would lead to a loose connection at the plug / receptacle, which would lead to increased heat, which could then lead to something melting. I leave my UMC plugged in.

5. JPP

JPP Active Member

I leave mine plugged in. But note that some folks report that the NEMA 14-50 receptacle is not rated for lots of connect-disconnect cycles. Thus I purchased a 2nd UMC NEMA 14-50 adapter which I keep in the UMC tote bag. If I need to, I disconnect the UMC at the adapter (and do not disconnect the 14-50 adapter from the wall). Thus I do not overuse the receptacle, and am not worried about failure. Of course this is a bit of overkill since a new receptacle is about $10-15, but did not want to run into the overheating/meltdown scenario occasionally noted here. I suppsoe that the connection between the UMC and adapters can fail too, so who knows what is really better.

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

No. The car is meant to be driven.

7. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Most states with labor laws say that you have to unplug it at least once on Christmas or Thanksgiving.

:tongue:

8. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

Normally, I leave it plugged in. Exception - if we are going to be away for a couple of days or more, unplug both it and the LEAF EVSE.
    Just feel a bit more comfortable that way.

9. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

whoops!

Roadster, and I'm an S. Sorry, but I think would do the same with a Roadster.

10. jordanthompson

jordanthompson 2010 2.0 Sport, VIN 0683

Hah! Had to think a moment :-D