Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC cable question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it ok to leave the UMC cable plugged in 24x7x365?
It does not seem to get hot when idle so I presume the electronics is not going to degrade.
Thanks.
I would imagine that frequent plugging and unplugging would lead to a loose connection at the plug / receptacle, which would lead to increased heat, which could then lead to something melting. I leave my UMC plugged in.

I leave mine plugged in. But note that some folks report that the NEMA 14-50 receptacle is not rated for lots of connect-disconnect cycles. Thus I purchased a 2nd UMC NEMA 14-50 adapter which I keep in the UMC tote bag. If I need to, I disconnect the UMC at the adapter (and do not disconnect the 14-50 adapter from the wall). Thus I do not overuse the receptacle, and am not worried about failure. Of course this is a bit of overkill since a new receptacle is about $10-15, but did not want to run into the overheating/meltdown scenario occasionally noted here. I suppsoe that the connection between the UMC and adapters can fail too, so who knows what is really better.